2 replies to this topic

#1 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:56 PM

Got a new project delivered.  Not sure what year though?

Got it delivered on Saturday and stripped down Sunday!  Had a sink and stove, but did not see a furnace.

I am thinking to do the following and appreciate any advice for this build:

• Make it a shell that rest on the truck's bed rails
  • Chop the frame so that the base is 6.5' to fit my truck (cabover nub will go full size)
  • Chop most of the back wall so that I can make a hatch opening and keep my tailgate
  • Fabricate Jack Brackets
  • New Canvas
  • Will incorporate solar and quick release appliances ran from LiPo (i.e. fridge)
  • Not sure on lift mech, probably will avoid re-making panels. 
  • Not sure on windows, but will update these too
  • Not sure on skin, but love FWC's Silver Spur look and Project M diamond plate
  • Not sure about interior on this one

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1804.jpg
  • IMG_1805.jpg
  • IMG_1809.jpg
  • IMG_1807.jpg

2014 Ram 3500 MegaCab, 1983 FWC Fleet

#2 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:41 PM

More photos of the teardown process.  I was excited to do this build having recently completed one (83 Fleet) that was very similar.

Last time, it took 3 or 4 days to end up at the same point (frame off), because I had contemplated keeping and fixing certain things and working around them – pretty much a dream stage of doing a light fix up before the OCD kicks in. 

This time, I only had to think about what to rip apart, what to keep, how to store it, and how to get it done quickly so that the honey-do’s could also be accomplished. 

And BTW, since we are sharing, my advice is don’t ask for permission and beg for forgiveness.  My approach on this is to have all of your good friends “randomly” stop by just as your new toy is being delivered.  This helps buffer the rage when you have honey-do’s and a heap of rotted wood and 30 year FWC smell gets dropped onto the driveway!   

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1819.jpg
  • IMG_1815 (1).jpg
  • IMG_1818.jpg

#3 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:53 PM

Off to the Dump and Back to engineering / "dreamer" stage. 

Will get the frame on a jig (aka my utility trailer) and begin figuring out what I'm going to cut and what support aluminum I will need. 

Probably a good idea to figure out the window situation and base platform I will use to secure it to the bed rails.  May be a while!   

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1860.jpg
  • IMG_1824.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: canvas, fwc, pop top, frame, jacks, paint, roof, aluminum, epdm, rubber

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users