#71 Porkface

Porkface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFisherville, KY

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:15 AM

Sorry to revive this old thread but I discovered it last year and am only now working on the mod. But I'm confused.

I've looked at all the photos on this thread but I can't quite see enough details. I can't make out how everything's wired.

I have the DROK controller referenced in Ozy's post above. This controller has the rotary speed control and a three way toggle switch. If I'm reading the description on Amazon correctly, the three way toggle will reverse the fan rotation direction. Can anyone confirm this?

If the DROK toggle will reverse fan rotation, can't I remove the OEM toggle and speed control. All I'd need to keep is the fuse holder. Has anyone done this. Any advise is appreciated.

#72 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:00 AM

--snip--

I have the DROK controller referenced in Ozy's post above. This controller has the rotary speed control and a three way toggle switch. If I'm reading the description on Amazon correctly, the three way toggle will reverse the fan rotation direction. Can anyone confirm this?

If the DROK toggle will reverse fan rotation, can't I remove the OEM toggle and speed control. All I'd need to keep is the fuse holder. Has anyone done this. Any advise is appreciated.

I just did this mod this summer. The three way switch operates the same as the existing three way switch (In, Off, Out). Yes, you can remove it. I had a cookie tin that I cut up with a metal nibbler and a drill to fit the rotary speed control and the 3 way switch in place of the old 3 way switch. The new control's wires are not long enough to reach to the speed control hole. I did not have to drill the plastic of the shroud.

Because I use Anderson PowerPoles with my ham gear, I added PowerPoles to the wires coming finto the fan wiring area. This allowed me to do all the work at the bench and test using a 12v power supply I had and just plug ithe power back in when I was finished with the mods.

The hardest  part for me was tidying up the wiring to attach and wrap around the fan shroud. VHB tape and hot glue helped.  I wasn't as neat as I should have been because I had to hurry to finish before a camping trip. Take photos as you go to record where the original wiring runs. I didn't do that. It would have helped. Don't rush like I did. ;)

You will appreciate the reduction in power consumption and great reduction in noise. Minimum speed will exhaust the steam from boiling water for coffee/tea quickly and won't exhaust your heated air in the camper. The fan now uses about 0.2 amps now instead of 1.5 amps on low.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#73 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:22 AM

Ditto on the noise reduction and electro use... great to just have a gentle flow of air w/o the noise. Hang in there ...it is a squirrelly job with the wires and hot glue but once done you'll be happy. My three way switch still is good in and out.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#74 Porkface

Porkface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:32 PM

Finally able to get back to this project. Everything installed and working. The controller is quiet but, unfortunately the fan squeaks in one direction. It squeaks venting out. Guess I never noticed with the noise from the high speed fan with the old controls.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Tony

#75 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:01 AM

when i did this with an inexpensive ebay PWM control it squealed like crazy when on low speed.  I fixed it with a large capacitor across the power leads... might need to add a coil inline as well.  Otherwise, having the variable speed feature is awesome.

#76 Porkface

Porkface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think the squeak has anything to do with the PWM controller. The fan squeaks when I spin the fan blades by hand and it has a cyclic sound. It sounds like the squeak is coming from the motor area. Maybe a bearing?

I tried to remove the fan blades. I couldn't reach the center hub of the fan blades and I was pulling so hard I was afraid of breaking the blades.

I agree on the variable speed, that's why I did the mod. The stock fan was too fast and loud.

I have an extra computer case fan so I'll try that mod. I'm just after a little extra ventilation to reduce condensation.

#77 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:06 PM

Bingo on that... I did the mod... and love it. BUT.... mine is silent on exhaust but I get the eck...sound on the intake on a cyclical pattern. I think the blades are balanced one way but may have a burr that hits something ...I have yet found... the other way. It is one of those things that either makes you smile and say screw it or it will drive you to find it.... I use mine on exhaust 99% so ... screw it was easy. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#78 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:24 PM

Realize that if I am going to get any use of my fan I will have to quiet it down . Thinking I will order the Drok like Ozy mentioned. Have they been working out for you that have used that one ? Or is there a better - easier option? Thanks.

#79 Ozy

Ozy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:42 AM

The one that I got is working awesome.

#80 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:49 AM

I installed the Drok PWM speed +direction control board in my Fantastic Fan and it works very well but makes a whining noise at low speeds.The noise goes away at higher speeds but is somewhat irritating at the lowest speeds.Does any one have any ideas as to reducing the noise? I did some research and the nature of the PWM's low frequency seems to be the culprit.I can live with it but had I known about the noise I would not have done this mod.

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fan, Fantastic Fan, Modification, Speed adjustment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users