28 replies to this topic

#1 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

A few times I did, in fact, wish I had a winch, just truck camping, and coming across people who were stuck and needed help I couldn't give them.  Lots of "Sorry, man."

A few times, too, I backed off of a road I was not sure I could deal with if things went south.  Prudence being the better part of valor, and all that.  We often camp in Sierra National Forest (good climbing) and don't see another car for days.  Sketchy cell service, 30 miles from a tow truck.  Self-reliance.

So: do you carry a winch for your truck and 1000-plus pounds of FWC?  Ever wish you did?  If you do carry a winch, what brand and rating do you think is appropriate for your truck and FWC?  It seems like Warn winches are the industry standard—any reason to look elsewhere?

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Mark

Note: Here's my new truck: in Wyoming on its inaugural drive from Boulder CO to the SF Bay Area.  Boulder was the closest place to CA I could find an access cab with manual transmission.  Jeez, I'm getting old.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0804.JPG

Edited by huckfinn, 27 December 2014 - 07:12 PM.

2015 Tacoma V6 Access Cab 4x4 TRD

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#2 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

Kilroy,

For me, who has never had a winch, any basic principles (or common errors) that you would be good enough to share?

Mark

2015 Tacoma V6 Access Cab 4x4 TRD

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#3 Jon&Sue_DeArman

Jon&Sue_DeArman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Washington

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

Try a 6-8 Ton Com-along w/ a roll of cable or strapping; easier to store and a lot more versatile.  Remember, you're not winching your truck up a tree.

#4 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

I installed a front hitch on my Tundra thinking that I might get one in the future. I was planning to do a receiver hitch mounted one so I could put it in the front or back. Problem is they are dang heavy to lug around.

#5 mitch h

mitch h

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Locationbrazil,in.

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

Most  winches rate their max. rateing with first layer of rope or cable, more layers less capacity. Had a 9500 lb. warn on my rock crawler, worked great. Get the rope if you can, easier on the hands. Through a blanket or something on the middle of cable on a hard pull incase something breaks. Helps on recoil .   Mitch

Edited by mitch h, 27 December 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#6 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

I have a portable Warn winch that fits in a receiver hitch. Can use in the front or the rear of vehicle, comes in handy when you least expect it.

#7 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

I have one mounted in my Aluminess bumper on my 2012 Tacoma. Like on-board air, its one of those things that you hopefully don't use often but it can make the difference between getting out or having a massively expensive tow.  

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:08 PM

If you're thinking to go places where you might need a winch, you need some education first. With no idea of your previous off-pavement experience I'll assume none and strongly suggest taking an off-pavement driving skills class or two. I knew that while I have enough experience to teach my wife how to drive off-pavement I also knew that I wouldn't be able to put it in a simple, logical presentation on the first pass. So I talked her into taking a class. My thinking is that she may be the person who has to get us out of where ever we happen to be, so she needs to know what to do.

As it happened a WTC Instructor friend of ours was also interested in taking a class and had done some research, which pointed her at Tom Severin. http://www.4x4training.com/

I asked an acquaintance of ours about him figuring that he was involved enough in the "Expo arena" that he might know who was good and who wasn't, and it turned out that he occasionally helps out with Severin's classes. I figured that it couldn't hurt so the three of us signed up, but I mostly audited the class.

With over 30 years of off-pavement driving experience I still learned some things from his intro class. Since taking the class I periodically put my wife behind the wheel and have her drive. The first time that I did that she was really freaked out. (Might have had something to do with the ~15 Early Broncos that we were leading, dunno...) She did more than fine and that experience really cemented some of the things that she'd learned in the class. She did so well that now she wants to drive on occasion, something that I'm happy to have her do.

That said, our new to us exploration/trails rig has an 8274 & rig-specific mount/bumper waiting for it, and our CTD has an 18k Superwinch that I really need to figure out a mounting method for.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:48 PM

12,000 lb Warn on the front of my Dodge.  Have used it many times, mostly rescuing others.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#10 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:01 AM

Here is a link you might find interesting:  http://expeditionpor...hout-the-worry/

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users