13 replies to this topic

#1 shoestring

shoestring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

First, am I crazy to store my ATC Bobcat outside this winter - I live in Truckee, CA, and we usually get a lot of snow (excepting, of course, the last few winters). 

I plan to have it on and off the truck during the winter, but when it is not on my truck, I think that I may leave in front of my house?  Obviously, I intend to clear the roof of snow after each snowfall.  For what it’s worth, it’s just a shell model with a heater (i.e., no sink, water, etc.).

Also, I poked around a bit and did not find threads talking about different options for a base to store the camper on – I’m sure that there are some posts…if anyone can link to them, sweet.  If not, what do people use – saw horses, cinder blocks, wood frames, etc.?

Any thoughts and/or advice is appreciated...

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

One thing to consider is the snow load on the camper when on some type of base. Make sure what ever you use it will be able to handle the extra weight of any snow.

Some strong saw horses might work.

My camper stays on all the time so i don't have a need for some sort of platform to set the camper on.

Many years ago I did have a "light weight" hard sided camper that I would remove when not in use.

I used some oil drums I had plus a 6X6 beam to go between the drums.

Worked great and the height was such that I didn't have to raise or lower the camper much from the truck to the storage supports.

Just some thoughts.

There is a thread somewhere, maybe Mark BC will find it.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Many of us have built dollies, similar to the

one in this thread

that support the weight and allow for moving the camper about.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 shoestring

shoestring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

thanks for the link ski - lots of good ideas...

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

Here are a couple of more threads about storage-support, with or without a dollie:

Supporting the Grandby?

This one includes a link off-site to more ideas:

Hawk owner needs advice for removal and storage

And this one -- a post by the legendary Father of WTW, from the most ancient times -- one of the oldest known posts:

Long term camper storage

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#6 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

I built a base out of 2x6's with large caster wheels for ease of movement.  You might need skis instead of wheels. :)

#7 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

I leave mine on full time and use it as a Ski Chalet - so I try to use it when it's snowing. I'm sure it's better to keep it inside, but it won't get ruined outside, especially if it's safe in your driveway (no rear-endings or road treatment chemicals).

If possible, I'd try to get a clear approach for loading the camper (so you're not backing up over mounds of ice/snow when you line it up). If you can do it all on pavement that seems ideal...

I think Overland Hadley has gotten snowed-in a few times (stored outside all winter?). You might get some thoughts from Nathaniel.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#8 shoestring

shoestring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

camper 101 - i'm hoping to use it in the winter too - perfect base camper for trading backcountry laps with the wife...yeah, we plan to snow blow the area where we keep it...fall is in the air, so we've got to make some decisions soon...

found some good ideas from the links provided...i might, however, just use concrete blocks with 3/4 plywood as a base...four in the corners and two or three in the middle...

#9 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

I use 4 furniture dollies and it rolls around pretty well. Needs to stay on concrete tho.

#10 shoestring

shoestring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:14 AM

I use 4 furniture dollies and it rolls around pretty well. Needs to stay on concrete tho.

I was thinking that I may use 4 dollies with 3/4 ply. Seems like a simple, cheap option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users