#11 Lobster

Lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara .

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:50 AM

I bought a drop hitch at harbor freight.
Had a piece of aluminum diamond plate laying around.
Went to a local bender to make it fit.
About $50 total, wieghs 17#.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3FAC38A0-8B25-4644-85A6-54D22BD2831F.jpeg
  • 80F716E2-67EA-427A-BBF5-BDB360F34790.jpeg

#12 Chrish

Chrish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:15 AM

Removable 4 step aluminum Scissor steps.weight=25lbs. Safest option.

#13 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:15 AM

In my first standard slide-in FWC Hawk (with the rear entry) the Brophy scissor steps worked wonderfully when i got inventive and installed them permanently. I too would hate having to dismount and reinstall them every time I wanted into the camper. Here they are deployed. If you look closely you'll see stainless steel eyebolts through bolted into the frame that held the complete assembly collapsed in travel with the cables that are on the ground. Worked like a charm. (Doesn't work on my side entry flatbed Grandby model so I modified a Little Giant all aluminum ladder that weighs 4 or 5#. Sorry, no photo.)

20150731_163032_1.jpg

Edited by Durango1, 22 October 2018 - 06:16 AM.

#14 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:09 PM

I'll be the contrarian again and show some love for a ladder; specifically a step ladder, if that is what the OP meant.

We've found it handy to have a step ladder around camp for things like hanging a clothesline, trimming branches or an impromptu table.  With our older FWC I use our step ladder for reaching the window storm flaps when the top is up (as we know, camper builds have changed some over the years). But for anyone with a truck and camper a step ladder can useful for cleaning, snow removal etc

We have a good spot to carry ours. But nothing saying it couldn't be carried in the cab (custom storage) or on the back of the camper (in bag if desired).

Again, odd man here, but I see the biggest downside to some of the receiver steps I've seen posted is reduced angle of departure. i just don't see how some of them wouldn't drag thru water bars or ditches with me. I suppose it depends where you travel. Plus the increased risk of backing into things  generally (logs, parked cars) would bother me.

If the owner is removing the receiver step for driving, seems to me the storage issue would remain.

Now, if I was in the OP's situation, with a long overhang past the bumper. I'd think about replacing the lowered tailgate with something that allowed for a wrap around plate that could swing down to be a mini platform/porch and be the last "step" into the camper. This would also reduce the height needed for a ladder. Might even be able to attach the folder ladder to the plate.

Or if the camper was supported by 2x4s or similar, there could be a space under the camper for a pull out ladder. I think someone on here did something like that with their flatbed. XP Camper has something like that also. Or see any moving truck.

Point is I'd look at the overhang as an opportunity to better address ingress, egress without the downsides of the usual solutions.

my .02

#15 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:13 AM

X2 on ladder...not much more to add other than can also use to climb into bed as well...

#16 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:54 AM

Brophy here too, like it a lot.

#17 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:09 AM

Brophy on my old Ranger...

20070609010.jpg

Little Giant Safety Step Stepladder Type 1A,  with the new truck/camper for more height.

20170612_175312-L.jpg

Both worked well but with the higher truck bed on the newer Tundra we wanted a taller ladder.

In both cases I remove the ladder and place it on the carpet on the floor of the camper just inside the door.

I've seen pictures of the Little Giant ladder hung on the back of the camper and several modified versions

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#18 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:47 AM

I built my own step out of sq tube. I had a short ladder buy I park many places that are not level. The receiver step is always in the same spot when I step out of the camper.   

Sorry, the best picture I could find on my blog. Click the pic and it will get BIG. I made the top step same height as the bumper cut out. 

IMG_2465.jpg

Edited by billharr, 23 October 2018 - 03:53 AM.

#19 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

X2 on the 3 step Little Giant. Bulky & heavier than ideal, but extremely stable with ample step surface. It will no doubt be used for bed assist some years ahead. Last in folded on floor, first out

Edited by Stokeme, 23 October 2018 - 03:40 PM.

#20 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:19 AM

https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

I will need a 10" extension to bring this out to the folded down tailgate, myGrandby is in a 6.6 bed tundra truck, I do not want anything touching the ground (call me OCD), plus I do not want to bring the ladder in and out all the time, last time we did this we damaged the inside of the camper, it was a real pain in the ass constantly bringing the ladder in and out 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users