I did a stupid solar thing!

Santiam Camper

Advanced Member
I think I did something stupid because of solar ignorance.
I have a 2017 Fleet camper with a solar panel on the roof and a solar panel connection near the camper door and a Zamp Solar Controller.
I recently purchased a Bluetti EB3A portable power station with a PV120 120 watt, 24.4 volt portable solar panel.
Without thinking, I plugged the panel into the solar panel connection on the rear of the camper to see if it would charge my batteries.
Then I checked my Zamp solar charge controller panel and saw flashing 601 error.
I disconnected the solar panels but the error messages continued.
According the Zamp codes, there was no longer a battery connection. I suspect that the 24.4 volt panels are the issue.
I cannot clear the error codes from the controller panel. My batteries show a full charge and all my lights on the camper are working and the circuit breakers are on and I cannot find any blown fuses in the fuse panel

HELP! Where do I go from here?

Mike

Hmm, zamp manual Zamp Solar Charge Controller Trouble Shooting and Error Codes (B01, 60

The relevant bits might be here:
b01 - Battery Disconnected

• This fault code appears when the Portable solar kit cannot detect a battery bank. Typical reasons for this can be:

The portable kit is not attached to the battery bank. Attach portable kit to the RV battery bank with the alligator clips. If the RV is equipped with a Zamp Solar side wall port, plug in the portable kits SAE plug into the side wall port. The controller’s LCD display should no longer show a b01 fault code and instead, it will show a voltage reading.

• The RV’s battery bank voltage less than 10-VDC. This fault code also appears when the controller cannot recognize the RV’s battery bank if battery bank’s voltage has fallen below 10-VDC. If a voltmeter is not available, one method to verify the battery bank is good, is to check if the RV’s lights, fans or pumps function. If none of these devices work, the battery could be dead, or it is probably below 10-VDC. The battery bank will need to be fully charged using shore power or running a generator for at least 2 hours.

• The fuse in the portable kits wiring harness is missing or blown (uncommon), inspect and replace.

• If the RV’s has a solar side wall port, check for a missing or blown fuse, unattached solar port wiring at the battery bank. Inspect and correct the wiring, replace the fuse if required. The controller’s LCD display should no longer show a b01 fault code and instead it will show a voltage reading.

[*]
Note: An alternate method is to check if the Zamp Solar portable solar kit is functioning correctly is to attach the kit directly to the vehicles “starter” battery using the alligator clips. The LCD display should no longer show a b01 fault code and instead it will show a voltage reading.

I would try the last bit under NOTE and connect it to your truck battery and see if the fault clears.

Could this be a issue of reversed polarity that the Zamp is wired to the polarity of the new unit plugged in? A volt meter will help sort wiring out.

pvstoy said:
Could this be a issue of reversed polarity that the Zamp is wired to the polarity of the new unit plugged in? A volt meter will help sort wiring out.
Vic Harder said:
Patrick, that was likely the cause. Blown fuse is likely the result.
Vic i would start with that. I sure typed a bunch of jiberish at the end there.

To be clear, Zamp is known to have the positive wired reversed as one would think. So with the Zamp or any wiring it is good to check which one is the positive. When adding a second panel on the FWC in the second input port check how the polarity is wired.

Back
Top Bottom