Photo

Hole in affordable pop top availability market (opinion)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

Somebody NEEDS to be making/developing an affordable light weight foam/fiberglass pop top camper base.
I see a big availability HOLE in the market there.
Part of what makes the XP Camper SO expensive is the VERY nice high end $$ but unnecessary molded fiberglass interior. Also the raising top (walls/ceiling) contribute to cost since another big piece of camper has to be molded and finished. Yes, it is VERY nice, but unobtainable to MOST young camping families, and that is where I believe the largest demand is.
The wood rot problem and aluminum thermal transfer issues would both be sidestepped, and I believe it could be produced competively if built with a conventional (wood cabinet) camper interior-if economies of scale/production numbers could be achieved.
Producing it in Texas somewhere near Houston where fiberglass resin production is centered (saving trucking costs), and in Texas where labor costs and taxes are not west coast high would help keep production costs down.
Just a pipe dream at this point, but I believe a business case could certainly be made for it if the economy continues to wobble along at this semi reasonable level. I believe someone would do it if there were more confidence in where the economy is likely headed.
It could easily be made lite enough for the new aluminum F-150 to easily pack around, too, which would be a savings over the superduty needed for heavier truck campers.
Obviously all of the above is just opinion, and I know it, so keep a reasonable perspective on the responses.... :-)

Moved by Freebird to new topic to avoid a thread hijack.

Edited by Freebird, 03 August 2015 - 04:27 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:03 PM

Sounds like a business opportunity to me.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

I agree to!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 Stitch

Stitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPeyton, Colorado

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:01 AM

Ah yes, the Holy Grail of TCs. While a most worthy goal, the idea of an inexpensive composite TC rests solely on the volume of production... and that, I'm afraid is the limiting factor.

In many complex 3D applications, composites will save weight... particularly carbon fiber vacuum molded parts. Most campers, however, are pretty much linear in design, which makes aluminum and wood an equally light and more cost effective solution.

Don't get me wrong, Freebird, I'm all in for a thermally tight TC that doesn't get consumed by dry rot or termites, but one of the big cost challenges for mass production of composites are the creation and maintenance of the molds... and, most importantly, the amortization of those molds... believe me, they ain't cheap. This is why (IMHO) XPCampers and Hallmark tend to the pricier side. They have to amortize the costs of the molds and the materials. Sweet campers, yes, but they cost a lot to make.

All that said, if a manufacturer was to create a very basic, linear TC design, you might be able to keep the mold cost down and be able to produce reasonably priced TC, but I'm afraid the weight savings your trying to achieve would still be minimal.
2004 Hallmark Guanella on a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

#5 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

Your right. Lite weight has already been achieved, and quite easily with a plain old wood skeleton. Has been for years.
What would be achieved with fiberglass bonded foam would be predictable longevity combined with VERY low maintenance.
Wood framed campers can be long lived with various material exterior sidings, but to assure long term integrity requires inspections and re-sealing on a regular (not necessarily frequent) basis. Commonly there are few to no early indicators of a leaking problem, so it can be serious+ when detected. This is especially true in damp or high humidity climates when stored outside. Also, an aside, but relevant point being the majority of Americans are very busy, and not stellar at taking time (or $) for preventive maintenance...
Note too that traditional screwed/nailed wood skeleton constructed campers are not particularly resistant to off road rough and tough forces unless glued/bonded together VERY well (including skeleton to skin plus to structural foam) during the building process making pretty much a "unibody" camper base. There are construction techniques that can make a wood framed bonded camper real tough and unlikely to die of wood rot, but the cost would be up in the foam/fiberglass vicinity, and people with past bad experiences with wood rot wouldn't look past the wood frame construction.
I'm not claiming to be a expert on camper construction, just summarizing observations from what I have seen and heard, both in life, and on the 'net.
An example, Northern Lite is currently building quality foam fiberglass bonded whole hard side campers from molds with top quality interior wood cabinets without a large premium over comparable campers with high quality interiors. Bigfoot built them too, until losing some of their management in a plane crash, then being hit by the recession. Note that B.C, where both are/were located is not an area of low labor cost, low tax rates, nor close to the petrochemical/resin center of the universe called Houston.
School me if more information is needed for me to see the whole picture. I know there are a lot of people smarter than me with different life experiences on this forum, so I'm listening....

Edited by Freebird, 05 August 2015 - 04:47 PM.

#6 Stitch

Stitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:51 AM

I think that you're tracking, Freebird. I personally like the idea of a whole composite camper from the thermal efficiency standpoint. My point of reference with composites revolves around aircraft, where you're constantly trading between weight and strength. You want the airframe strong enough for its intended purpose, but as light as you can possibly get away with. For the high end stuff you're talking about refrigerated pre-preg honeycomb sheets laid in a mold, put under a vacuum and baked in a very large oven for a period of time. There's a great deal of capital investment required for that process vice a jig board that you pop aluminum extrusions into and TIG it all together. However, you can build a fine small aircraft simply using hotwired foam and a hand layup of S-glass cloth. Same basic approach could work for a camper shell.

Perhaps my previous comments were too bounded by an aircraft designer's eye for utter efficiency. There are certainly techniques to construct composite structures that would be less costly for building a camper shell... you'll just have to accept a higher finished weight as the tradeoff. Obviously NL is making it happen. Maybe someone else will take on the challenge for a pop-up.

Congrats on your new NL, BTW.

#7 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, stitch.

Aircraft designs have huge tech challenges and trade offs not faced by camper design. I have been following the use of "plastic fantastic" aircraft development and experimental/home built aircraft for quite a while. Very interesting stuff!
My recent visit to Northern Lite factory was interesting, but no surprises. They use techniques the fiberglass boat industry has been using for decades. I do think they are overall doing an admirable job. Good enough that I bought one of their used campers recently.
I'm just mentally ruminating here about the benefits of the transfer of bonded foam fiberglass techniques to a pop top camper base (tub?)
Maybe inspire someone to take up the challenge? It would be great if one of the financially stronger pop top companies would transition to offering a model, but I think the location of manufacturing (as mentioned in OP) could be a factor in success. Setting up the process of manufacturing such a product wood be financially intensive, so the location "tailwind" would be helpful.

Btw, I see a value to using "pop up" to describe Alaskan and XP campers where the roof and sides raise together, and "pop top" to describe the campers where just the roof raises....
That gives a more specific visual image, but I think that horse is well out of the barn. Lol

Edited by Freebird, 06 August 2015 - 02:00 PM.

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

I've seen a couple home builds where a foam panel is cut and edge-bonded to other cut foam panels, and the whole is overlaid with resin & fiber. I believe that's Pods' approach and there was such a camper built by a fellow up somewhere in OR whom I have not seen post in ages.

I'm not likely to go into camper production, but a clamshell pop-up camper (aka "Alaskan" type) built by this method is very appealing. Biggest issue that I see with such a design is building the anchoring points. Such a construction type doesn't deal with point loads very well, so some engineering needs to happen in those areas.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 Stitch

Stitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:18 AM

Aye, that's the devil in the details. Composite construction requires hardpoints to provide crush/shear strength necessary to bolt bits onto the shell... jack brackets, roof rack runners, door hinges, door lock mechanisms, lift struts/linear actuators, etc. Easier to design with a wood or aluminum frame since the crush strength is already built in. Certainly doable for composites, but it does require a bit more thought in the design.

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:36 AM

... and there was such a camper built by a fellow up somewhere in OR whom I have not seen post in ages.

Maybe you're referring to Home Skillet's carbon fiber composite build?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users