23 replies to this topic

#11 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

Years ago the guys at All Terrain Camper gave me this sheet.    They made it very clear that the floor pac had to be supported if people would be walking inside while the camper was off the truck.

Attached Thumbnails

• Camper Xs.jpg

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#12 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

Regardless, if can load floor or not (FWC told me must be supported), mine is very wobbly just on the jacks anyway and I wouldn't want to be in it without something under it. I have used picnic tables and other assorted makeshift supports the few times I have jacked it free to use my truck while fishing somewhere for an extended stay. With the floor supported and on jacks I have hung on the forward edge of the cab-over and my 200lbs does not tip it. Regardless, I still feel better anchoring the rear door end by putting down a couple of spiral dog anchors and tying them off to the top of the jack at the rear corner brackets with a truckers hitch. Okay, okay, I'm a belt and suspenders kind a guy.....

The typical architectural standard for a picnic table is 28". My truck bed is 33", so not much jacking but you do need help moving the table. I have used them length ways and sideways depending upon the table and site concerns. It also obviously needs to be leveled up.

Edited by Kispiox, 30 March 2015 - 09:02 PM.

#13 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:59 PM

Why not just lower it onto the ground (or driveway or garage floor)?

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#14 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:50 AM

Matt at Mainline Overland told me to build a support 'X' out of plywood to support the weight and to not use the jacks alone for when the Hawk is off the truck. It's a $20 fix for something that may cost $1000's if your floor falls out. Sounds like sage advice to me.

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 02 April 2015 - 11:51 AM.

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#15 wpage66

wpage66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

Sweet, the plywood X solution is great, Cut them and load them flat in the bed of your truck before loading in camper, you have them if you need to unload in the woods, just need some scrap wood, rocks to level them up when off loading.

I need to raise mine up anyway to get it to clear the bed rails on my 2010 F150, this will be a new solution to my bed platform.

purchased used, 2007 Hawk, fridge, hot water, awning, sitting on 2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel Pro4X.

Learning the tricks and trying to keep my mod bug in check.

#16 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

Sweet, the plywood X solution is great, Cut them and load them flat in the bed of your truck before loading in camper, you have them if you need to unload in the woods, just need some scrap wood, rocks to level them up when off loading.

I need to raise mine up anyway to get it to clear the bed rails on my 2010 F150, this will be a new solution to my bed platform.

Better be careful, if you have a full water tank and your camper is loaded.  That is a lot of weight to be lifting.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#17 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

Better be careful, if you have a full water tank and your camper is loaded.  That is a lot of weight to be lifting.

I agree, you should always be careful.

Each camper jack is rated for 2000lbs.  Lowering the camper down on a stabilized platform will only add more stability.  I see no issue.  You just don't want to start cranking 50 cranks on one jack at a time.  I do 5 cranks at a time on each jack (I actually count, just to keep things even).

If you already have plywood in your truck box to raise your FWC to clear the bed ralls, why not have it serve multiple purposes?  I like the idea.

Edited by Bill D, 03 April 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#18 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:59 PM

My comment wasn't directed at the lifting rating of the jacks, but the amount of weight on the unsupported floor.  If you go to take it off while camping with a full water tank, full porta potti you are liable to damage the floor or have everything come crashing down.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:03 AM

I wouldn't leave mine unsupported camping but I have gone inside while its supported by the jacks to do maintenance and it seemed pretty stable. Still I don't see much reason to do that while actually using the camper.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#20 BILL98388

BILL98388

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:53 PM

I used a couple of plastic sawhorses under the floor (1000 lb. capacity per pair) from HD or L for $25, cheaper than plywood and weigh less.  Support left on jacks AND sawhorses, feels pretty stable.

Bill

2104 Grandby/2015 Tundra (8-ft bed)

Steilacoom, WA

Bill

2014 Grandby on 2015 4x4 Tundra (8-ft bed)

Steilacoom, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users