89 replies to this topic

#51 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:50 AM

Fall here, with all the tell tale signs...

Attached Thumbnails

• CA362C18-E644-41B3-AA20-6B97C90B577A.jpeg

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#52 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:52 AM

Best time of the year in this neck of the woods...

Attached Thumbnails

• B520C0E9-F60C-4D68-8942-741C2F2DBB1E.jpeg

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#53 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:14 AM

Lovely Mr. Sun! Your photos tell the story. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#54 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

Great shots. The smoke from the “nearby” fires really add some red and orange to our sunsets. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#55 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:29 AM

IMG_6132.JPG

#56 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:18 PM

I forgot about this thread,

Fall has finally come to East TN.

2 weeks ago it was still 95 in the afternoon

1 week ago I turned the heat pump from AC to Heat (my house was down to 63)

This morning it was 37, I need to remember a jacket in the AM.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#57 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:51 PM

Note: I moved the recent power outages and preparedness posts to this new thread -

Dealing With Weather Related Home Power Outages

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#58 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:42 PM

The arrival of tropical weather systems, one after another, is a sign of early Fall in the southeastern US.  What's left of Olga comes through in the morning, the 3rd or 4th such visit this year.  The arrival of mid-to-late Fall is signaled by the nonstop banging and clanging of hickory nuts (early) and acorns (later, and mostly from white oaks) hitting the roof, polycarbonate skylight , camper trailer, and car the and trucks in the driveway.  It's definitely a mast year in this part of NC, at least for the oaks.  The hickories were thankfully light.  And that's OK by me--those dang things will raise a knot on your noggin if they catch you just right.

Case in point on it being a mast year for the white oaks:  I spent a good hour today with my backpack leaf blower wrangling a nearly continuous carpet of acorns off of the moss matting beneath the four most productive white oaks in the front yard.  My system is to blow them downhill to the red brick pavers forming my front entryway sidewalk.  I can't stop hearing the theme song from "Rawhide" in my head as I "drive" the acorns. Once I shovel them up, I wouldn't be surprised to have a half-full 75 gallon trashcan of them. 

And next up are tons of oak, hickory, maple, gum, poplar, and beech leaves.  Lovely in rich colors on the trees, but when down on the ground killing the grass and shrubs, not so much.  We're not very fussy when it comes to landscaping, but what little grass and shrubs we have on an acre and a quarter, we want to keep, so off go the leaves out of the azalea and rose bush beds, off of the grass, and into the "natural areas" which comprise a good 2/3rds of our yard.

Oh, and the professional beaver trapper came today and set 3 traps in the creek behind the house, at the head of the pond.  The furry rascals are back in our drainage and very active, but not for long. Last time they established residence in the creek, they killed 6 or 8 trees, mostly worthless sweet gums and a couple of poplars, but including two dogwoods planted by my late father over 50 years ago (we bought our house from my parents nearly 30 years ago and have now lived here for longer than they did).  Sorry Mr. Beaver, if you mess with my Daddy's dogwoods, you've worn out your welcome.

Our city is infested with beaver, and here we are just 6 miles as the crow flies from the state Capitol building, smack dab in the middle of an urbanized county of nearly 900 square miles area with a million residents.  The trapper, a newly minted NC State University wildlife management graduate, pointed out a fresh buck deer scrape I hadn't seen earlier as we walked down the hill to the creek. Beaver and muskrats in the pond, blue herons and egrets down there too, whitetail deer moseying back and forth along the bank of the pond, red fox, coyotes, wood ducks, hawks, owls, and more domesticated Canada geese than you can shake a stick at.  It's a regular Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom down here. 

Hey, I just saw Marlin Perkins!

Foy

#59 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:27 PM

Rolling, rolling, rolling..................

couldn't resist. Great story Foy! :)

#60 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:50 AM

Don’t try to understand em, just rope em, throw and brand em....

I agree, a great story, and I don’t blame you for taking revenge on the beaver.  An heirloom tree is a treasure.

I hope you said howdy to Marlin for all of us out here.

Rolling, rolling, rolling..................

couldn't resist. Great story Foy! :)

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users