33 replies to this topic

#21 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:17 AM

Thanks Denver - great thread. Many ideas for my 1974 CO.

Noteven: Glad you found some ideas in my 2015 thread. This 2016 thread describes further improvements to my 1966 8' NCO Alaskan:

http://www.wanderthe...to-1966-8’-nco/

Enjoy!

#22 noteven

noteven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlberta summer & western USA winter.

Posted 25 October 2018 - 12:55 AM

Hi Denver Alaskan - do you remember where you found the LED ceiling lights?

Are they switched at the fixture?

Thanks
1974 Alaskan 10’ CO

#23 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 03:34 AM

Hi Denver Alaskan - do you remember where you found the LED ceiling lights?  Are they switched at the fixture?  Thanks.

Noteven:

I purchased the 6-3/4" diameter LED ceiling light from Vintage Trailer Supply:

https://www.vintaget...t-p/vts-812.htm

It has an ON-OFF switch on the fixture, which is really convenient.  When turned on, amp draw is a minimal 0.21 amps.  A nearly identical LED light is slightly smaller at 5-1/2" diameter:

https://www.vintaget...t-p/vts-645.htm

These are really nice LED ceiling lights.

#24 noteven

noteven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlberta summer & western USA winter.

Posted 28 October 2018 - 05:50 PM

Thank you Denver

At 6’ almost 2 I clonk my noggin constantly on the vintage 12v 110v fixtures 😬😀

I just roared out and measured- the 6-3/4” is a perfect replacement to cover the non patina area left by the original fixture! Yay

Edited by noteven, 28 October 2018 - 05:53 PM.

1974 Alaskan 10’ CO

#25 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

Blue Sky Sun Charger 30 PWM controller

I determined the Blue Sky Energy Sun Charger 30 Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) solar charge controller would be adequate for my limited purposes.  A slightly more efficient 30 ampere Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) controller was available for $99 more, but I could get far more additional charging amperage by adding a third SF-100 watt solar panel for $155 plus shipping than I could tweak out of the two existing SF-100 watt solar panels with the slightly better MPPT controller. So I bought the more basic PWM controller from AM Solar and added a temperature compensation sensor for $30. So far I haven’t needed the third solar panel.  

The Sun Charger 30 is mounted inside the Alaskan below the catalytic heater on a wood panel that covers the large hole where the old propane furnace was installed. The controller is mounted below the catalytic heater because the heater must be installed a minimum of 4” above the floor, which left no room above it for the controller. The controller, by contrast, could be mounted anywhere.  I screwed the controller to the panel then wired it before screwing the panel onto the lower right rear of the Alaskan interior. The heater sticks out further from the panel and thus protect the controller. The controller is easily readable when standing outside the Alaskan with the door open, which occurs whenever one enters or exits the Alaskan. If necessary, it can also be read indoors by getting down on one’s knees.  For more details on and specifications for the controller, please visit AM Solar’s web site

Hey Denver where did you mount the wave 3 heater I am in conflict about where the safest spot could be on my 1976 cabover

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#26 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:40 PM

Hey Denver where did you mount the wave 3 heater? I am in conflict about where the safest spot could be on my 1976 cabover

wagoneer:

I mounted the Wave 3 catalytic heater in the same place the original Hydra-Flame furnace was located in my 8' NCO, on the lower right hand wall just inside the rear door. Go to the very first post in this thread and click on the two photos there to enlarge each. The left photo shows the original Hydra-Flame furnace on the right, just inside the rear door which is opened. The right photo shows the Wave 3 mounted on a removable stained panel that covers the large hole which remained after the Hydra-Flame furnace was taken out. 

The rear views of my Alaskan shows the Hydra-Flame chimney vent to the right of the rear door. I removed the metal chimney inside but left the exterior vent in place as the opening to run the solar panel wires through from the roof to the controller. The old furnace vent also allows fresh air to come inside the Alaskan for combustion. I always crack my roof vent whenever I light up the Wave 3.  

This heater location is nice because, being low, it creates a wall of warm air running up along the rear doors, where cold air might enter. It also warms the coldest air on the floor, and is far enough away from the opposite wall so as not to scorch it .I mounted a towel rack on the upper rear door above the window to dry wet towels, socks, and clothes in the warm convection air produced by the Wave 3. The towel rack is also used as a handle to pull to top rear door closed.

I never hang any long clothes on the closet door knobs directly above the Wave 3 when it is lit, to prevent them from unexpectedly dropping down right in front of the glowingly hot catalytic pad and possibly catching on fire. For drying clothes, I thought about stretching a fabric net hammock across the narrow isle from the closet to the stove, but imagined it would usually be in the way and a pain to get around when exiting or entering, so never did it.

If the Alaskan factory installed the furnace on the left hand wall for your year of production, then just mount a Wave 3 on a sturdy panel in that location. A close-to-the-floor furnace or heater is a safe location because it generally is out of the way of combustibles. Moreover, its low location helps circulate the warm air throughout the Alaskan through convection.        

#27 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:31 AM

This is exactly what I'm wanting to do to my 67 NCO. Thanks for explaining this and especially for the pictures. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#28 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:06 PM

Well done and when my Alaskan needs a refurb I'll be sure to remember how you went about it.  Thanks for posting.

2018 10' Alaskan Cabover/2017 Ford  F350 Dually Diesel

#29 karsonb

karsonb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:50 AM

Thank you for the detailed postings of your upgrades! I hope to pick up 1970 NCO, 8’ very similar to yours. Will probably do some,thing along the lines of what you have done. Very nice work!

#30 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:51 PM

JoeKan, popRoid and karsonb:

You are all welcome!  Glad to share and explain my improvements. They serve me well and hopefully may serve others well as well.

Right now my body and paint guy is making minor repairs to, then will blast and paint, a vintage 8' long, 7' wide utility bed, brand unknown. It has low sides (19-1/2" high interior walls), the same height as from the bottom to the side wings on my 1966 8' NCO Alaskan. This low height allows the Alaskan to snuggle right into the utility box. I'll gain secure one-foot-deep outside storage along both lower sides of the Alaskan.

My 4" diameter taillights and backup lights will be new LED models for brighter signals and lighting to the rear. I'll replace the small propane bottles with two 20-pound common propane bottles that can be swapped out for full ones at most any grocery store. Once the refreshed utility box is ready, I'll begin to document its improvements and installation on my 1992 Dodge W250 truck. Hope to get this done over the next few months, so don't touch that dial: stay tuned. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users