Arizona Strip Area

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:39 AM

I spent 10 days in the Arizona Strip and Southern Utah area. Nice remote areas with great scenery. Weather was changable as it usually is this time of year. Some rain,snow and wind but many nice days as well.
I visited the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in several places as well as hiking in the Paria Canyon area.
My All Terrain Panther kept me warm in dry in all these conditions and functioned flawlessly.
Desertrat

Attached Thumbnails

• Road trip 3-12 sites truck 028.jpg
  • Road trip 3-12 sites truck 066.jpg
  • Road trip 3-12 sites truck 035.jpg

#2 Rockjok

Rockjok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

I just spent a couple weeks "geologizing" in the San Rafael Swell and Arizona Strip areas. Any time I would see a good campsite I'd save the GPS coordinates for a future trip. I've been camping in these areas before in a Honda Civic and a small Toyota motorhome but the combination of a lightweight truck camper and 4x4 is definitely the ultimate!! Being able to take off on atv tracks let me find a lot of cool nooks and crannies in the desert.

The small amount of rain and snow I encountered lent a whole new meaning to the numerous "Impassable when wet" signs I encountered. No big deal tho', I'd just wait a couple hours for the "grease" covered tracks to get tacky again.

The worst part of the whole trip was my extremely bad tire karma! The almost new Firestone A/Ts I had turned out to be suitable only for pavement. The first flat tire occurred on a gnarly stretch of track near Gold Butte - cactus spines. The phony "donut" spare I put on lasted about 10 miles but got me back onto a gravel road before it exploded. I put the flat tire back on and used a can of fix-a-flat and my walmart compressor to get to a tire shop in Mesquite. The next day I was back in the Arizona strip with another rear tire flat, sharp rock in the tread this time. More fix-a-flat and compressor time got me 70 miles to the pavement near Colorado City UT where the other rear tire blew out half a mile from the tire shop. The four new heavier LT tires I bought performed great for the rest of my explorations (~500 miles of gravel and atv tracks).

Now I'm back home in Montana and it seems that there is more of the snow here that I wanted to escape than when I left. Hopefully spring will arrive soon allowing more access to "local" camp spots.

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• Copy of IMG_0005.jpg
  • Copy of IMG_0064.JPG
  • Copy of IMG_0326.JPG
  • Copy of IMG_0375.JPG
  • Copy of IMG_0467.JPG

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:38 PM

Terrific pix Rocky. How about sharing those GPS coordinates so we all can go. Especially that stand of trees between the rocks where you camped and ofcourse the arch.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing, its one of my favorite areas.

How about sharing those GPS coordinates so we all can go.

Thats an interesting idea. We could create a database with GPS coords and descriptions, organized by state, available to WTW members. I've been doing this on my own travels (mostly in UT, NV) but it might be great to benefit from others as well. Of course, then your secret spots wouldn't be so secret. Thoughts?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#5 Rockjok

Rockjok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

I think a database of campspots would be a great idea with a few qualifications. It shouldn't be accessable to everybody, i.e. members only, and not available on internet search engines. Perhaps a geocache system if anybody is into that "sport".

A lot of the areas I've explored have numerous camp sites and half the fun is finding the perfect spot. Some I wouldn't want to post but would be glad to send descriptions etc thru private mail.

It'd be nice to have regions with camping possibilities available. It would certainly take a lot of the guess work out of travelling by being able to plan trips. I always like to be seeking a camping "area" by late afternoon. And it really sucks when you're in an area that has only paved "designated" pay campsites and thats heavily patrolled by the ranger gestapo.

Conversely I met a BLM ranger last week who pointed me toward a great spot. Technically it was a bit inside a non-motorized vehicle area but he said there wouldn't be any problem as long as I stayed only on existing tracks. Wish they were all that helpful.

I'll be doing a broad writeup on the San Rafael Swell area soon once I get some maps etc finished. A great place to explore, even in the winter.

Rob

#6 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the write up guys. Nice pics.

Marc:)

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#7 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:34 AM

Thats an interesting idea. We could create a database with GPS coords and descriptions, organized by state, available to WTW members. I've been doing this on my own travels (mostly in UT, NV) but it might be great to benefit from others as well. Of course, then your secret spots wouldn't be so secret. Thoughts?

I'm going to be adding a GPS database later this year, hopefully integrated with Google Maps. The private DB is an interesting idea. We'll have to throw some ideas around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users