72 replies to this topic

#11 turn_one

turn_one

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:31 AM

This weekend I found that with our Grandby in what I think is the identical truck we got 16ish below 70 14ish above 70mph. I think it's mostly the weight and very little to do with the aero.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Seems to be the school of thought here but I'm not completely sold on it being only a weight thing.  Our diesels shouldn't be as affected by weight as gas motors.

I've taken numerous (pre camper) 1-2 week moto trips with 1 buddy, gear, gas and bikes, etc which could be comparable in weight to my Hawk shell and noticed 1-2 mpgs less than being unloaded.  Not the 4 mpgs I just got.

Either way, I agree the biggest factor is engine rpm and speed.

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

Wind resistance squares with speed, so 2 times faster is 4 times more resistance.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

Even a car gets worse mileage @70. The higher the rpm the more fuel gets sucked in

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

#14 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

Any large RV be it slide in camper or travel trailer motorhome etc is going to suck fuel.  it is the price we pay to play..

#15 turn_one

turn_one

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:33 PM

To keep this on track...

My original post was a question about the effectiveness of a wind fairing and how much aerodynamics plays a role on fuel economy with truck campers...at least that was my intent.

I realize that speeds plays a role in fuel economy, this is the case with any vehicle.  I also know we have to 'pay to play'...but...

I made the trip down to Portland to pick up the camper and got 19 mpgs.  On the way back I averaged 15 mpg.  Same roads, same driving habits, sea level to sea level.  

I think the 4 mpg difference is more aero related than weight (as I'm in a diesel) and if I understand ntsqd, this speaks to his point as I've greatly increased the wind resistance of the truck with the flat leading edges of a camper:

Wind resistance squares with speed, so 2 times faster is 4 times more resistance

Edited by turn_one, 04 January 2016 - 08:40 PM.

#16 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

ntsqd was speaking to the speed vs wind resistance drag...not just to the "flat leading edges'...on any vehicle dependent on the coefficient of drag/friction for that vehicle the frictional drag of pushing through the air is going to increase much more rapidly than the speed increase..double your speed and get four times more frictional drag as ntsqd pointed out.

In short form, with or without the camper, slow down to lessen air drag and save fuel...

The wind deflector that many of us use to "streamline' the air flow over the squared front surface of the camper reduces the coefficient of friction and theoretically reduces the air drag.  How significant is it?  Tough to accurately quantify but several forum folks have reported measurable improvements in mpg after installing wind deflectors.

You [Turn-One] reported losing 4mpg in a diesel [with superior torque] this seems a bit much, but your speed was not mentioned...and most of us never truly get an accurate mpg determination until after running numerous tanks of fuel through the vehicle...way too many subtle but significant variables to have a sample size of "1" and call it accurate.  Many runs are required to smooth out the variables and really find out the amount of any mpg fluctuations.

Just my take..and in any event...like was posted, add weight/wind resistance and expect to pay for it at the pump.  it is all good.

Phil

#17 cerve137

cerve137

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

My cheapo solution to this: Look on your craigslist for Yakima Q towers and a wind deflector. Best time to buy is now during the winter. The old style is not only available wider but was also considerably taller. Really you only need 2 towers, 1 crossbar and a fairing.

#18 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:31 PM

Drag hurts, my wing might save one MPG but sure cuts the noise. Now who is going to be the first to address the flat back of our campers?

trailertail-aerodynamic-trailer-tails.jp

aerodynamics_eng_fig23.jpg

#19 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:45 PM

My cheapo solution to this: Look on your craigslist for Yakima Q towers and a wind deflector. Best time to buy is now during the winter. The old style is not only available wider but was also considerably taller. Really you only need 2 towers, 1 crossbar and a fairing.

That's what I use on my Tacoma, it does help the noise but I haven't noticed much difference in mileage.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#20 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

Yup...I already have installed the QTowers, 80" bar and 50" wind deflector.  I purchased the second set of towers and another bar just in case I can fit a basket under Hawk cab overhang between the bars to stow even a few pieces that I don't need to get into often.  Space will definitely be at a premium even in my Tundra Access Cab.

Yakima gear is not cheap but it is a good fit and quality build.  Bill H. has a larger deflector that I might copy if my Yakima deflector proves to be inadequate.  Limits crap impacting front of camper, hopefully lessens wind drag and reduces wind noise.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users