• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:55 PM

Last year I added a 160 Grape Solar panel to the top of my camper.  It's mounted on the Yakima tracks and is something that stays in that location...e.g. I don't ever take it off or adjust it.  It's plugged into the roof top plug.  The panel works flawlessly and provides enough power to run my refrig and fully charge the batteries during the day.  However, if the day is cloudy or there are trees nearby the panel sometimes won't fully charge the batteries for that day and will take them up to 85% to 90%.  I personally like to see them reach 100% each day.

I'm thinking I may incorporate a second, portable solar panel into my system for times when it's cloudy or there are trees shading the camper.  This portable unit would plug into the camper on the rear exterior wall when I wanted to use it.

From what I understand it looks like I will need a separate solar controller for this second portable panel since it'll be a different wattage then the roof top panel.  Can anyone confirm that this is true?  Is there anything else I need to consider before purchasing the second panel?  Wiring to the batteries?

I'm currently looking at buying one of the 100 watt flexible panels for this purpose since it'll be light weight and think I'd be able to store it under the mattress in the camper when not in use.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#2 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:33 AM

I have read that ideally you want to have the maximum power voltage (Vmp)  of the various panels to be close to each other, ie. within 10%.  The 100W Renogy panel Vmp is 17.7 volts - so compare that to the Vmp of your Grape Solar panel.  I think the closer the Vmp is to each other, the better.

You also want to be sure that the solar controller you have can handle the additional current from the portable panel if you wire the portable to your existing controller.  If your controller cannot handle the additional current/wattage, then you can either replace your controller with one with adequate capacity, or use a separate controller with your portable panel.

You should know where the rear wall panel plug wires go now.  On my factory installation, they were connected to the factory solar controller.  If your camper didn't come with the solar controller, then they should terminate somewhere.

In my personal example I have the factory Zamp 15A controller that they rate to 255 watts.  Connected to it I have a Zamp 100W panel with a Vmp of 17.9V and a Renogy 50W panel with a Vmp of 17.6V, and I use the Renogy 100W panel as a portable.  My rear wall plug is wired to the same controller.  So I have three different panels wired to the same controller.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#3 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:03 AM

Thanks Dave.  My current panel has a Vmp of 18.5 and the Renogy 100w flex panel has a Vmp of 17.7, which is within 10%.  

I'm fine with buying a second controller for the new panel if I had to.  Right now I run the SunSaver MPPT 15 amp controller and I'm thinking I'm getting close to maxing it out with the 160 watt and 100 watt panels connected to the same controller.  I've seen my 160 watt panel max out once at the rated current at Maximum Power Point (Impp) of 8.65 amps.  The Grape Solar flexible panel has a current at Maximum Power Point of 5.62 amps.  That is 14.27 amps at Maximum Power Point, which is close to the point of my controller's rated 15 amps, but in reality how often will both panels max out?  I'm betting that both panels combined will have an average max of around 10-12 amps.  Plus I'd only be running both panels if I had to and not on a regular basis.  

The rear wall plug wires currently terminate in the battery box so wiring it will be pretty easy.  I just need to figure out if I want to go with a separate controller or wire both panels to the same controller.

#4 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

I agree with DesertDave's analysis. Your setup with the additional panel to the same controller should work fine. I have the same Morningstar with a roof top 150 w Grape Solar and a Renogy 100w flexible panel. I too plug in the flexible panel when the truck is in the shade. Perfect combination. I have not exceeded the SunSaver MPPT 15 amp limit. Closes I've observed is around 12.5 amps. Like you, I only plug in when necessary. 

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:11 PM

Last year I added a 160 Grape Solar panel to the top of my camper.  It's mounted on the Yakima tracks and is something that stays in that location...e.g. I don't ever take it off or adjust it.  It's plugged into the roof top plug.  The panel works flawlessly and provides enough power to run my refrig and fully charge the batteries during the day.  However, if the day is cloudy or there are trees nearby the panel sometimes won't fully charge the batteries for that day and will take them up to 85% to 90%.  I personally like to see them reach 100% each day.

Drawing down to 80% is the bread and butter of deep cycle batteries, they have LONG life cycle still at that range.  Going down towards 50% starts reducing the life cycles but in the realm of recreational usage is still not a major concern.  Going lower can start to factor in a bit.

My weekend warrior mindset for solar/battery sizing was if the solar keeps things above 80% for the duration of a weekend trip and/or keeps them over 50% for something like a week long boondock then I think I'm covered good enough.  If I'm out somewhere with absolute crap weather I could always fire up the truck for a bit to throw a charge back into them.

Just something to keep in mind before more $$$/gear/weight comes into the equation.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#6 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:26 PM

I agree with DesertDave's analysis. Your setup with the additional panel to the same controller should work fine. I have the same Morningstar with a roof top 150 w Grape Solar and a Renogy 100w flexible panel. I too plug in the flexible panel when the truck is in the shade. Perfect combination. I have not exceeded the SunSaver MPPT 15 amp limit. Closes I've observed is around 12.5 amps. Like you, I only plug in when necessary. 

It sounds like you're doing exactly what I'm hoping to do.  Thanks for the information.  When you deploy the Renogy panel where do you put it?  Do you have a stand for it or do you simply lay it somewhere?  For me I may need to lay it out while I'm away from camp for 3-4 hours and I'm afraid the wind could blow it around.  I'm considering designing a method to attach it to a 16 foot telescopic pole and attach the pole to the jack brackets.  This would get it above the dense pinyon and cedars trees where I hunt and would allow me to rotate it.  The other idea was to put it in the windshield of the truck while I'm gone, but I'd have to see how it worked in this location.  I only need this second panel for 2-4 hours and I think inside of the windshield could work well.  A couple of suction cups could hold it in place.

Do you have a picture of the wiring to your controller?  I'd be curious to see how you wired both panels to the controller.  Did you pigtail off the controller to the panel wires?

#7 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

Drawing down to 80% is the bread and butter of deep cycle batteries, they have LONG life cycle still at that range.  Going down towards 50% starts reducing the life cycles but in the realm of recreational usage is still not a major concern.  Going lower can start to factor in a bit.

My weekend warrior mindset for solar/battery sizing was if the solar keeps things above 80% for the duration of a weekend trip and/or keeps them over 50% for something like a week long boondock then I think I'm covered good enough.  If I'm out somewhere with absolute crap weather I could always fire up the truck for a bit to throw a charge back into them.

Just something to keep in mind before more $$$/gear/weight comes into the equation.

Pods,  Have you tried to charge a dual battery system by running the vehicle?  I have not had good luck with that.  From what I can tell you're not going to add much to the batteries unless you are going to be doing a 3+ hour drive.  From what I've seen, idling the truck for 30 minutes adds a tiny bit more power and probably enough to run my refrig for 15 minutes!

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the information.  When you deploy the Renogy panel where do you put it?  Do you have a stand for it or do you simply lay it somewhere?  For me I may need to lay it out while I'm away from camp for 3-4 hours and I'm afraid the wind could blow it around.  ...   I only need this second panel for 2-4 hours and I think inside of the windshield could work well.  A couple of suction cups could hold it in place.

I store my Renogy 100 watt bendable panel between the mattress and sleeping bag while the top is down and inside the cab if not deployed. I deploy the panel early in the morning while getting breakfast and before going out for the day.  I found a folding aluminum camp table for about 25 bucks and use it with an a small cooler for ballast and support,

I place the panel in the morning sun and get a couple of hours of nearly full output while the roof mounted 100 watt factory is putting out < half power. I have about 20 ft of wire so that I can usually get the panel in full sun. The panel fits in the first slot on table and the cooler keeps it at a good angle. Just align the shadows of the front legs to fall on the shadows of the rear legs and it faces square to the sun. 

In that 2 hours, I am able to restore about 15-18 amp hours of energy.  Running the truck headed to the day's destination and the roof mounted panel finish the job.

Paul

Portable Panel set up Front view
Portable Panel set up side view
Folding aluminum camp table

I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

It looks like the Morningstar SS-MPPT-15L can accept more than 200 watts, but cuts off the usable power at the 200 watt level.  According to their documents, an array larger than 200 watts connected to the SS-MPPT-15L is actually the better way to go, but there is a cost-benefit in play there too.

http://www.morningst...logy-Primer.pdf

Nominal Maximum Input Power* 

12 Volt 200 Watts 

24 Volt 400 Watts

* These power levels refer to the maximum wattage the SS-MPPT-15L can process at a certain system voltage. Higher power arrays can be used without damaging the controller, but array cost-benefit will be reduced at power levels much beyond the nominal ratings.

Morningstar’s TriStar MPPT™ & SunSaver MPPT controllers are the only controllers that will always limit the output current regardless of input power levels. Morningstar’s patented TrakStar Technology is capable of limiting the output current, while other manufacturers’ MPPT controllers will operate above their maximum current ratings at higher power levels. Morningstar’s MPPT controllers can operate with an oversized array that is several times larger than the maximum Nominal Solar PV ratings, while still limiting the maximum battery current to the controller’s maximum current rating. Many other MPPT controllers on the market cannot react quickly enough for fast changes in solar conditions. Even at the published maximum power levels, these controllers are known to exceed their maximum output current ratings and can trip the overcurrent protection fault shutting off the controller during high power condition

Q2. Can I exceed the nominal wattage ratings of MPPT controllers? Will it void the warranty? You can size Morningstar’s MPPT controllers well above the Maximum Nominal Solar PV Input rating without damaging the controller and without the charging current exceeding the maximum output current rating. The controller can limit output current and will run at 100% of rated current output and not higher. The controller was designed with this power-shaving capability and when oversized it does not void the warranty.

Q5. Can I use a 240 Watt (60 Cell / Vmp≅ 30V) PV module with a SunSaver MPPT™ controller? Yes. Even though the SunSaver MPPT™ controller in a 12V system is nominally rated for a 200W PV array, you can use a larger PV module e.g. a 240W PV module.  For 12V systems the SunSaver MPPT controller is an acceptable option due to its ability to convert the module voltage down and charge a 12V battery very effectively. (Fact: all Morningstar MPPT controllers are buck converters—they can convert voltage down but not up, which is known as a boost converter. For this reason, the Vmp of the module must be above the battery voltage at all times or charging will cease).

This graph illustrates the output power levels of a SunSaver MPPT controller—comparing a 200W module to a 240W module—operating on a clear & sunny day at STC maximum power (Pmp).  Though the power being delivered to the battery is limited to 200W and the red area at the top of the production curve is lost, the larger module is harvesting more energy, as shown in green.  The larger module will provide better production with no power-shaving early and late in the day as compared to a smaller module.  In this case almost twice as much energy is gained (green area) than lost (red area) with 12.5% more energy available to charge the batteries than the 200W module.

On cloudy (or intermittent sunny) days there will be little or no power-shaving and the extra power will serve the battery well with more energy harvest. This graph uses real array data and is scaled to a 200W module and a 240W module.  On this day there is < 1% loss due to power-shaving (energy above the red line), so more than 95% of the excess power over 200W can be utilized for charging.  On clear days this loss of power is likely not to be missed so much.  One exception to note is where the power-shaving energy loss could be more of a factor—in colder climates with winter tilt. o In these conditions (shorter days, colder temperatures and okay ≈90° incidence angles) the array will operate above STC Max. o Power Levels and the loss of power could have a bigger impact during the time of the year when it is most needed.  Also, to avoid unnecessary stress on the controller’s electronic components, it is recommended that when the controller is installed in a sustained warm temperature climate, the controller not operate at full power, close to its maximum ambient temperature, for prolonged periods of time.

Edited by Bwht4x4, 02 April 2015 - 05:16 PM.

#10 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:56 PM

It sounds like you're doing exactly what I'm hoping to do.  Thanks for the information.  When you deploy the Renogy panel where do you put it?  Do you have a stand for it or do you simply lay it somewhere?  For me I may need to lay it out while I'm away from camp for 3-4 hours and I'm afraid the wind could blow it around.  I'm considering designing a method to attach it to a 16 foot telescopic pole and attach the pole to the jack brackets.  This would get it above the dense pinyon and cedars trees where I hunt and would allow me to rotate it.  The other idea was to put it in the windshield of the truck while I'm gone, but I'd have to see how it worked in this location.  I only need this second panel for 2-4 hours and I think inside of the windshield could work well.  A couple of suction cups could hold it in place.

Do you have a picture of the wiring to your controller?  I'd be curious to see how you wired both panels to the controller.  Did you pigtail off the controller to the panel wires?

The second set of wires from the camper back plug, simply connects to the same terminals on the MPPT SunSaver like the roof top panel. Essentially in parallel.

As for placement of the movable panel, I just put it wherever the sun is shining. I like the front windshield if thats where the sun is shining. I mounted the movable panel on a foam core insulation material from Home Depot to keep it from getting the edges damaged. Cutting the foam a little larger than the panel, I then used aluminum tape to secure the edges.

Renogy panel
back of Renogy panel

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users