• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Esus

Esus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

Hey John,

I had FWC install the plates on my truck because I was driving all the way to TX to pick my Fleet up and I didn't want to have to worry about it. Of course, as it turns out, the turn buckles didn't fit the rear two bolts onayways and I had to drive to a Home Depot and extend with a bit of heavy duty chain anyways. 

Looking at mine, they are not perfectly horizontal but rather flush to the angled part of the bed liner. I took some pictures. 

Pic 1 - Front left
2ah8x10.jpg

Pic 2 - Rear Left
2uhtxj9.jpg

Pic 3 - Angle of rear left
23uzvaf.jpg

Pic 4 - Angle of front left
v7f71t.jpg

Pic 5 - Bed layout
20glgcm.jpg

Also, when I built my platform, nearly identical to Buckland's, I did 2 2x4s with either 1/2 inch or 5/8 ply. I did 4 cross sections of the 2 2x4s. The last one ends near the end of the truck bed and the camper does stick out past that. It's rock solid. I sued the jacks to lower the camper just barley onto the platform so I could permanently mount it to the camper. I can take a pic if you like when I return home. 

Hope that helps if you haven't already started drilling.

-E

Edited by Esus, 10 May 2017 - 09:44 PM.

2015 Chevy Colorado, 2015 FWC Fleet

#42 DavidO

DavidO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:30 AM

Esus I've had FWC install eye-bolts on two different trucks and I've seen the eye-bolts on several others. always the eye-bolts have faced each other in an x fashion. I'm not sure that yours are installed correctly.

Here is a photo of mine.

eyebolts.jpg

edit; I just reread your post that FWC also installed your eye-bolt. I wonder did they change the way it is done or is done differently for a Fleet or what??????????? See the vidio posted by FWC on You tube

Edited by DavidO, 11 May 2017 - 01:50 AM.

#43 Esus

Esus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

Esus I've had FWC install eye-bolts on two different trucks and I've seen the eye-bolts on several others. always the eye-bolts have faced each other in an x fashion. I'm not sure that yours are installed correctly.

I can't really see how the direction the eyebolts face will ultimately make that much of a difference as long as there is sufficient tension in the turn buckles. Because of my platform to ensure the camper clears the bed rails, and the placement of the tie down brackets above the wheel well level in the fleet, the angle of departure from the eyebolt to the tie down bracket is such that the orientation of the eyebolt seems a non issue. Now, if the force was not angled upwards but rather directly horizontal, I would think enough load could force the eyebolt to turn in which case you'd have a slightly loosened system until one re-tightened the turnbuckles.. Interesting that we both had FWC install and we got slightly different setups. 

2015 Chevy Colorado, 2015 FWC Fleet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users