#21 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:25 AM

simimike, pm sent

Edited by BlueRidge, 12 April 2015 - 03:07 AM.

#22 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:26 AM

simimike, pm sent

Replied 

#23 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:56 PM

2200lbs sounds like a good number. Should give you some leeway :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#24 frorider

frorider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:06 AM

hope folks don't mind if I hijack this thread with my questions on the same topic.  I'm about to buy a 2015 F150 4X4 supercab w/ 2.7 ecoboost and 6.5 ft bed.  Leaning toward the Hawk; 4WC claims 895 lb dry weight, but I've heard (and maybe it was in this thread) that actual dry weight is 1200 lb with usual appliances etc?  My rule of thumb is to take dry weight and add 900 lbs for water / propane / food / clothing etc., so I was thinking my load (not counting me & the wife) was around 1800 lbs -- but should I be planning for more like 2100 lbs?  http://www.ford.com/...ations/payload/  indicates that the payload for my truck would be 1740 lb standard/ 2160 lb with payload package.  

Roughly 9 months/yr this truck would be my gen'l driver (no camper), with some 2 - 6 week trips sprinkled in there, so to avoid having an unloaded truck rear end skipping around (due to stiffer springs -- and tires I assume?) I was thinking of getting the standard version and adding airbags on the rear, but maybe the heavy payload version is really the only way to go?

These 2.7 ecoboosts are an unusual engine, almost like a diesel in terms of torque at low revs, and I know that they seem to tow well even with a 3.55 rear end.  I believe the heavy payload configuration forces you to get the 3.73.  As I educate myself on modern engines like this 2.7 I'm realizing that my usual prejudices (e.g. 3.73 is a 'must') may need rexamination.  

#25 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:24 AM

I'd personally get the payload package.  It's not like it's going to be like driving a 1 ton with no weight in the back.

My GMC Sierra Regular cab has a payload of 1800# and I added Ride-Rite airbags.  The airbags do change the ride with no load.  You have to have some air in them 5 lbs minimum.  Even this small amount stiffens the ride a bit and lifts up the rear end a little.

Edited by Bill D, 22 April 2015 - 03:27 AM.

#26 frorider

frorider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:06 AM

Thx Bill, that's helpful.

#27 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:52 PM

What I'm hearing from a long-time Ford tech friend is that the Ecoboost's mpg's drop like a rock when worked hard. That for frequent hard work the V8 does better.

A bag of sand or more at the tail gate will help the unladen ride quality as well as aid wet weather traction.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#28 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:40 PM

I can appreicate not wanting to drive a BIG truck in a busy city.  I don't mind it so much until I need to find a place to park.  99% of all parking garages are off limits due to my truck's height.

Interestingly, IMO, the factory and domestic manufacturers of springs seem designed simply for increasing the payload without considering ride comfort.  I rode in several trucks with after-market springs and was dissatisfied. 

Thus, I installed Old Man Emu Dakar F-350 spings (2.5" lift) with a additional 1200# constant weight leaf (carries load of my Hawk camper with hardly any deflection) in the rear pack on my F-250.  This effectively raised my GVWR from 8800# to 10,500# and is so certified by DOT in my state.  In order to determine the max weight for your brakes to effectively stop your rig, look for the GCVW (Gross Combine Vehicle Weight) with a conventional trailer (a trailer without brakes).  My 2003 F-250 has a GCVR of 12500#.

Old Man Emu Dakar springs are designed in Australia and manufactured in Malaysia.  The springs are designed for the Aussies to drive 50mph through the Outback with a nice ride.  There are more leaves in the pack and each spring is slightly thinner than factory springs.  I was told this is where a more compliant ride comes from.

Anyway, I am very pleased with the results.

Take a look at F-150 OME springs offered by ARB-USA.

Edited by Advmoto18, 22 April 2015 - 02:45 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users