• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:44 AM

I have been researching, PMing with various WTW members and speaking with FWC for the past 2 months. Today, I took my 14 month old daughter and my wife to Woodland to speak with Stan and to test out the different configurations in person because I was still teetering between a shell DIY project or base model. We use to have a 2007 Eagle Shell with rollover couch.

I spoke with Stan for awhile and he created two quotes for us. You quickly forget just how much everything costs. A base model with camp jacks, furnace,Yakima tracks and furnace added up to be about around $19K with tax. I was surprised but not really. 

In the back of my mind, I had always thought about building a shell similar to what other members have done. So after discussing the pros and cons of each option, we decided to go with the shell built out with a side dinette with design inspired by Ambling1: http://www.wanderthe...buildout/page-4

First phase will be just the two seats and table. Second phase will be the cabinets on the driver side with 12v fridge. I may omit sink and water tank. 

Our shell will have the following options:

Furnace
Solar wiring with plug on roof and rear wall (which is now standard i.e free!!)
Extra roof vent and powered
Yakima tracks only
Aux Battery wiring only
Prep. for exterior gas struts
 8' Awning

I'm very glad to have reached a conclusion in this process. Just need to confirm my order on Monday!!

Thanks all for your help and advice! And  especially to Bill, Ambling,RnK, JH6av8r, Skipin and others for the inspiration!

BTW: I'm very impressed by the fit, finish and overall quality of the new campers. It has definitely improved over the years

Jim

Edited by super doody, 16 April 2015 - 04:51 AM.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#2 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

Congratulations Jim!

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:46 PM

Congrats.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

Looking forward to see how you deck it out. 

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

Congrats, looking forward to your build.

#6 RnK

RnK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

A nice feeling to finally make the decisions.  And very exciting to get the show on the road.  Good Luck!

2004 Tundra 4x4 Dbl. Cab

2014 Hawk Shell

#7 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:16 PM

Thanks all!  :D

The only hesitation is getting the furnace option ($1K) in the Shell configuration which is right above where the propane box by the rear door on the driver where the ice box/fridge would go. The battery box is also int he same location. I don't think its a good use of space so  I think I  would eventually relocate the battery to the front passenger side where it is typically located in the base model. I thought about getting the furnace and installing it myself but I'm not sure how time consuming that would be. 

#8 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

Congrats on the new camper Jim.  I built out my own Bobcat shell and I enjoyed the building process almost as much as the camping. I hope you post a lot of pics.

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#9 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

Thanks all!  :D

The only hesitation is getting the furnace option ($1K) in the Shell configuration which is right above where the propane box by the rear door on the driver where the ice box/fridge would go. The battery box is also int he same location. I don't think its a good use of space so  I think I  would eventually relocate the battery to the front passenger side where it is typically located in the base model. I thought about getting the furnace and installing it myself but I'm not sure how time consuming that would be. 

My shell had the furnace and batteries in the corner with a stove on top. Agree not a good location. Installing the furnace your self not hard if you can run copper and have the tools to do it. I did have to borrow a fairing tool, could not find my dad's. Vent for exhaust you will need to cut a hole and install alum tube to mount to.  I would have FWC install the propane box at the least, this would be a big retro-fit. If you go to a Wave or other heater you will still need propane.  You can find the heater on line less than $500  if you do not want it in the back corner. For the $1,000 you might be getting the box, tanks and install work, not that bad of a cost if you do. See this heater thread, the Propex looks interesting. 

Edited by billharr, 25 January 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#10 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:45 PM

My shell had the furnace and batteries in the corner with a stove on top. Agree not a good location. Installing the furnace your self not hard if you can run copper and have the tools to do it. I did have to borrow a fairing tool, could not find my dad's. Vent for exhaust you will need to cut a hole and install alum tube to mount to.  I would have FWC install the propane box at the least, this would be a big retro-fit. If you go to a Wave or other heater you will still need propane.  You can find the heater on line less than $500  if you do not want it in the back corner. For the $1,000 you might be getting the box, tanks and install work, not that bad of a cost if you do. See this heater thread, the Propex looks interesting. 

Hi Bill,

I was going to message you. Yes, the furnce options includes the furnace ($500), propane box, wiring and two propane thanks. We want the thermostat for our baby. Its just unfortunate, we have to re route it again. I may just get the propane box. It would be great if they can do the wiring with the battery location in the back wall on the passenger side then I can just install the furnace and vent.

Did you buy the plywood board from FWC to match the rest of the interior? If so, how much did you buy?

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users