my new solar panel

solar

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:53 AM

My new solar panel arrived today. Zamp 200W external panel with controller. The controller comes wired with the male SAE plug so it plugs right in to the female plug on the rear wall of my Grandby. Smart controller runs itself - just choose your battery type and go. The default setting is AGM. I am now officially off the grid.

http://thesolarstore...gen-p-1364.html

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:22 AM

Cool! Sounds like you have it under control!

I am haunted by waters

#3 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:28 AM

Yes, but my spending is out of control. Every time I think I'm getting close to having everything I need/want, I see something else on this forum I can't live without.

#4 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:59 AM

Ah yes....Took me 2 years to get it the way I like it.
Campers are sort of like boats...though instead of a " hole in the water" - we have a " hole in the concrete" in which to pour money".
Can't take it with you and if you don't spend it your kids will when you are gone

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:02 AM

Yes, but my spending is out of control. <stuff clipped>

As I get closer to 70, the reality of my mortality is truly setting in. Hence, I have adopted the new SKIN philosophy. That's Spend Kid's Inheritance Now. Don't deny yourself some of the pleasures of life.

In our case, three of our four kids will be fine, but we have one child with a mild form of autism. There should be plenty left over to help that child when needed, so I am feeling pretty positive about the philosophy.

I recognize there needs to be balance in that spending, but when it's my time, I want to slide in to the plate saying "Damn, that was a ride!".

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 07 February 2015 - 03:11 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#6 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:45 PM

2020, I have a portable 80w Zamp to compliment my larger roof panel.  Feel good about your purchase...it's green and clean.  

#7 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

Well, I finally decided to put a 100 watt panel on my roof after reading Bill Harr's post, thanks for the inspiration Bill. I think I got the same one he did http://www.amazon.co...ds=solar panel. I do have a solar in a bag so I did the same as Bill. I also set up my portable so I could use it to charge a car battery etc using it's charger.

I first mounted the rails to ensure proper setup. Then I placed the panel on them so I could ensure there were no interferences with the plug. I then applied rivets on both ends to secure to the rails and finished the remaining rivets on the ground. Here's the finished product.
20150218_104839.jpg

I used rivets instead of screws to ensure a long lasting attachement:
20150218_104907.jpg

I mounted the controller here and fused the battery and each panel:

20150218_104930.jpg

Here's the setup with two panels and 200 watts:
20150218_105710.jpg
20150218_105232.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150218_104951.jpg
  • 20150218_105012.jpg

Edited by BobM, 18 February 2015 - 07:46 PM.

#8 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:46 AM

I opted for an external  solar panel because I'm afraid that a hailstorm could wipe out my investment.

#9 DanT

DanT

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:55 AM

As I get closer to 70, the reality of my mortality is truly setting in. Hence, I have adopted the new SKIN philosophy. That's Spend Kid's Inheritance Now. Don't deny yourself some of the pleasures of life.

In our case, three of our four kids will be fine, but we have one child with a mild form of autism. There should be plenty left over to help that child when needed, so I am feeling pretty positive about the philosophy.

I recognize there needs to be balance in that spending, but when it's my time, I want to slide in to the plate saying "Damn, that was a ride!".

I love when this forum becomes half camper wisdom and half life wisdom.

WS, thanks for the nugget .

#10 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:21 AM

According to the manual, these are really tough. They use a strong silicon material. I would guess that anything (hailstones?) That would destroy this would also destroy the roof even worse. I will still use my portable when camping under a tree or when I need more power like on hot days where I need to run both fans. What I like about the new permanent one is I no longer have to stress when I spend a few day in a hotel and the refer is full. I installed the panel this morning and turned on my refer to test the system out. At 6:00 PM tonight I was at full power. I'll check again tomorrow evening after tonight with no sun.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users