• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:00 PM

Is there any FWC Eagle owners with a new Colorado that might have a photo of the camper on? Would like to see the method you used to raise the camper (the bed rails being so high). The Tacoma has a 16" deep bed. The Colorado has a 21" deep bed. The Eagle is 17.5". FWC said they have to raise the existing design nearly 4" to accommodate the rail height.

I would love to see some photos: side, back, cabover and if you made your own system in the truck bed. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:44 PM

Here are a few pictures of a camper built for the Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon.

This camper was on the delivery trailer headed out to a dealer when I snapped the pics.

We add to the camper base and also notch out in the rear for the rounded lower tail gate corners in those truck beds.

Hope this helps.

Stan

Attached Files

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:47 PM

I have a plan I think for raising the camper adding 3.875" (allowing for some slide in storage?) but was wondering how close the cabover situation is. I have currently a large space there with the Taco..... installed a storage box and a wind foil. This will probably have to be removed.  I am also trying to figure out the radio antennae removal and putting in a new cable to a hood mount..magnet antennae.

Henry David Thoreau

#4 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

I put the camper on the Colorado today. This topic overlaps the one on the TRUCK string on the Colorado 2016 diesel. I had a 2001 Tacoma 4 cylinder that struggled up the hills. I wish Toyota had done a diesel (like their Helux) ... I test drove both 2016's and chose the Colorado> I am very happy so far....just back from a nice hill town test-drive. The diesel is quite incredible... I don't even feel the camper there unless going over rough road (I get a slight bounce.... air lifters will be put on this summer)    Now..... for all the other folks who are considering buying a Colorado or Canyon diesel,  I include all the things I felt needed to be done to make it fit properly and some ideas. The camper as stated above by Stan needed to be raised as the side bed rails are high (the only thing I don't like about the truck). I put in a bed mat (3/8" that basically compresses to 1/4" with camper on it) I Made 5 cross supports that are shown in the photos: I used 2, 39" 2x4's and a piece of 1/2" ply that was 5 1/2" wide. That way the 2x4's could be attached together and then the ply on top allowing the 1" edge to be used to attach it all to the camper. (I used bronze cabinetry screws). The 5th support closest to the tailgate is 44" long... short enough to avoid problems with the curved side rail supports. This last support is 67" from the back wall so that it is flush with the end. The raising of the camper offered an easy install of 2" (you could use 3") rigid insulation. I added 3700 lb 3" quick links to the tie downs.

At the last minute I was nervous about how much the compression was going to be so I added a temporary 3/8" ply for this trial period. ( could have gotten away without it at this point it is a 1/2" over the rails....an 1/8" looks better).  This also added another opportunity: There is now an 8 space above the rear bumper below the camper overhang. I welded 2: 1/4" steel brackets that fits over the 2x4 cross supports and comes out 8 " . I can now mount the High Lift Jack there out of the way and bolted with aircraft bolts and a padlock. Fits perfectly across (the photo was taken before the bracket was installed). As with the Tacoma the Eagle left a large space over the cab. I used that space to add a storage box as well as a 4" aluminum wind foil. The Colorado is just an inch higher so it worked out well. I will relocate the whip antennae to the front. (don't really use the satellite radio but that is an easy fix with an extension). One big thing that had to be dealt with was the reluctance on the dealers part to put on the tires we had negotiated would be swapped out.... the passenger tires needed to be credited to a new set of Cooper 245 75 17 AT3 tires. GM was't sure all the electronic gizmos would work but after a test period all was fine ( the speedo has to be tweaked 2 mph +- as the RPM's are different) That said I also found the spare was not worth a dime. I bought another same tire as above and bough an stock aluminum 17" rim ... it fit underneath no problem. (A temporary spare tire is nuts). I will say GM was helpful and even gave me a $500 coupon to buy GM parts as a way of thanking me for my patience (!) ...I immediately ordered another stock GM backup camera, another chipped key, two of each air, oil, fuel filters. The tailgate comes off and the camera is in the handle. There is a handy clip plug behind the license plate. I am in the process of mounting the extra one I bought on a simple bracket. It is a nice thing to have with the camper on. ( You can order that part ($107) and it comes with the wire and GM clip plug...bingo). That's about it so far. This truck has a lot of low end torque. Gets 30 mpg highway so I am hoping for 24+ with camper... diesel is even cheaper than gas here where we live!      

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9547.jpg
  • IMG_9546.jpg
  • IMG_9552.jpg
  • IMG_9477.jpg
  • IMG_9549.jpg
  • IMG_9475.jpg

Edited by buckland, 05 June 2016 - 09:55 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#5 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:33 PM

Wanted to add this side view

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9545.jpg

Henry David Thoreau

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

Looks pretty doggone nice!

I am haunted by waters

#7 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for sharing.

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:46 PM

Looks good!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:38 PM

Installed the free GM backup camera. It is simply mounted on 2 brass 2" L brackets...then a front plastic cover to make it less appealing to being noticed by the unscrupulous. Easy angle adjustment by bending. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9554.JPG

Henry David Thoreau

#10 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

What the heck... thought I'd add to the string a bit more as who knows.... there may be another Colorado person about to do the same.

I added Air Lifts today. I had Ride Rites (firestone) on the Tacoma...they were great but not yet available for the 2016 Colorado so I went with the Air Lifts. I will say the install was easier and the product seemed robust. No leaks and off we go... I took the direction's advice and installed the air line valves through the license plate... looks great and easy to get to . I put the camper back on and removed the extra 3/8" ply I put on the supports for safety sake... the camper now sits 3/16" off the rails...good as a mile... so all that was needed was 2  2x4's and a piece of 1/2" ply... lots of deck paint. The last thing I want to do before heading out for a few day getaway in the Adirondacks is .......(any ideas on where to get this?) ...... as I had to remove the screw in antenna mast off the cab.. I am looking for a 3 foot coax cable to screw into where I removed the mast and simply mount the mast on an 'L' bracket off the side of the camper. Any advice appreciated... I have looked all over tarnation.

Edited by buckland, 12 June 2016 - 07:24 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users