• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:54 AM

As mentioned above... wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and safer to simply slow down a bit.

The reason I bought a FWC is so I didn't have to rush to my destination.

#32 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:54 AM

Bottom line, and I agree, is slowing down makes one hell of a lot more sense that chasing the aero of the package...at least with our trucks and campers...now space craft.....gaining or losing 10-15% mpg prorated over the total miles that I will be driving at highway speeds does not make sense for me since I hope most of my miles will be off-road where "aero be-damned".

Phil

Ps...Cd of C6 Corvette = .28

Edited by Wallowa, 09 January 2016 - 01:59 AM.

#33 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:05 AM

I've found slowing down to 55MPH with the Hawk gets me about the same fuel economy as going 70/75MPH without the Hawk.

When we were tent camping we always had to rush to get to our camping destination, so we would have a place to sleep that night.  Now we simply slow down to about 60MPH and sleep wherever we feel like.  We've discovered a few new camping spots (and Walmarts) by doing this as well.  It's a much more relaxing adventure.

All the power to you and your aerodynamic solutions. Best of luck finding something that works for you and is worthwhile.

#34 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:08 AM

As mentioned above... wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and safer to simply slow down a bit.

The reason I bought a FWC is so I didn't have to rush to my destination.

Aw, your no fun!  As a retired engineer, I need a problem to occupy my mind  :P (can't help myself)

I am going to do some experimenting next summer; mostly just because it is fun  :D  And I have another motive: having an older camper, I get some moisture being forced in the front when driving in heavy rain, getting my front lift panels wet :(   So I want a deflector to protect the roof/overhang seam.  I know from bug splatter that the air is hitting the flat front sections and that isn't helping my gas mileage.

I've also looked at the 'trailer tails' on the rear of semi trailers; really want to observe them during a snow storm.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#35 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:34 AM

Ive always wondered if these would help at all

Www.airtab.com

Vortex generators work on airplanes and raptor's wings, so I don't know why they shouldn't work on a camper's trailing edge. I would be tempted to try them, why not?

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

#36 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:50 AM

Just a WAG...but addressing the turbulent air behind a camper on a truck lumbering down the road or worse yet off-road will have quantum levels less of any decrease in the energy it takes to move down the road than an airplane or bird that rely on very low frictional drag to stay aloft...it is a matter of degrees and yes decreasing the turbulence behind a camper will decrease the energy it takes to move it through the air...but compared to the benefits of streamlining [decreasing turbulence] a plane the camper is a lost cause...kinda pissin' into the wind.... :ph34r:

Or as my buddy likes to say: "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig".. :D Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 09 January 2016 - 06:51 AM.

#37 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

Decreasing the size and/or the magnitude of the vacuum bubble behind the camper should have one benefit that may not be obvious until pointed out, less dirt road dust sucked up against the back wall of the camper where it can potentially leak into the camper.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#38 Vector1

Vector1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:52 PM

Wind resistance squares with speed, so 2 times faster is 4 times more resistance.

I'm with ntsqd on this. Slowing down can make a big difference, depending on the road, wind direction, and total time. Under ideal conditions, speeding up will gain you a small amount of time at best, but will suck more gas and can increase your chances of, well--you read about it in the papers, especially in the winter. The proportionality with the square of the difference in speed also applies to wear and tear as well as to collisions. I'm on a bit of crusade with this, I'll admit.

#39 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:29 PM

I get way better mileage at 55 than at 65-70, plus I feel like I see more of the countryside. I usually try to plan my routes away from interstates, but even 2 lane roads have 65+mph speed limits in many states these days.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#40 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

Took a quick look at the airtab www site.  Seems like most of the benefit would be to stability, rather than mpg.  Not to mention they look cool.  I wonder if stability is another plus for a fairing, in addition to lower noise levels?  

As an aside, when I was lurking last year, I recall seeing a post where the fairing served double duty as a solar panel.  Makes sense to me to gather power too, not just use less.  Does anyone recall seeing that post too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users