Death Valley - April 2024

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
It's a small world guys, tuned into more of your Death Valley posts and to warm up from the cold Winter we are having in the high desert of the western Great Basin and to my surprise the name William Lewis Manly jumps out at me :LOL:! You see I had just stumbled over the book "Death Valley in '49" last month and had just finishing reading it and there u guys were attending a paper about his adventures. What's funny is I was thinking about asking the WTW bunch in this very forum later this week " if any one else had ever heard of this guy" and here he is staring at me in your post! Manley, the small mule, the old ox and the dog are also some of my new heroes of the old west. Thanks!

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
You see I had just stumbled over the book "Death Valley in '49" last month and had just finishing reading it and there u guys were attending a paper about his adventures. What's funny is I was thinking about asking the WTW bunch in this very forum later this week " if any one else had ever heard of this guy" and here he is staring at me in your post!
Deb found that book in an antique store in Port Townsend, WA about 25 years ago. She was completely enthralled with Manly's story. Fast forward some years and she HAD to write and illustrate Manly's story. We spent four years traveling the entire route from Wisconsin to Santa Clarita including some very remote places which our camper has enabled. She spent many days reading and re-reading that book. She also got his serialized stories from newspapers of the 1880s, plus other accounts and letters, now stored at the Huntington Library.

So yes, that story has fascinated other people on WTW! She enjoyed giving four talks on this subject. We sure enjoyed being surprised by Monte and Julie just before one of those talks.

We'll be at the '49er Encampment in November swapping stories about Manly and the other Death Valley 49ers.

Her website has a map and many other details of the journey:
https://debfoxdesign.com/manlys-pioneer-route-west.shtml

ski3pin said:
We hope you enjoy the story and photos.
"Enjoy" is an understatement. Your trip reports are always a delight and we were lucky to be a small part of your trip! Can't wait for part 3.

Smokecreek1 said:
It's a small world guys, tuned into more of your Death Valley posts and to warm up from the cold Winter we are having in the high desert of the western Great Basin and to my surprise the name William Lewis Manly jumps out at me :LOL:! You see I had just stumbled over the book "Death Valley in '49" last month and had just finishing reading it and there u guys were attending a paper about his adventures. What's funny is I was thinking about asking the WTW bunch in this very forum later this week " if any one else had ever heard of this guy" and here he is staring at me in your post! Manley, the small mule, the old ox and the dog are also some of my new heroes of the old west. Thanks!

Smoke
You are absolutely right Smoke. The saga of William Lewis Manly and John Rogers rescue of the Bennett and Arcan families is one of phenomenal self sacrifice and heroism. It gave us chills to walk where they walked. Deb does a great job bringing the story to life at her talks. It is good to have real heroes.

rubberlegs said:
"Enjoy" is an understatement. Your trip reports are always a delight and we were lucky to be a small part of your trip! Can't wait for part 3.
You are very kind. Thanks rubberlegs! :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks for the trip.Great photos.
Really nice to see Donna out and about.
Frank
Thanks Frank! Yes, it is wonderful that Donna is getting back to what was such a big part of her and Ted's time together.

What a great trip, and you were able to share it with your friend. Your point and shoot did a fine job, very nice photos. I should probably head to Volcanic Tablelands, someplace even I might not be able to avoid finding/seeing petroglyphs!! What is the latest in the season you guys have traveled to and explored in Death Valley?

dr.tucson said:
What a great trip, and you were able to share it with your friend. Your point and shoot did a fine job, very nice photos. I should probably head to Volcanic Tablelands, someplace even I might not be able to avoid finding/seeing petroglyphs!! What is the latest in the season you guys have traveled to and explored in Death Valley?
Doc, thank you the nice comment. Let me know if you venture to the Volcanic Tablelands. The BLM has several parking areas for petroglyph sites.

Mid April is about it for us visiting DVNP, and that's staying in the higher regions. In June of 2005 (a wet snowy year) we returned to climb Telescope Peak as it offered an opportunity to use ice axes in this desert park. :)

Back
Top Bottom