Photo
- - - - -

2002 Toyota Tacoma + Finch FWC. What rear springs?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Hardcastle

Hardcastle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:30 PM

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking on this site for a while now but this is my first post. I've owned my Four Wheel Camper Finch model for ~1 year and have really been liking it. I have it on the back of my 2002 Toyota Tacoma double cab. It has the 3.4 v6 motor, auto trans, 4x4. I have a helper spring in the rear but it's just not cutting it. Any small bump and i'm hitting hard. Body roll is pretty major, too.  I'm wondering if anyone on here as the same setup and knows what rear springs work well. I've talked to a 4x4 shop i trust but their expertise is in 4 wheeling, not camper load carrying. 

A few more details if it helps. I have the shell model with furnace. I obviously load it up with camping gear that may include bikes, kayaks, extra fuel, the works. I've taken some frame strengthening precautions but i still want to avoid timbrens or airbags due to the extra stress they cause. Right now unloaded my truck is higher in the rear almost 2 inches. When loaded it sags 3/4". I'm leaning towards the Old Man Emu rear heavy springs but i wanted to see if anyone has recommendations.

Here's my truck to make this post more interesting.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3038.JPG

2008 Tundra TRD Crew Cab & Four Wheel Camper Hawk

#2 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

I have 2003 tacoma 4x4 TRD SR5 that I bought back in april to replace my 1992 toyota pickup.  I had a Phoenix  popup on it that I moved over the tacoma.  The camper probably weighs about 1100 lbs loaded. When I tried it on the Tacoma, the rear end dropped 3 inches.  I took the camper off and then added Wheeler's heavy duty 3 leaf progressive add a leafs.  They raised the back of the truck 3 inches (without the camper on).  When I put the camper back on it, back of the truck dropped 3 inches. So now I am down to the original height of the truck with the camper on.  I was trying to keep the height down so I can get the truck and camper in the garage.

I haven't had a chance to really try them out off road but on the pavement they seem to be fine.  If they don't work out I was looking at getting a set of old man emu's with an extra leaf. But I figured the add leafs where only $150 so thought I'd try them first.  I had put add a leafs on my old truck and they worked fine.

Wheelersoffroad.com is a good place. 

When you come up with a solution that works for you please post.

#3 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:29 PM

P.S.  wheelersoffroad.com has free shipping until Jan 1st

#4 Hardcastle

Hardcastle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:48 PM

Thanks zoie. The helper springs i have seems similar to the one Wheelers is offering. I'm hoping to firm things up a bit more than that. The downside will be when the camper is off. I'll likely have a pretty firm ride and a stink bug stance. 

You mentioned Old Man Emu with an extra leaf. With those springs is an extra leaf necessary? 

2008 Tundra TRD Crew Cab & Four Wheel Camper Hawk

#5 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

When I talked to Wheeler's offroad about getting the add a leafs they recommended that instead I get the old man emus and add the extra leaf for the weight I was carrying about 1100lbs.  

#6 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:06 AM

oops, relooked at webpage more carefully and wheelersoffroad only has free shipping on trail gear products.  The show free shipping in large print with a tiny asterisk and in small print the asterisk refers to trail gear products only.  Quite misleading I'd say.

#7 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:10 AM

I use to have a very similar setup. The most versatile option (esp. if you use your truck without the camper) is using ride rite air bars with the bottom detached with daystar cradles. Before going with the air bags, I would make sure the leaf pack is still in good shape. If not, I would get another standard, heavy duty leaf pack as well. You can easily inflate the air bags using a bicycle floor pump. Good luck.

Jim

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#8 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

Guys,

I too have been lurking and am pleased to be able to contribute finally - this is my first post.  I too am looking a Tacoma suspension mods for a pop up camper.

You have to read generubin's post about re-positioning the brake proportioning valve when doing this sort of mod.

http://www.wanderthe...-toyota-tacoma/

Good luck,

Jerry

#9 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:58 PM

Specifically for pre-2005 Tacomas like yours Hardcastle.

Sounds like ABS now does the job of the proportioning valve.

http://www.wanderthe...dd-a-leafs-etc/

#10 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:44 AM

Here's a link with more info on buying or making a bracket to re-position the proportion valve.   Pretty easy to make a bracket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users