55 replies to this topic

#11 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

Nice job on the video Bill!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

I did that years ago with a homemade one. It was pretty popular but guess who gets to maintain it?

Thetford in the camper but I think I've only used it inside the camper once. Wag bags in the Jeep. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:32 AM

Here's a link to the "Potty" thread that has a lot of info. on this subject:

http://www.wanderthe...pic/7075-potty/

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#14 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:06 AM

Liquids: unbreakable jug with sealing lid.  Currently using quart fabric softener jug (handle is added bonus).  Softener smell is impregnated into the plastic and will smell 'nice' for ~6 months use, if rinsed out daily.

Solids:  5 gallon bucket with a 'real' toilet seat, sawdust to reduce smells (works as well as kitty litter and is free), gamaseal lid to keep any smells in the bucket.  Heavy duty bag (6 mil) lining the bucket, with another smaller bag draped over the rim after removal of lid, held on by toilet seat.  Small bag is tied and kept in the (sealed) bucket until disposed of.

honey bucket saddle.jpg

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#15 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationPoint Reyes Station, California

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:01 AM

I guess I don't quite understand the question:  It seems that wherever I camp I am faced with either of 2 scenarios.

1.- Established campground with lots of people around and some sort of permanent toilet. 

2.- Off-the-beaten-track "primitive" camping with very few people around and a nice private patch of earth that has not previously been dug up within a couple hundred yard walk.

Very seldom have I encountered a place that had high enough usage to make digging a hole problematic but didn't already have a toilet of some sort.

I actually have a more difficult time finding a place to dig my hole in some of the more heavily-used backpacking areas than when "dispersed" camping with a vehicle.  I've had to walk as far as half a mile to dig my hole in some popular backpacking destinations.

As for the question about keeping the significant other happy, I guess it depends on the "other" but mine is happiest when she can shower regularly in relative privacy in warm water.  Digging holes doesn't phase her.

Hot tea on cold mornings also goes a long way towards keeping her happy!

#16 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

I guess I don't quite understand the question:  It seems that wherever I camp I am faced with either of 2 scenarios.

1.- Established campground with lots of people around and some sort of permanent toilet. 

2.- Off-the-beaten-track "primitive" camping with very few people around and a nice private patch of earth that has not previously been dug up within a couple hundred yard walk.

Very seldom have I encountered a place that had high enough usage to make digging a hole problematic but didn't already have a toilet of some sort.

Deranged, 100acrehuphalump, who started this thread, belongs ot a group called American Adventurist which organises "wilderness" get-togethers with many non-self-contained vehicles--trucks, ground tents, vehicle tents and trailer tents.  With so many people camped closely together and no toilets, his question about potties makes sense.  But maybe the better solution would be to follow BillHarr's lead and truck in a few porto-potties for American Adventurist events.  I see they got a large dumpster to the site.

Attached Thumbnails

• AA.jpg

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#17 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:00 PM

BillHarr's video was hilarious! I'd hate to be inside going down the road, and I'd hate to have to clean the inside after going down That road in his video. The Dumpster would be a good name for a Porta Potty.

The dumpster was a great idea for their Desert Rendezvous , because like many who care about the environment, they do a big cleanup of the area before hand and police the area afterwards. Plus they needed somewhere to throw away all of the EZ Ups that got trashed by the wind.

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 25 March 2015 - 11:06 PM.

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#18 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationPoint Reyes Station, California

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:09 AM

Thanks for the heads-up Stew.  Now it all makes sense to me.  This is the first I had heard of American Adventurist (which probably says a lot more about my lack of social media skills than the presence of the organization!).  I'll have to look into it.

#19 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:10 AM

100acrehuphalump is the same guy on http://americanadventurist.com
He's not really a superhero, but he does have imaginary friends...
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#20 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

Pop-up nylon shower/toilet enclosure which houses the bucket/toilet seat combo which is lined with HD plastic bags/kitty litter for solid wastes.  Enclosure sits within a 4' x 4' nylon "pan" which has a drain w/hose fitting in a bottom corner of the floor, and to that I affix a short section of old garden hose to drain the shower into a gray water tank. Gray water tank dumped into a vault toilet or onto a sandy surface when full, and use of fully biodegradable shower soaps/shampoos minimizes impact, at least in most environments.

And yes, the 6 gallon propane water heater built in to the camper and a reasonably private shower/toilet stall keeps the wifely unit reasonably happy. 

Foy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users