Photo
- - - - -

BBQ for camper - with a poll!

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: BBQ for camper - with a poll! (101 member(s) have cast votes)

Charcoal or propane?

1. Charcoal (41 votes [40.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.59%

2. Propane (60 votes [59.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hey all, just wondering what people use for BBQ's while out with their truck campers? I'm undecided b/w charcoal (superior, yes, but one more thing to lug around) or LP (already have 2 10lb bottles in my FWC Hawk). So, I thought I'd throw it out there for suggestions and see what other people use, how you transport/store it, etc... Even the compact ones tend to be a bit bulky and odd shaped.

I thought I'd throw a poll in too, jff. I know people get pretty set on how they grill!

Have at it. Cheers.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

I use one of these:

Posted Image

Inside one of these:
Posted Image
With room for this too:

Posted Image

PROS: Very light. Completely contained. Keeps smells contained.
CONS: Bulky, takes up space.

**With concept credits to TT**

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

You got my attention, I need one and will be watching for the winner.

I'm leaning toward propane though, less mess?
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

I use the Weber "Go Anywhere Gas Grill".

Posted Image

I've used one of these (and earlier versions of the same thing...after breaking control knobs letting it slide around in the bed of my pickup) for probably 15-20 years. I like the convenience (can't get more convenient than: 1) turn it on/ignite, 2) cook, 3) turn it off and put it away), it performs well enough for my purposes, and is large enough for my purposes (though probably not large enough for large family/group).
The photo shows it with a disposable propane container, but of course it will also work with a full-size tank-and-hose with the right adapter.

I stow it in what's supposed to be the porta-potty spot of my Hawk; it would also fit in the under-couch stowage.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

"I use the Weber "Go Anywhere Gas Grill"."

MarK,

I like the looks of that one and it is even made in the USA!

Couldn't tell from the web site though if it uses the lava rock crap or plates of some kind?
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

Couldn't tell from the web site though if it uses the lava rock crap or plates of some kind?

A metal plate -- shaped like the roof of a classic tent or simple house. They call it the "flavorizor system/bar"...as in, the meat drippings hit the hot plate and create "flavor".
Here's a top view of the tent-shaped plate -- the tube that distributes the flame is hidden underneath, preventing flare-up:

Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

SunMan and Mark, I like both of your setups. Thanks for the input.

I was checking out the Napoleon Travel Q at the Toronto Sportsman's Show recently, but haven't looked at enough alternatives to pull the trigger on anything.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#8 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Locationwa state

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

We also use the Weber "Go Anywhere Gas Grill". For camping it works great, no ashes to mess with when done, and easy start n stop :lol:
Ben 96 f350 4x4 86 keystone

#9 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

I use an Olympian. It mounts on my trailer.....or if I'm not using the trailer it also works freestanding. It works very well with no hot spots....very even heat/cooking. I just use a tee in my main propane line and run it off the same tank that runs the camper. The hose has a quick disconnect so it's a snap to hook up and take down.

My Hawk has the dinette option so I store it between the two seats. There is a slider that fits in there and makes it a great storage location for large items.

Here's a picture of it mounted to the trailer:
grill mounted to trailer2.JPG

Here's a couple of pictures of it freestanding:
grill freestanding1.JPG

grill freestanding2.JPG

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#10 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

I have been using one very similar to markbc's (but cheap wal-mart style, not as good of quality) for several years now. when not in use, I store the propane bottles and bbq tools right inside so it's all self contained. Then I house it inside an army "wet weather" bag up in the Yakima box on the roof. It only weighs a couple pounds so it doesn't weigh things down and when you're on the road it's up and out of the way. Everything is right there all contained. Very easy to clean and no fancy plumbing necessary. Simple and cheap. I think I've paid $25 or so for mine and they last a few years.

The bag is like this. Very tough and durable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4aa21dba74

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users