#111 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:29 AM

@Todgru. Many thanks for your response and experience. I think I'll do the same as you, and use the existing handle holes to bolt all the way through to the inside with as large a backing washer as will fit the space. 

@Nikonron. I really like your swing out bumper and was really close to going that route, but backed off because of the weight and changes I'd have to make to my suspension. Thanks for confirming that these steps are bolted through to the inside. Do they go through a frame member?

I can access the upper right step by cutting an access hole in the propane tank followed by a patch. The lower right step, however, appears to land between the interior cabinets and propane tank box. Taking out the cabinets would be a pretty major deal. But, I'd really like to remove the step. 

I can always design the bracket to clear the steps, but would prefer a cleaner install that gets the box and Rotopax as close to the frame as possible. I can also add a piece to the bracket that would allow it to also be attached underneath the camper wing below the propane box like many others have done. Is that necessary?

I'm assuming I'm not the only guy who'd like to remove a step to install a fuel can bracket.

Does anyone have any experience with removing that particular step (upper right) on a recent Fleet? 

Also, readers, let me know if I should move my issues to a separate thread. I was planning to write this up once installed in about 6 weeks.

Edited by Redfish, 13 February 2018 - 01:26 AM.

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#112 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

I would say that the bolts probably go through a plate.  Ron

#113 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:25 AM

That makes sense. Thanks, Ron.

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#114 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:29 PM

We only use one of the two propane cannisters, and put a 2 gal grey water bucket where the other one was. But I was thinking of putting fuel in there. Any thoughts on putting fuel in the propane compartment? Strap it in like the propane cannister.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#115 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:42 PM

We only use one of the two propane cannisters, and put a 2 gal grey water bucket where the other one was. But I was thinking of putting fuel in there. Any thoughts on putting fuel in the propane compartment? Strap it in like the propane cannister.

Both have the chance of nasty unexpected combustion but I assume that gasoline is more dangerous in a collision. Think Pinto.  Plus if a gasoline container leaks in that compartment can fumes enter the inside of the camper?  Jerry can or propane bottle; seems bottle is more resistant to loss of contents...but hey, I could be wrong.  

Edited by Wallowa, 28 October 2020 - 09:42 PM.

#116 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:07 AM

On our front dinette 2014 Hawk, there is a vent on the bottom of the propane compartment that vents any gases to the outside. It is covered by a metal grill that can be felt under the wing. Any liquid would also flow out the same vent into the bed of the pickup. Still not a good thing but does not dump into the camper interior.  Propane gas is heavier than air. Don't think the same is true for gasoline fumes.

I'm with Phil re: the Pinto.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#117 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:05 PM

The reason that modern homes with the water heater in the garage have the water heater on an elevated pedestal is gasoline vapors. The idea is to keep the water heater's ignition above and away from any gasoline vapors that might be swirling around on the floor.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#118 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:38 PM

Very generalized:

•  air has a molecular weight of 29.

•  gasoline has a molecular weight of about 85.

•  molecular weight of propane is about 44.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#119 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:30 PM

There’s probably no good place to put fuel except in the original fuel tank. Well, I was just thinking about a trip where we might be far between gas stations.....

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#120 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 30 October 2020 - 02:39 AM

The reason that modern homes with the water heater in the garage have the water heater on an elevated pedestal is gasoline vapors. The idea is to keep the water heater's ignition above and away from any gasoline vapors that might be swirling around on the floor.

True...but there is electrical in the bed of the truck...and of course other ignition sources...like the heater or any other electrical connection...nothing I would wish to bet my life on..

Many homes with hot water heaters in the garages have gone boom...fumes do not just hug the floor.

Propane tanks are safe but of course the lines and fittings can leak also...gasoline once released is plain scary to me..but hey, I could be wrong! B)

Phil

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users