55 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:01 PM

Planning a trip to southern and eastern Utah and far-northern Arizona in late April into early May. Stew has said he's interested in crossing paths with me in that area. Anyone else interested?

I don't know where or when exactly...but in my soon-to-be-retired state, I can be flexible.

Maybe a little (or not-so-little?) WTW rendezvous...

I've been to this area several times over the years: Escalante, Lake Powell, Valley o' Gods, Monument Valley, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Toroweep, Zion, San Rafael Reef/Swell, etc...but the last time was 6 years ago, and I don't really consider myself an expert.

So... Posted Image Who might be and/or want to be in the area at the same time?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:13 PM

I'll probably be due for a vacation around then... I'll caution you that my wife and I have a 2 year old though!
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#3 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:35 AM

Just came back a week or so ago and am interested in another trip but I have to be in Illinois around April 20, haven't quite decided on how to travel to that, truck, bike, fly. Anyway I might suggest the South Cathedral Wash area about 9 mile NE of Goblin Valley. It is an OHV camp area, there was no one there when I visited. From there lots of roads to explore, some 2 wd, some rougher, plus single track for bikes/cycles. Lower elevations can start getting warm then but it is usually pretty easy to get a bit higher and stay comfortable. Capital Reef
Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#4 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

As always, I recommend highly the one day river trip with Wild River Expeditions. You start in Bluff Utah, ending in Mexican Hat, Az. Great trip, good food, excellent guide. http://www.riversandruins.com/

4 miles to the west of Bluff there is an excellent "secret" campsite the locals call Gold Camp. You cross the airstrip out of town, veer left and work your way down to the San Juan River. Just don't tell anyone else about it! (Wild Rivers Exp. will even pick you up from this camp for your river trip).

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP2895.jpg
  • IMGP1537.jpg
  • IMGP1539.jpg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#5 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

I'm headed that way over Easter weekend, so that gets my vote for a date.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#6 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

The first week of April works best for me as I'll still be in Tucson the week after Easter.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

The first week of April works best for me as I'll still be in Tucson the week after Easter.

Stew -- Do you mean the first week of May?...since Easter is at the end of April...?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

Stew -- Do you mean the first week of May?...since Easter is at the end of April...?

Ya, first week of May. Sorry about that!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

As always, I recommend highly the one day river trip with Wild River Expeditions. You start in Bluff Utah, ending in Mexican Hat, Az. Great trip, good food, excellent guide. http://www.riversandruins.com/

4 miles to the west of Bluff there is an excellent "secret" campsite the locals call Gold Camp. You cross the airstrip out of town, veer left and work your way down to the San Juan River. Just don't tell anyone else about it! (Wild Rivers Exp. will even pick you up from this camp for your river trip).

I agree with Gene take the river trip and camp at Gold Mine but Shhhhhhhhhhhhh. It's a secret.

Attached Thumbnails

• Copy of UNNAMED_FILE3435.jpeg
  • Copy of UNNAMED_FILE3465.jpeg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

Some secret... Had to wait for another FWCer to clear out the last time I went down there -

Posted Image

But when I got my turn there, I got a nice sunset to remember it by -

Posted Image

I'll be headed down to that corner SoUT in a couple of weeks... No idea exactly where yet but it doesn't matter. It's all good! :)

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users