• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

Ha! The real revelation here is how much our campers weigh .... Thanks to NorCal for saying it. That said I am gonna stick with my 1/2 ton and upgrade the suspension. Yes it's a slug on the mountain passes.

I would be interested to k now if the manual transmissions, because they are so rare command a higher resale value, or is it the opposite?

#12 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:33 AM

Manual Transmission lowers resale value a bit since the automatic transmission is an expensive option to begin with.  They are harder to sell because autos are easier around town/traffic and are better for towing.  I had a manual transmission on a 2500 CTD truck and it was manageable but harder on rough and steep roads.  For rock crawling, I've seen a manual do pretty well in Moab, but it really was not as manageable as an automatic transmission.  

#13 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:31 AM

GM and Ford no longer even offer a stick transmission. Ram does but only with the derated lower output motor. The only manual shifter I own is my Harley.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#14 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

I have an Allison automatic transmission is my Chevy and keep being amazed at how good it is.

#15 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

One of the very smart decisions on Chevy's part was getting very friendly with Allison. One of the few really good business decisions upper management made ;-) I'm liking what I see GM doing today. The new CEO seems to get it and no doubt has lots of house cleaning still but I'm more and more impressed with their recent vehicles. I hope they keep moving forward we need some good Domestic Auto Business news for a change besides TESLA. LOL

#16 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

If and when I reach a point of needing a replacement truck, and the "when" is based largely upon available funds (or, at the very least, a lessening of other needs for funds!), I'm thinking an Allison in a 1-ton single-rear wheel Chebby is what I'll shoot for.

Interesting to learn manuals are not even offered by GM and Ford.  Not that I'll ever be in the market for a new diesel pickup with a price tag > $60,000.

Foy

Edited by Foy, 22 September 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#17 madhatt

madhatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

I have a 6 speed manual (ZF-6) in my 2005 F-250 6.0L Diesel. It's been great so far, the Low speed has come in handy when crawling through bumpy patches or making steep rough descents. Every vehicle I've ever bought has had a manual transmission. There's a certain gratification that I get out of clutching and shifting gears, and I like the predictability of it all (it only changes gears when I tell it to). I really like that the Reverse and 1st gears are over in the same corner, makes it easier for rocking out of a rutt or turning the big wheelbase around on a narrow road (6 point turn, anyone?).

#18 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

I am a manual person. With my 12 valve and NV2500, I find it easy. I almost always in low range where the gears are closer and I can maintain a low RPM. When the road gets rough, I take my foot off the accelerator and  just let the engine idle the truck along, even going up steep hills. Works perfectly. The only drawback to the manual is in soft sand. I cannot shift fast enough to get up a good speed, so I sort of churn my way through it. A auto is far better. Where I live, traffic is not a issue. Everybody has different setups and their reasons for making it that way. What works for me may not work for the next person, just have to weigh all the factors and make a decision. 

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#19 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:08 PM

I've had both and there are pluses and minuses. Both behind a 7.3L powerstroke. I didn't mind the manual unless I was commuting then it was a bit of a chore. Outside of that it was fine and it would crawl and creep along.  Mine current rig has the dreaded 4R100 also but it's been fine.  157K, still original, and I work it pretty hard.  I've got friends with GM's and their results are a mixed bag as far as Allison reliability.  Buddies with Fords and Dodges seem to do better when pulling 10K lb+ loads than the GM guys.  Probably just luck of the draw...  If you take a full size rig in tight places, the auto is a little easier to handle IMO.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#20 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

One thing to consider also in getting a newer truck are the smog related components.  In 2012 I purposely bought a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd diesel just so I wouldn't have to deal with the smog components breaking or sucking power from the truck.  The lack of smog components on the earlier Dodge diesels (2003-2006) have caused their prices to actually increase.  In 2012 I paid $27,500 for my truck and it had 66k miles on it, it's probably worth that or even more now with almost 100k miles on it.  Check this out:

http://www.turbodies...-crazy-on-price

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users