36 replies to this topic

#21 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:52 PM

As a (former) Western North Carolinian with a brother in Kinston, I would expect that you must have your barbeque from East of Rocky Mount. :)

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#22 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:31 AM

As a (former) Western North Carolinian with a brother in Kinston, I would expect that you must have your barbeque from East of Rocky Mount. :)

Paul

Reckon we're cousins, Paul.  Lots of us east of the Fall Line are.

The Line, as it's locally and regionally known, is of ephemeral nature. East of I-95 is the heart of the production area for the Holy Grub--Eastern North Carolina barbeque. Clyde Cooper's, not more than 6 miles as the crow flies, and but 5 blocks further from Capitol Square itself, has served yours truly many a fine tray of finely chopped, whole hog, vinegar basted pork BBQ. Don Murray's and Barbeque Lodge were even closer to the ranch, but both now closed for years.  But yeah, that Lexington-Piedmont stuff is pretty far down my list----but still well above certain styles promoted from certain areas way downriver from these parts.

Foy

#23 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:26 PM

Down East BBQ tastes like drinking a bottle of apple cider vinegar...said the old boar with is nose curled up like a gilt.  In 3+ decades, I never acquired the taste for vinegar based BBQ,  Most be a taste acquired in the womb.

We'd zip down HWY 70 to Wilber's in Goldsboro.  Another joint claiming to be the 'best".  While I can't attest to the BBQ, I can say the Brunswick stew was without a doubt the best I've eaten anywhere.  It was so good, Wilber's didn't pay their taxes and NC DOR shut 'em down.

Screenshot-2019-04-07-08-14-24.png

Wilber's was a mandatory stop for presidential candidates politiking.

Having lived in Cary for 33 years, its good to be back along the SC coast in the land of shrimp and grits.  Cary was too far from the beautiful western NC mountain streams holding native Rainbows and Browns.  And too far from the beautiful inshore estuaries of the Outer Banks and Down East.

All the good SC BBQ joints have closed up in SC since my high school years in the 60s and 70s.  I guess the Bessingers who enjoyed cooking in the pits have all died off and their kin have little interest in continuing the tradition.   Bessinger's joints today are not the same as 40 years ago.

The best ever in SC BBQ (IMHO) was Robert's (a Bessinger's) who worked the pits and golfed with Arnold Palmer.  Sadly, both now passed.

Robert's is still open in North Charleston, but, not quite the same as the 70s.

Current issue of Southern Living has the "Best of the South" lists, including bars and BBQ joints.  I've made it to 8 bars and 7 BBQ joints over the decades.  While I liked BBQ joints on the list, the bars visits bring back immediate fond memories.

Edited by Advmoto18, 07 April 2019 - 12:31 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#24 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:48 PM

It goes down a little smoother than drinking the vinegar straight out of the bottle. I really thought I would dislike it but had to try. Something about mixing your finely chopped pork with finely chopped cabbage and then pouring more vinegar on it ......

OK, actually writing it down makes it sound terrible. Really, much better than it sounds. And crunchy.

I really dislike sugar based rubs and sauces and this style doesn't have any sweetness so it's good, or at least different, from that perspective.

#25 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:50 AM

Wow, almost like talking politics! Good thing we haven't brought up brisket :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#26 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:53 PM

Wow, almost like talking politics! Good thing we haven't brought up brisket :)

Correct, you are, kind sir.

#27 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

Never thought about BBQ and politics, but, sounds about spot on for those who take either or both far too serious.

Life is about living, enjoying and collecting friends.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#28 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

Went to Costco found they had the same big bag of ribs with rub. Cooked and still hot and uncooked with rub. I asked and was told i should not freeze cooked ribs. Seemed odd. How long can one freeze them from someone who has done so?

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#29 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:01 PM

I've frozen cooked ribs and seemed to have lived through the experience. I suppose that freshly prepared ribs would win out but hauling a 6' offset smoker to camp probably wouldn't be worth the hassle. I think the folks who like their ribs saucy would notice less of a difference. I've accidently kept sous vide steaks for over a year and, thawed out, they were still edible by both of my dogs and I. Not sure if that's a very high bar though so be your own judge.

#30 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

That's what I thought....your bar pretty much where mine is. And I thought cooked food freezes longer than uncooked. Thanks 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users