Sealing Seams

ACom

Advanced Member
Just a quick question on sealing the seams on the pop up material. The seams on my 2000 Grandby do not appear to have ever been sealed. Do most of you bother? I've been in some rain and even after washing the camper with the roof up, I've had no leaks but it just seems like a good thing to do.

I can't remember where, but i think it was Stan who said that we could use VLP Vinyl Repair for these holes. I could use it as my 2001 hawk shell does leak at those holes. However, I cannot find this stuff. Walmart, target, auto parts stores, even hobby stores just don't carry it. Tries west marine, no go.

Anyone know where I could get it easy? Or is there another product that could be used.

Then, is it betty to apply on the outside or inside. I was thinking outside for the stitch holes, except for the velcro....seal that from the inside.

Thanks, All

Dave in Seattle......

I found some of the VPL a while back at a local auto parts store, not sure what I bought it for but I have some. I would also assume that SeamGrip which is available at any outdoor store would work fine as well.

If I end up doing it, then I would do the outside for sure. That is where the rain enters from so best to block it there. Same way you do a tent. I just don't want to do it unless it is something necessary and that most of you guys have done. My hesitation is that most of these seam sealers get sticky in the heat then end up making a mess when everything is all folded up.

Ben mentioned a while back that the sticky thing was a problem. On my last FWC (now TT's) that did happen in the heat.

I think the sticky stuff you guys are refering to is the glue from the velcro. I have that stuff on mine as well but have had good success in removing most of it with Goof Off. Not sure if it assists with sealing the seams or not.

Thanks, guys for the info.
Don't know what I am going to do, but I will wait for Stan to chime in. I think some goof-off to get some of that velcro glue off would be nice. Then I can cover the thread holes. Some of the glue covers them now, but not all.

So simple, yet so complex.

Dave

Craig,
Got'm thanks you mucho. Whatta guy!!!!

Delta,
I went up in a '08 Mooney Ovation 3 yesterday. WOW!!!!
San Antonio to Tucson in 3.75 hours.

Most customers I have talked to in the past have used the "seam sealer" with some success. See link below that Puffins posted.

I'm not sure the Vinyl glue would be my first choice, but it also might work.

=======================================================

I used water based seam sealer inside and out this winter from REI. It did appear to make a difference in the little rain leaks I was getting while driving.
http://www.rei.com/product/735798

Craig,

Delta,
]
Cool, hope they fit.

As from the advice of Mike Duncan, Ben's salesperson back in his FWC days, He recommended a waterbase seamsealer to do the stiching. I have done three brand new campers with this inside and out. If your liner is not new then I would wash the liner and use a soft brush at the stiching. Let it dry, and dry some more. Then you can seal away.

Kenyon Seam Sealer 3 is the product I used: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80947

The new liner that FWC is using has fewer stiching and with the thicker material it looks like the stiching would be sealed by the material. The holes look like they close up. But I did them anyway on a friends camper.

Craig,

Delta,

That Mooney is a $600K + airplane...I'd like to be able to afford to fly one, but settle for an '04 C-172SP. Not sure what the fuel burn on the 315hp Mooney is, but self serve 100LL at the local airport just went to $6.10 a gallon.

Was it a "glass cockpit" version? Starting this year Cessna only makes glass cockpit 172's, 182's 210"s etc. I'm scheduled for some ground school and a few hours with an airplane whore (instructor) to become certified to fly the new glass cockpit 172 in the club. I won't be spending much time in it as it rents for $150.00 an hour wet. I'll be sticking with old "steam gauge" airplanes for a while .

Its an Oviation 3 the 3 is an extra $20K. Less than 4 hours on it at delivery for $439K. Bush's tax break lets my buddy deduct 80% of the purchase price the first year. If I bought it I wouldnt have to pay the $2700 I owed the IRS this year. I guess the rich do get richer. It is really a slick plane. Very reminicent of a single tail Bonanza in style. No trim tab on the tail the entire tail is trimable and it still has the reverse slant. Electric speed brakes on the wings. Huge 6 cyl injected non turbo that cruises at 195 kns. Total flying time from San Antonio to Palm Springs was 5.75 hours.

I’ve been treating my ‘99 Eagle vinyl with 303 and it’s in great shape given the age and use. I’m the fourth owner and about to embark on season 2. Ready to seal the stitching as I had some seeping at the end of last season in driving rain. I will go with the recommended water based seam sealer but have conflicted feelings about cleaning the past goo first with acetone. I think I’ve read every thread on the topic but still am undecided on my plan of attack for prep of this maintenance task. Hoping I might be convinced one way or the other so as not to end up in a scenario where I do damage and regret my choice.

Mskevtastic said:
I’ve been treating my ‘99 Eagle vinyl with 303 and it’s in great shape given the age and use. I’m the fourth owner and about to embark on season 2. Ready to seal the stitching as I had some seeping at the end of last season in driving rain. I will go with the recommended water based seam sealer but have conflicted feelings about cleaning the past goo first with acetone. I think I’ve read every thread on the topic but still am undecided on my plan of attack for prep of this maintenance task. Hoping I might be convinced one way or the other so as not to end up in a scenario where I do damage and regret my choice.
I’d call Marty at ATC and ask for his recommendation. There’s a good chance he may have built your camper.

Back
Top Bottom