• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

Most of the campers on this site love adventure. By definition adventure has some risk, along life. Everyone has a different level of risk they find except-able, water in my camper tank is way down my list. When young I raced motorcycle, still ride and split traffic in CA. Note: splitting traffic is safer than sitting in traffic waiting for someone texting or drinking coffee to rear end me. (CHP study)

Now these guys that climb rocks, too much risk for me but I understand why they do it. 

#22 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,379 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

I am enjoying all the different perspectives on this subject. If we are going to get really scientific here, how are you determining GI issues, while camping, are caused by bad water/green slime? Giardia is widely claimed to be the culprit from drinking backcountry water, yet lacking many studies actually measuring how much is in the water. I believe most GI issues are caused by poor hygiene while backpacking or camping.

The Lady & I pay attention to hand washing, etc. We are out very often. We rarely get sick.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#23 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

Risk vs consequences is definitely the approach to consider.  Peter Kummerfeldt is one of the experts in back country risks. Balance being dehydrated vs getting medical help for water borne pathogens after drinking it.  I have attended a number of his lectures at the PDX Sportsman Show. Being dehydrated results in poor decisions. 

If you are not in a survival situation, take steps to sanitize the water you obtain before drinking it.  Carry questionable water in a separate container rather than putting it in your camper tank and sanitize it as you need it. 

I have carried a Katydyn Hiker filter for a long time for the water I drink, and carry Chlorine Dioxide as a backup. These are for small drinking quantities I only put known potable water in my camper tank as keeping it safe is easier than making it safe again.

Ski is likely correct about personal hygiene being the source of most problems. Well, that and food safety. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#24 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

Agreed...poor hygiene probably leads to more sickness than drinking camper water.  That's why I never let people reach inside the bag if I'm sharing trail mix, candy, etc.  Always pour into their hands.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#25 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

I'm honestly NOT anti-hygeine, and I think Ski3 and co are right that handwashing etc. are as good a protectant against getting sick while travelling (and otherwise).  I do use hand sanitizer when I can't wash properly.  Still, I do think this article may have some relevance to this discussion even though it's a bit lateral...

http://www.theguardi...d-washing-study

...and I'd really like to know the relative bug content of bottled water vs other sources.  Anybody got any studies?

#26 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,379 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:02 PM

Interesting reading, thanks N'kwala.

I just found this article and I am unfamiliar with the author.

Drinking Water For Hiking: Myths and Facts

The author cites studies I have quoted and used and pretty much sees it as I do.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#27 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:49 PM

Great link Ski. May also explain why our dogs rarely get sick from drinking whatever water they can find. 

I'll add one about dirty water. Burns. While you may and probably will get a infection from using dirty water to cool a burn its more important to cool the burn than worry about an infection which can be treated later. Now thats what we were taught when I was fighting forest fires. Its another thing if you can spend a few seconds to grab clean water. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#28 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,766 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:56 AM

When in doubt, boil it!  When back in the dark ages when I first started camping and serious back packing as a young lad, we really didn't think much about Giardia, we just used common sense, if it looked bad you boiled it (so maybe that's why we had the "GI's " allot back then). It seemed to me that when I got out of the Army in 67, and started back packing again, it seems like  Giardia was the in thing back then,and we all bought our selves a filter to add to our old water purifying tablets! You mean  those pure mountain springs ain't so pure any more-lot's of bad bugs and things? But how many times did we still take a drank out of that clear mountain stream--and hoped there was not a dead deer up stream from where you drank.  Yep, I have a hot water heater in my pop up and do use it allot for both hand and dish washing and have rarely used the fresh water tank for drinking, but that's more of a taste reason than green slime reason.  Still have both the filter and tablets in my fishing/day pack-never, ever can you be to safe!

I've spent a  good 45 plus years doing a job-a field job-where I needed to carry my day's (sometimes allot more)supply of water either in my pack or in the truck, and more than once, I have been temped to take a drink from a cool mountain stream and a few time I may have, but I had to be real thirsty and source real good (and real lucky too) before I did.  As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, "unless you are in that survival situation, play it safe and boil it first".

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 25 February 2015 - 12:58 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#29 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for keeping it a rational discussion, folks, instead of becoming advasarial on the subject.
Good points have been brought up, and thoughtful discussion. Bravo!

Win-win.

#30 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:33 AM

A little off-topic, but since it's already been brought up -- Regarding the safety of wild water:

I've heard Les Stroud ("Survivorman") say that in a survival situation it's silly to worry about giardia in the water when dehydration is a more-urgent issue -- same as some folks have alluded to here. Most of Les's experience (outside of his show) is in North America.

And yet, in a different reality-TV show -- "Naked and Afraid" -- they frequently say, depending on the locale, that the surface water must be treated because it can contain viruses and other deadly pathogens.  "N&A" is frequently set in tropical areas, sometimes in Asia.  In one episode a guy drank untreated --- but beautiful-looking -- surface water from some Asian jungle creek and got very ill within hours. Not simple diarrhea -- he had to be evacuated to a hospital.

Just wondering if it's true that wild water outside of North America -- maybe in tropical Asia --  is actually, potentially, significantly more dangerous to drink than water "around here".

I'm not talking about drinking from the Ganges or downstream of a dead elephant -- I mean nice looking sparkling water in a wild jungle, wondering if in some areas of the world there are naturally-occurring pathogens that are fiercer and faster-acting than good old giardia.

Does it seem kinda funny to base a question on reality TV shows? :P   Yeah...but the question still interests me. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users