• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

So, my apology if there is info on this topic already, if so, I did not find it. I have a 2012 FWC Hawk, for the most part, it weights 2K plus pounds. I'm thinking seriously about upgrading to a 3/4 ton Diesel in the near future. I have a '02 4x4 Tundra with Automatic Trans. now. Question: What tansmission, auto or manual, would fit my set up properly. I use my truck with camper once a month, camper is on truck almost always, drive a lot of backcountry roads, but also a lot of highway miles to get to the backcountry. I'm not driven to beat up my truck on severe 4x4 roads.        

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

Almost all of the new automatics having a locking tork convertor and a locking over drive. I don't need a manual and clutch anymore.

#3 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

Auto is easier to manage on rough trails especially with a heavy rig. Vs trying to manage the clutch etc.

I like MT for their simplicity but most of the established known Automatics are pretty reliable. The new 6+speed Automatics however could be interesting regarding reliability and only time will tell.

#4 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

I'm with Bill, to a degree.  With virtually all modern automatics having torque converter "lockup", eliminating entirely any slippage from the engine to the drivetrain, one of the old-school major objections to automatice is eliminated.  And he's also right about overdrive lockout--modern automatics have pushbutton settings (mine's on the end of the shift lever) locking the transmission out of overdrive, which on mine, also disables the "coast clutch".  With the coast clutch disabled, you get real-world engine braking.  Engine braking on a diesel is rather more powerful than on a gasser.  I can descend long 6-8% grades with very little braking if I lock out of overdrive at the top of the grade.

All of that said, when I shopped for a used 3/4 ton or 1-ton diesel 10 years ago, I wanted a manual.  I just couldn't find one in the weeks of casual to active searching.  They're rare back East.  I fancied a manual mostly due to having suffered multiple auto trans failures on prior vehicles, all due to overheating during boat towing excursions (4 auto trans failures in all, from 1985 through 2002, and all but 1 in half-ton Suburbans, including twice in the same 'Burban!).  My thinking was "get a manual trans and be DONE with trans failure always being in the back of my mind".  Couldn't find one, and to top it all off, I bought a 2002 Ford 7.3 diesel with the notorious 4R100 automatic, known far and wide for torque converter failure at an early age.  Must have gotten a good one, as now she's got 244,000 miles on the original 4R100 automatic.

Foy

#5 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:26 PM

I have a 2013 Hawk. I got the base package and added screen door, jacks, and a few other little things. Mine weighs just over 1400 loaded with water and all my camping gear. 

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:28 PM

When I'm overlanding I wish I had a manual, when I'm commuting to work I'm glad I have an auto. Not sure what I'd do if I was getting a new truck now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:48 AM

i had a 2013 ram 2500 with a 6sp. manual , i really liked it until it got wrecked  i could not find a truck to replace it so i got a new silverado  but anyway , you get more torque with an auto from ram so if you are pulling a load..

#8 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

Thank you for all your great impute.  Still undecided...What to do?

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

Another crotch-sore, fence-sitter. Our diesel is an auto. Ours is a 12V Cummins and on our last trip it got hot enough that I pulled it over to let it cool down. I was seeing 235°F in the pan and climbing. We were going up CA 168 toward the Bristle Cones at the hottest time of the day, but I had been waffling on what to get for the runabout and that experience affirmed my purchase of an NV 4500 manual for it.

If you're buying used some autos (Allison) are better than others. No clue about all the new stuff. Comes down to, what do you want?

Edited by ntsqd, 19 September 2014 - 03:06 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

I wasn't aware of the converter and overdrive lockout.  Auto have gotton better. I have an auto in my '02 (170K miles) tundra and it works flawlessly. Did I just "jinx" myself....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users