121 replies to this topic

#101 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

an acquaintance mounted his rotopax here. I like the use of that space.

hfwtxwDxVr9YxZI2T95YvKzEP8bRtGgCh916l3jl

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#102 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:35 PM

I like that too... is that a through bolt or did they get lucky with hitting the framing?

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#103 doc

doc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:05 PM

an acquaintance mounted his rotopax here. I like the use of that space.

hfwtxwDxVr9YxZI2T95YvKzEP8bRtGgCh916l3jl

This is a great use of space.

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4, Double Cab, Long Bed
2016 FWC Grandby

#104 doc

doc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

I've been brainstorming and reviewing others approach to mounting a shovel.  I came up with this, which was easy to do. 

I'm probably overly conservative, but in bad winds would it be enough to snap the top of the shovel off?  I'm uncomfortable with the potential to litter a piece of metal onto a roadway that could cause an accident for someone else.  That said, seems some have managed with bungies or other strap devices and been ok...

edit: I have no idea why the photos are rotated 90 degrees... nor how to fix it.  :-\

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1791.JPG
  • IMG_1792.JPG

Edited by doc, 07 February 2018 - 11:12 PM.

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4, Double Cab, Long Bed
2016 FWC Grandby

#105 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:45 AM

I like that a lot Doc!  Thanks for another solution and project!

#106 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

I've been brainstorming and reviewing others approach to mounting a shovel.  I came up with this, which was easy to do. 

I'm probably overly conservative, but in bad winds would it be enough to snap the top of the shovel off?  I'm uncomfortable with the potential to litter a piece of metal onto a roadway that could cause an accident for someone else.  That said, seems some have managed with bungies or other strap devices and been ok...

edit: I have no idea why the photos are rotated 90 degrees... nor how to fix it.  :-\

If you're worried about the wing nuts working loose there's an old desert racer's trick that will stop it. Drill a small hole at the tip of the ears of both wing nuts. Then get a coil spring that will *just* stretch enough to reach from hole to hole. The trick is to hook the spring in the hole of the ear that has to TIGHTEN in order from the spring to relax.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#107 JCatt

JCatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne IN

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:01 PM

Mine is similar to what others have done with the AT can. Attached to the jack bracket and also bolted through in the propane tank compartment. Kinda had to see the attachment on the bottom but there are 4 more bolts underneath. 

Attached Thumbnails

• ATgas2.jpg

Edited by JCatt, 08 February 2018 - 05:50 PM.

2014 FWC Hawk

#108 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:33 PM

Very timely post--I'm about to add a custom aluminum box and a 2-gallon Rotopax to the back of my 2016 Fleet and need to fabricate and install a bracket. See my attached photo.

The cross bracket (yellow box on photo) will span from the grab handle to the jack bracket. I'm planning to attach the bracket using some combination of existing mounting points - grab handle, steps, jack bracket mounting screws or jack mounting holes. The bracket will be made from either 3/16" or 1/4" inch aluminum plate.

The steps are in the way and will be removed and the mounting holes will be covered with a plate or incorporated into mounting the bracket. I can't see how they are mounted because of the propane box. The steps on the left side of the camper are attached using bolts with backing washers.

So, some questions:

1. Is the grab handle mounted with two screws (as opposed to being bolted) through a frame member? I assume so, but don't want to be surprised. 
  2. Is the lower step screwed through a frame member or bolted through the wall ? I'm guessing it's screwed through a frame member because of its location. 
  3. Is the right step bolted or screwed? I'm guessing it's bolted through the wall behind the propane box.Bracket Mounting Points.jpg
  4. Can I use the screws that attach the jack brackets to the camper or should I use the jack mounting holes instead?

Just FYI, the aluminum dry box will be mounted vertically next to the door using this cross bracket and will also sit on a lower bracket bolted through the floor of the camper. The Rotopax will be mounted on the cross bracket to the right of the box. The box (on order) will be 35"L x 13"W x 10.5"D and will weigh about 17 lbs dry and will be used to store about 10 lbs of light weight but bulky items like life jackets, Alpacka raft, etc. The Rotopax will be empty 95% of the time and used primarily to fill the water tank when I can't use a hose or when I need to filter water to add to tank.

Many thanks, in advance, for your help.

Edited by Redfish, 12 February 2018 - 05:32 PM.

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#109 todgru

todgru

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMaupin, OR

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

@redfish I installed my gas can mount very similar to what you are suggesting. But I did not remove the screws that hold the jack bracket. Instead, I simply used longer jack bolts.

Here is my write up http://www.wanderthe...erry-can-mount/

Todgru

#110 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:19 PM

Redfish, the bolts for the steps go all the way through to inside and have nuts on the back.  Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users