• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:02 PM

Disclaimer: This article is aimed at prospective or new buyers of the regular Four Wheel Campers or campers that come with compressor 2-way refrigerators. I am not a technician or engineer. Following information is based on 2 years of research and personal experience.

Overview

There still seems to be a lot of confusion for the average compressor refrigerator owner as to whether they need one battery or two, roof solar panels or portables.

My advice if you purchase the camper with the Dometic compressor refrigerator:  buy the Aux battery system with TWO batteries…And TWO solar panels - two 100 watt solar panels on the roof or one panel on roof and  one 60-100 watt portable - Regular heavy (24 pound panels)  or the lightweight ( 4 pound) bendable 100 watt panels from Renology or Global Solar.

Third party panels: 

Solarblvd.com has good prices on regular (heavy) panels . 

Lightweight bendable panels

Renology http://www.renogy-st...tHXAaAkmS8P8HAQ

Global Solar http://www.globalsol...ible-modules/rv

Reason why…..

Dometic compressors refrigerators –  

Dometic/Waeco website specs list amp draw for the 65 liter at 3.5 amps.

Brenda at Four Wheel Campers quotes 4.8 amps average.

I know manufacture specs were produced in a lab environment under ideal conditions. Field conditions are different.  For this article I am rounding off to an average of  5 amps (model 65L) per hour depending on ambient temperature and number of times door is opened .

At a 5 amp draw one battery will run the fridge maximum of 8 hours.   Adding the furnace blower, fan, lights (couple hours at night) pushes average up to 6 - 7 amps per hour which DECREASES ONE  battery running time to 5 - 7 hours per night. Average Night time darkness 11.5 -14 hours.

Solar panel output:

A 100 watt panel outputs 5.8 amps max in June -August ( sun high in sky- 11am-2pm). In October - March output drops to around 60% - about 3.5 amps (sun low in the sky) because roof panels can't be tilted towards the sun.

One solar panel in winter will output approx 3-4  amps an hour NOT enough to run the Dometic and charge the battery. 

Reason to add one roof solar panel at time of order:

When Dometic is running and engine is off while out sightseeing, battery is being drained. Restarting and driving for less than 4 hours doesn't top off the battery. Owner will need to add one 100 watt panel on the roof to just run the fridge during the day (two panels to also charge the battery).

For new owners unfamiliar with the process

Dometic 65L compressor refrigerators

draw about 5 amps per hour. One 80 amp hour battery with 40 usable amp hours will run the fridge ONLY for 8 hours (40 divided by 5 = 8 hours)  Reason: 12 volt devices stop working when voltage drops below 12 volts - about 50% of the battery volume.

You will experience at least 11 hours of night darkness (unless you’re in Seattle or Alaska) so one battery is NOT enough capacity to last the night.

One battery example:

Sun sets at 7:30 pm… Fridge cycling on and off…At 3:30 am (8 hours later) fridge shuts off because the voltage is less than 12 volts. Sun rises at 7 am. 4.5 hours passes until sunrise solar begins charging  battery back to 12 + volts. After 2-4 more hours with all electrical devices off voltage has risen enough to turn fridge back on.. Fridge has been off 6 or more hours before cool down starts. How warm is the inside of fridge at start of cycle? What is the condition of your food?

And you won’t be drawing just 5 amps an hour because of the other devices you use. I figure average draw 6-7 amps per hour.

Except for the Dometic compressor fridge and heater and maybe the Fantastic Fan (in summer),  the rest of the devices will run for a portion of an hour a portion of the day. For instance unless you’re using the shower your only running the water pump maybe 5 minutes per day so the water pump  draws about half amp all day. Where with the heater you might be running it 4-6 hours per day for an average of 1 amp per hour (24 hour day).

Two Solar panel justification

I never thought I needed a roof solar panel because we try to park in the shade when camped...and then it is not as efficient. However when we are traveling with the refrigerator running and stop to sight-see the roof solar panel continues to run the fridge and charge the battery, so when we do stop to camp in the shade the batteries are full. Buy two panels.

Battery monitor with digital read-out tells owner percentage of full, and amp draw to determine if solar input is keeping up with device draw.

Since adding the Trimetric battery monitor AND the solar panel on the roof, we now know the condition of the battery all the time.

Sure Power

A component of the Auxiliary Battery system

How it works?

If the voltage draw from the camper drops below 12 volts….The "Sure Power" auto-disconnects the camper battery from the truck alternator to prevent the truck battery from being discharged by the camper devices (fridge). To electrically reconnect camper battery to truck alternator you need to plug into "shore power" or "solar power". Once voltage is above about 12.1 volts truck alternator starts charging  batteries again.

By the way the only method to determine if the “Sure Power” disconnects the camper batteries from the truck alternator is a digital battery monitor that shows voltage, amp draw or amp charging,  and a percentage of full.  New owner should  at least  add a digital voltage meter if the new camper didn't come with one as part of the solar controller.

If read out is below 12 volts you are probably disconnected. To verify - start truck engine. If voltage doesn't increase to at lest 12.9 after about 60 seconds you are disconnected. If a campsite with hookups is not available and you have no solar panel your food will probably spoil before you can find a 110 volt electrical source to turn the fridge back on and start charging the battery.

Hope this information helps. If I left something out please tell me and I will correct it. Questions please ask.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 01 May 2015 - 09:10 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

Right on RC-it took me almost 10 years  of trial and error, different suspensions, air bags,  different types of solar panels, and all the rest, to get my Granby set up with 2 Renoly 100w solar panals, two atm batterys, a 110 compressor frig/freezer and 30amp comptroller! They didn't have that set up when I bought my FWC in '05, so if I ever buy a new one, it will have that type of set-up. Yep, happy and content now, gee, wonder what I add next ^_^ ?

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#3 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

Amen Smoke. With my Engle top loader I only need one Renology on the roof and one camper battery. Now the system works great for us. :)

Jim

#4 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

On my system there is an audible 'click' when the separator kicks in and out when the batteries are low and the engine is running. Seems to take 6 hours or more driving at highway speeds to get past that stage and let the alternator charge full time. I found that out on a trip to the Everglades where the temp and humidity were both in the 80's 24/7.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#5 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:29 PM

Thanks Jim for your help and advice. I emailed Brenda and FWC is using a Zamp ZS-15AW controller and the cost is $105.00. Unfortunately, its too late for me to add the solar charger since I’ll have pay another 200$ change order fee. Base on my research, the controller install is pretty straight forward so I’ll install it myself. The only question I have cable management on the roof.

I like how JATAC installed their panel using right angle SAE connectors:

http://www.exploring...-the-jatac.html

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#6 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:30 PM

Glad it helped. You can always purchase a controller later when you wire up your system. When you do try to buy a system with a controller that has a built in battery monitor that gives you a digital read-out of voltage, amps in and out, and percentage of full value.

Lastly, wonder where he found the right-angle "SAE" 12-2 connectors (see picture):

8267745384_081c04a1f3.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_

We have been trying to buy them for months.

Jim

#7 NorCalSteve

NorCalSteve

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:27 PM

One thing that I think about when it comes to solar panels is, they can extend the life of your batteries because they reduce the depth of discharge. So, even if you don't have a system that uses lots of power, solar might still be worth considering.  Maybe just a smaller system.

Steve

Hawk on a 1994 Silverado 2WD pickup

#8 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:01 AM

Lastly, wonder where he found the right-angle "SAE" 12-2 connectors (see picture):

Tom Hanagan has been trying to find another source for those ever since, in lots of fewer than 10,000. 

NorCal Steve is spot on with his advice about discharge. We've lived exclusively on solar and wind power for 13 years now, and have learned the hard way that battery life is directly proportional to how well you keep them charged. If your system is not reaching 13.5 volts every day or close to it, you are compromising the life of your batteries.

#9 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:08 PM

I have made three upgrades and not installed solar, yet (80 litre Dometic) - 

1.) LiFePo4 battery ($900), which has lots of amps and does not mind discharging. 

2.) Upgraded FWC wiring to camper (truck side of Attwood plug) to 2 gauge - most more amps to battery - regularly charge ar 23 amps at idle. 

3.) Upgraded the solenoid to one that I can manually override and program for automatic use (lets me get charing quicker). 

Altogether Solar would have been a lot cheaper. I will still probably add solar someday, but for now it works. The LiFePo4 battery will hopefully last the life of the camper - the manufacturer claims 2000+ full discharge cycles but I never discharge below 30%. Time will tell. 

Since I plan to spend a lot of time at the beach (fog) and in the redwoods Solar would not give me much, but I agree it would help charge when driving. Plus I plan to use my roof. When I put in solar I will probably put 15-30 watts for the truck batteries and 50 watts for the camper.  

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

We have 2 batteries, 100w solar, and the 80 litre fridge.  When we were in the Smoky Mountains we had a lot of rain and camping in the shade.  We did drive to different hiking trails.  With the fridge and CPAP machine we never had an issue with battery levels.  We were very careful about use of lights, relying on our battery operated ones.  We also made limited use of the furnace, using it to warm things up in the morning.  I should probably knock on wood.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users