• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:20 AM

X2 on the 3 step Little Giant. Bulky & heavier than ideal, but extremely stable with ample step surface. It will no doubt be used for bed assist some years ahead. Last in folded on floor, first out

I agree this is a very sturdy ladder, we own one, but it has it's drawbacks, especially when the ground is not level or wet, and always having to bring it out and put it back inside the camper gets old very fast (for us anyway)

#22 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

Another vote for the scissor steps.
Much easier to use when your hands are full when carrying things out or into your camper.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#23 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

The scissor steps are the way. They are wide (makes it easy to descend at night, and when alcohol unsteady's you.)  They only weigh 25 lbs. They are easy to place inside the door and deploy. You could also mount them outside, then just pull them open. The best is they are steady on uneven ground. Since they are attached to the camper you have an anchor point. Just place a block under a corner on uneven ground which is why we have 4wc, right?  Seems like hitch stairs may get in the way on rough ground. They aren't very wide so you have to be pretty good at night. portable ladders would be nice to have for other things but on uneven ground??? I have tried them all and scissor steps are the way. Just sayin!

#24 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:52 PM

I would argue for a compromise solution - the little giant ladder, cut in half and mounted to the camper like the scissor steps.   You get the rigidity of being attached to the camper, but the stability of the larger  and solid little giant steps.   We tried out the scissor steps first, and found them to be less stable and heavier than we liked (25lbs vs about 5lbs).  I did add adjustable legs to my little giant (repurposing parts from the 'safety handle') as we are often way off kilter. I am still not 100% pleased with attachment to the camper, so I will probably re spin that. but in general it works super well.    On our flatbed we store it in a drawer under the tray, but I think it would fit in the center isle of the slide in campers. 

http://www.wanderthe...r-mark-i-rev-b/

For us, the hitch mount steps wouldn't work, primarily because we are side entry, but also because of the loss of departure angle (if we had a slide in).  The hitch is already the lowest point in the back. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#25 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 25 October 2018 - 07:04 PM

Yeah, scissor steps were my 2nd choice. I get the uneven ground, so far only a few shims needed 4 ladder, but I am a relative newbie. I share similar (Klahanie) issues with a heavy, fixed rear extension. If I have to remove in transit, a Little Giant can also multitask. (My bride is perfecting her bed dismount). My goal is no “kit” on the Camper floor. When we start our B & B-H do America, I will revisit the lighter, folding, compact alternative. From a purely medicinal standpoint one can become more unsteady as the temp drops. Nice idea with the above post & the LG steps, if I only had a skill. I will attempt some form of adjustable leg.

Edited by Stokeme, 25 October 2018 - 09:20 PM.

#26 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:11 PM

The ladder steps look great. You should market them. Especially with the adjustable legs for uneven ground.

#27 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:11 PM

I use an Easy Hitch Step - and wrote about it here http://www.wanderthe...h-step-options/

It is a bit heavy, but not 70 lbs.  The grated surface has great traction and knocks off mud and other debris.  They are not inexpensive, tho.

That is actually my rig feature on the website homepage showing the 3 step option.

https://www.easyhitchstep.com/

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#28 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:04 PM

Brophy hands down for me... tried bunch... small aluminum ladder, hitch steps, and finally the scissor steps...LOVE them.. easy relatively light...last in ... first out. Enter/exit the camper with ease..... I throw a bit of old carpet on them and the dog loves it... climbs right in.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#29 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:22 PM

I ditto what Buckland says.  Brophy scissor 3-stepper is the setup I finally adopted after other previous attempts.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#30 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:36 AM

Brophy receiver two step for me.  Added plastic grass entry mat to the tread for the pup; collects a lot of dirt.  And added a hitch stabilizer that Spud linked to (replaced nuts with wing nuts for fast install/removal).  Last in, first out; rides on entry mat at door of camper.

Advantage: stable even when the ground under them is uneven.

Disadvantage:  the first step can be long (3 step would be better).

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users