Photo
- - - - -

Where to carry a Honda EU2000i generator?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:51 AM

I am also using a 2K honda. I have my house wired on a transfer switch so I can run most of my house with it. I used to be scared to put it in the camper because of gas smell. I have carried the generator in my camper for almost two years now and no smell at all.  I camp where there is never anyone there.  At the end of the day I turn on the generator. If it is cold out I have a small 1500 watt max electric heater I use. It warms the camper up nice. I plug a movie into my lap top and watch a movie and recharge the batteries. I don't go anywhere without my generator and camper. 

#12 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:43 AM

When I had camper built, I had Stan make the cabinet under the roll over couch built taller so that I could put my Honda 1000 in cabinet. It is not too often I bring the Honda 1000, unless I am fishing and need to charge my batteries in my boat for the Minn Kota trolling motor. The Honda 1000 has more than enough output for the camper when needed. The larger Honda would just take up that much more room needed for storage.

#13 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

I purchased a Honda EU2000i Companion unit for use with the camper trailer (Rockwood hardside A-frame popup) and for general utility use around home and elsewhere.  I will be purchasing a second unit to be connected to the first (Companion) to boost me up to a continuous output level high enough to run the household refrigerator, some lights, the thermostat and furnace blower fan, and a small TV at home, and also enough power to run the camper's A/C or heat pump (although I have no notions of ever running a gennie overnight--would have to be absolutely solo in a camping area to do so).

On a test run to a "no hookups" camping area two weeks ago, I found the single 2000i would run my 12 amp max charge battery charger hooked directly to the house battery on the "Eco" throttle mode, and that the new-ish battery would come to full charge within 15-30 minutes following a full day's use of the Fantastic Fan on low setting and some minor use of the interior and exterior lighting. 

I am also impressed with how well the fuel tank's vented cap eliminates fuel smell when carried inside the camper or in the pickup's bed (under its fiberglass shell cover).  Transport of the fuel supply is strictly outside, where our unit has a "toy hauler" platform forward which allows for secured carry of such items.

I don't need it for this purpose, but my front-mounted 2" receiver hitch and a hitch-hauler can be used for fuel can transport.  Mine rides high enough to not affect the approach angle badly, though YMMV.

Foy

#14 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:52 PM

My buddies have the Yamaha i2000 and it works fine.  It's what I'll get when I get one.  Nothing wrong with Honda but I like the less weight and the shut off. I have other Yamaha products and all have been reliable.  

When we have a larger group we do group meals and run a griddle that can pull more than 1000w at start so the 2000 is better for our use.

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#15 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:36 PM

When I carry my generator but I don't want my trailer for some reason I built a hitch mounted gas can holder. 

Newgascarrier1_zpsca467fd5.jpg

Newgascarrier5_zps0ead8cfa.jpg

#16 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:08 AM

FWIW, I've heard that running a small engine dry and storing it that way risks drying out all the seals and gaskets inside.  So I don't run mine dry.

I always use non-ethanol gas with stabilizer in it.  Then when I'm storing it for a while I run it at least once a month with some kind of load on it.  I try to use it for something I'm already doing, like plugging my air compressor into it when I fill up my tires.  If the gas is getting old, I'll run it dry and then put in just a little bit of fresh gas and stabilizer to keep everything lubed up.  Using non-ethanol gas means there's no ethanol to break down the rubber and plastic, and the stabilizer keeps the gas from varnishing. 

But I don't claim to be an expert...that's just how I take care of my equipment.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#17 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:15 AM

I do the same thing. 

#18 Joel Deutsch

Joel Deutsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCatawba County, NC

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:40 PM

I just read thru this thread looking for ideas for an outside container to carry my new Yamaha EF 1000 generator. It looks like I will not need one. That's great!

Now I need to find some sort of a gas can carrier for the outside of my Hawk. Ideally, I would like to find something that could be mounted on and flip out from the rear bumper of my F-150. I know I've seen a number of gas carriers that mount to the exterior of a camper around -- I don't think that I've seen one on an FWC -- they look like a triangle in front of a square and carry a way too large gas can.

I have an 85 watt solar panel and two Group 34 AGM batteries, so the need for a generator or shore power is borderline -- but, it does exist. The Yamaha is supposed to have a 12 hour run time on .6 gallons of gas, so if I carry a one or two gallon tank for the generator I think that will be plenty. I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel, but for a place to buy something -- a full tank carrier, that will fill this need. 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Edited by Rambling OBHF, 06 October 2015 - 04:51 PM.

2010 Ford F-150 XLT with a 2010 FWC Hawk, air bags and solar panels

#19 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

What I did is over kill for your application. After putting on my camper I found that my on board gas tank is too small for me to go into the back country for chukar hunting. I bought two Rotopax 4 gal containers and I made a mount to my hitch.  I made it so I can get into the camper and I can use it as a step. 

Newgascarrier1_zpsca467fd5.jpg

Newgascarrier2_zps783232e9.jpg

Newgascarrier5_zps0ead8cfa.jpg

#20 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:04 AM

Mr. Idahoron, I love the idea of running a 1500 watt heater off the honda. Sounds much cheaper than trying to rig up a propex or an atwood since I already have the generator. No way I'll run my Olympian all night. Too dangerous.

Have you run the heater all night? Will the generator last all night without the gas cap mod to a bigger tank?

Great info, I think you're going to save me a significant amount of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users