Photo
- - - - -

Outside window flap - anyone cut these off?!?!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 shear

shear

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:35 PM

So I have a 2005 Eagle and rolling up the flaps every day is a huge pain.  I was curious if there's any real purpose to them?  I know the newer models don't have them so I was curious what the difference is and if I'd be screwing myself by removing them?  

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

You can leave them rolled up when you lower the top. I did have to lower mine when I was in a hard rain.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:43 PM

Yep, same as Craig, leave them rolled up till you need them.  The top goes down nicely with them rolled.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:24 PM

The new version(s) have them lose and you attach them when you need them.  I've never put them on and I've been in some big wind/rain storms but we keep them stored in the camper "just in case".

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:53 PM

I use ours as a sun/rain awning.When it's raining and you want some air in the camper it's nice to be able to open the inside flaps

and with the outside ones in awning mode it keeps the rain out but lets the air in.Plus the sun shade is nice also.

I have been in rainy conditions where the wind was blowing the rain hard against the liner and the flaps down kept the rain from seeping through the stitching.

Yes keep them rolled up ,the top lowers and the lined isn't effected buy them.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:47 AM

I have put the ones on our Ocelot (they are the detachable type) in some heavy sideways rain as it was leaking through the stitching. I have since used Aqua Seal to seal all the seams. That was only a couple of times, so not used very much.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#7 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:27 AM

Well, not really cut them off...

When I ordered my ATC Bobcat shell in late 2010, I really, really, disliked the black velcro showing on the side of the soft top material when the flaps were rolled up. 

So, I asked Marty & Jeff if they could leave off outside rain flaps and the black velcro, and they said they could do that.

I was aware of the "special" bottom corners that FWC created to keep the rain out when the flaps were rolled up, and that ATC didn't do that process, however, I thought I'd take a chance on not getting rain into the camper with the outside flaps absent.

So, far I've gone through many trips where it rained, the top was up, and no water inside the camper.

A year or two later, I noticed that ATC was offering outside flaps that were removal-able, however, still had the black velcro.

DSC01208%20edited%20sized_zpsphwhf2ft.jp

Edited by Alley-Kat, 11 June 2017 - 05:18 AM.

#8 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:23 AM

Yes they're a bit of a pain. And rolling them up can be noisy and draw attention - rrrrip ! - which I dislike, but have left ours on to reduce possible water intrusion.

Full awning mod for ventilation is a good idea I haven't tried yet. For night I usually roll the rear flaps ~1/3rd of the way up and on an angle (for run off). Then I can still have controlled air flow inside with the overhead vents open and maintain the ability to look outside. The fronts I leave firmly down if at all concerned about rain because 1) I really don't want to chance any water in the bedding area and 2) because I hate getting up in the night to close them !

#9 Turbocity tom

Turbocity tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

I use simple PVC pipe frames to make them into shade awnings- easy set up, work well

20151018_122711_zpspzhyrxjd.jpg

20151018_122657_zpspsnft8nt.jpg

Thanks   Tom

When it come to Horsepower, Too much is just enough 1990 k1500 Chevy with CA legal 454/4l80E swap 1996 Hawk Customized

#10 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

^ Nice ! thanks Tom. What do you use as a foot foot the poles and how does it perch on the camper rim ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users