• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:49 AM

A belated Christmas present of sorts for myself... a 45 quart Engel Fridge and Transit Bag

My FWC has an icebox and I have been debating switching it out for a 12v fridge. Unfortunately I just never felt the size would be worth the cost and effort of installing a stand-up fridge. Plus the icebox has its merits and makes for a good cupboard for additional dry storage.

So after 2 years of on & off looking at fridges, from various sources in various states of condition from new to used to refurbished, I finally found one for me. I have several friends who travel with and swear by the Engel fridge. Plus I have subscribed for several years to "Australian 4WD Monthly", and all of their editors swear by it. It is definitely a top of the line product.

Posted Image

Posted Image

While strong recommendations and a top of the line product appeals to me, there was no way I was going to pay almost $1K for a fridge and transit bag. I would just keeping dealing with ice and soggy sandwiches. However I was fortunate enough to get this 6 month old fridge with the bag for $400. That was a large chunk of the mod money I had saved but deals like that don't come up often. The unit still has 18 months of factory warranty and it has hardly been used. The seller was an acquaintance and I know he takes good care of his stuff, so I jumped on it.

My plan for now is to install it in the backseat of the truck. There it should be accessible to my passenger on the road and from the camper via the sliding glass windows. Unfortunately I don't have access cab doors on my extended cab truck, so it will be awkward at times but I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run. I know of one other guy who has installed a 45qt fridge in his T100, so I will be following his lead on the install. Fairly simple, remove half of the bottom rear seat, fasten, plug in and chill. This allows enough room for the lid to fully open. A pic of his final result -

Posted Image

This is a costly investment and a big unit. Sacrificing half my back seat was not a decision I made lightly. Even with the great deal I got, I still had some buyer's remorse when it showed up this week. I like to travel rather simply. My cooler has served me well and the fridge seems so extravagant. Especially when it's still below 10 degrees here right now. But I'm sure when the summer rolls around I'll be glad to have it. For now it will at least keep my beer from freezing, lol. And like some other creature comforts I've acquired over the last year, it's worth it for the comfort of my passenger. To her credit, she was more excited about it than I was.

I will update this thread with install info and pics when I can talk myself into going outside in the near zero degree temps to get it installed. I may have some questions for the wiring-minded folks on here once I start this project.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:20 AM

Wow, big move KCOWYO! That thing is HUGE. I'm sure it will be nice to ditch the cooler. With the sort of trips you make and their frequency, any buyers remorse you may have will fade quickly. Good on ya, look forward to the install pics.

Just out of curiosity, what does something like that weigh?

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:17 AM

Sounds like you made a really good deal. Come summertime that baby will more than pay for itself in keeping all the goodies nice and cold. Congrats!!!

Marc:)

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#4 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

Nice addition....
I have one, too, and can't believe I didn't get one earlier. A definite plus for refined outings. Just make sure to secure it and the stuff in side on any off road trip. learned that the hard way first trip out. Don't let it bounce around. Dents don't come out!

good travels!!!

dave

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Will that one freeze? Definitely something thats high on my wish list.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

Just out of curiosity, what does something like that weigh?

I haven't put it on a scale but the shipping weight from UPS was at 70lbs. That's empty, full of food and drinks I have no idea where it would weigh in.

Will that one freeze?

On the coldest setting, it will freeze. Another product to add to a fridge like this, for keeping foods seperate that need freezing is the Two Zone Fridge compartment. These attach to the top of the fridge after removing the fridge's lid.

I appreciate the support fellas. I'm sure the buyer's remorse will disappear as quickly as the first beer I pull out of it. I don't know of one person who has one, who regrets the purchase. davinski's comments sound very familiar. 10-4 on securing it too. I'll look at the Slide Lock as a mounting option if that will work in the space I have.

I had contemplated getting the smaller 35qt, but the footprint is the same as the 45qt. The 45qt is just a few inches taller. I'm sure the additional room will be worth it. I'm also planning on looking at some baskets for the interior. It seems like it may be easier to retrieve something if I don't have to dig through it too much. Plus I'm thinking it may keep objects cooler more easily, if the cold air can circulate around the items in the fridge. That's just a guess though.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#7 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

kcowyo:

Yes slide lock is really nice. I keep mine in the cab,back seat like you when with folks. If by myself, it goes into the back, just under the sliding window. It is convenient to open the slider to get things, but in winter, it lets in all that cold air.

I leave it in the truck, turn it on when needed, leave the door ajar if not on. I just take the basket in the house to load it up, then bring it into the truck. Nice. There are aftermarket baskets, but can't remember who.....I am sure it is from down under. Look at the two zone freezer fridge component as well. Nice, but expensive. Burns more amps to run the freezer, but nice to have ice when it is 100 outside. Makes others really like you.......

good luck and enjoy.

Dave in seattle.

#8 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

Good buy!

After reading everyone here buying engle fridge/freezers i bought one too. I went with the 35 which is as you know a little shorter. It's lighter and a better fit (height) in my compact truck. We'll see in the long run if i made a good choice on size vs the 45.

I built a flat parcel shelf in the extra cab area of my truck. Right now i'm running it off a always on cigarette lighter in the truck. I'm planning on powering it from the camper battery with a power wire going through the camper slider and truck slide window.

If you wanted to save money you could make your own bracket by taking a hole saw to some plywood for the engle feet to fit into. strap it down with some ratchet straps.

My rear doors don't open so i mounted it on the passenger side with lid opening to the right side. This way it is easy to get food out with the pass door open and slid forward. I can't grab a cold drink though from the driver seat though.

I can't wait till summer to really try it out. Ice cream and the ability to make ice will be cool! No more soaked sandwiches :D
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

Whats the amp draw on these babies? Do you need a 2 batt set up?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

the MT45/35 are rated at 2.7A @ 12 volts. Cycle time will depend on ambient temp and what you set the thermostat at. Mine is pretty quiet. Sounds a little like a desktop pc. I added a solar system to keep up with the freezers current draw.
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users