Photo
- - - - -

Where to carry a Honda EU2000i generator?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:54 PM

So for various reasons (don't have solar yet, like to camp in shade, need a back-up way to charge truck battery since we travel solo and mostly because I want one) I am going to buy the Honda EU2000i for our crew cab Ram 2500 with a FWD Hawk camper. 

I don't want to carry the genny in our camper and I don't have any outside storage boxes mounted. So my question is can this generator be carried safely inside our cab tucked down on the floor behind the passenger's seat? (I can carry the extra gas stored through the access ports in the Hawk that go to the attachment points of the PU bed.) If the gas tank lid is well sealed will it smell inside the cab?

Thanks,
Steve

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

Steve, do you really need the 2000? I take a Yamaha 1000 with us when we travel to places where I don't think solar will keep up. It's only 29 pounds. I do keep it in the camper, with no odor issues. Gas on the other hand can be stinky. I kept a 1 gallon container in the side storage box (last year), and the plastic box liner still has a feint gas odor. It should be ok between the camper and bed wall, but could get really dusty.

Another gas option is to carry it in a rack basket on top. I'm considering getting a rotopax, and carrying it flat.

I am haunted by waters

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:48 PM

Steve,

I have the EU2000i and have carried it in the cab behind the front seats. No odor if you close the vent in the gas cap. Unless you really need 2kw for other things, the 1kw should be plenty & 30lbs is much better than 60. With either you will need an AC battery charger to get more than 8 amps DC out of it.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:49 PM

Steve, do you really need the 2000? I take a Yamaha 1000 with us when we travel to places where I don't think solar will keep up. It's only 29 pounds... 
Another gas option is to carry it in a rack basket on top. I'm considering getting a rotopax, and carrying it flat.

That is a good point. I considered the 1000 but the 2000 is only 200 bucks more. The extra weight doesn't bother me and we have the room on the floor behind Sioux's seat. Will the 1,000 keep your batteries charged up using the 110V connection? Will it put a 12V charge on your truck battery if for some reason it goes dead in the middle of nowhere? If so, I'll do the 1000.

#5 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:02 PM

The Honda EU2000i has an excellent gas filler vent that can be closed so absolutely no vapor escapes, if you actually remember to rotate the cap lever to the correct position.

I always carried my Honda EU2000i in the far forward position on the camper floor. I am hesitant of having any flammable liquids (in any type of container) in the passenger compartment in case of an accident that compromised the integrity of the passenger compartment. I didn't want to be splashed with a flammable liquid.

If I had taken the effort to drain the gas tank of the Honda EU2000i, I could have felt better about carrying it anywhere, including the passenger compartment.

Just a note on intermittent use of the Honda EU2000i. I found several YouTube videos (by an Eastern European guy, I think) on how to insert a gas shut off valve in the carburetor gas line. This allows you shut off the gas to the carburetor, and to run the engine until the gas is emptied out of the carburetor. That action keeps the carburetor clean and dry, thus making the next start up an easy task. Worked great for me.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:21 PM

That is a good point. I considered the 1000 but the 2000 is only 200 bucks more. The extra weight doesn't bother me and we have the room on the floor behind Sioux's seat. Will the 1,000 keep your batteries charged up using the 110V connection? Will it put a 12V charge on your truck battery if for some reason it goes dead in the middle of nowhere? If so, I'll do the 1000.

Yes, the 1000, using the 120 connection keeps the camper and Airstream batteries topped off nicely. I would be cautious about using 12 volt from any generator directly on a battery. Reports of frying batteries if used too long.

Both of my Yamaha generators (1000 & 2800) have fuel shutoff valves, so that is not a concern. I know, as mentioned above, that some Hondas do not. A word of caution with any generator. If not used for more than a week or so, run the fuel out of the carburetor. I also use Stabil in every tank. These generators have a tendency to gum up if you leave gas in them too long, and it's a pain to pull them apart.

I am haunted by waters

#7 NoPlanMan

NoPlanMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:32 PM

I'm much like you. Solo, F250 crew cab and carry a e2000 on the back fold out metal plate (folds out when back seats are up). The cap allows zero fumes out if vent is turned off. You can place it toward the middle, wrap a rope or climbing web through the handle and keep it from tipping and off you go. That's what I do and it works for me. The 2000 is a good buy and having more capacity is good when the power goes out at home. The weight and price difference is not much compared to the usefulness you get from the thing when the power goes off.

You can run a lot of scenarios where the gas could be dangerous, ex., You could have it mounted in an external container, get hit at that point start a fire and you are incapacitated or cannot get out. I raced open wheel cars with the fuel tanks ( filled with aviation fuel) on both sides of your legs and still had fun. Don't make things too complicated. 

Enjoy.

Ps. Honda's running a sale on their products right now.

#8 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

So is anyone else besides Sasquatch using the Yamaha generators? I like Hondas but I'm not fixated on them and I really like the fuel shut-off valve idea. (Yes, I know I can rig one up but still...)

The Yamaha EF2000 appears to be the same as the Honda but 15# lighter AND with a fuel shut-off valve. What say you all...

Thanks,

Steve

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

Not so much for camper use, but I found a replacement gas cap for my Honda EU2000i that plumbs to either my 6 gallon or 3 gallon boat kicker tanks. This allows for running for days. It is part of my kit for our annual power failures that have gone as long a week. I depend on the generator for keeping my fridge and freezer cold.  I add the Marine Stabil to all my storage tanks. 

The extended run systems are available for Yamaha and other gensets.

Search for "generator extended run gas cap"

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 NoPlanMan

NoPlanMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

Paul's nailed it. Buy for the camper and the other things at home. High quality, sealed caps allow you to run for days off of aux tanks. Go for the big generator. All are powered by gas, and all carry the same risk/reward. EU 2000i is a good deal....in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users