• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

None of my existing solar panel plugs seem to fit the FWC Hawk's receptacles. I am about to order the flex panels from Renogy and their plugs look the same as the ones i already have on my rigid panels. Is there a special adapter I need to order from somewhere? Thanks
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#2 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

You should have received an 18" or so pig tail with the mating connector to the solar plug in the camper. You will need to get some MC-4 connectors (one of each male and female for positive and negative) and attach these to the bare wire ends of this pig tail. Plug these into the matching connectors of the panel, plug the pig tail into the camper and then go down and make double sure you get the polarities correct before connecting the internal wire from the solar plug to your charge controller.

Alternatively, you can void the warranty on your panel by cutting off the MC 4 connectors on the panel and then butt-splice, wire nut or solder the bare wires together. Wrap them up to protect the joint from the elements and away you go. I have had some flakiness with my MC-4 connectors from vibration I suspect and am planning retrofitting along this path.

If you didn't receive the pig tail, then maybe a call to FWC will get one in your mailbox.

Alan

#3 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

The pig-tail should be in the pouch with the manuals, at least that's where mine was.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:50 PM

An alternative that some have done is to purchase an extension cable from Renogy With one male and one female end, cut it in half and connect the bare wires to the bare wires of the FWC supplied SAE pigtail. You can use water proof shrink tube butt connectors or some other type. This way you don't have to invest in tools or learn how to install the MC4 connectors if you haven't done that before.

Choose an extension cable length that allows you to position the panel where you want it.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:14 AM

First thing I did was hack those MC4 connectors off. Way too thick to poke through the camper. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 SB_Surf

SB_Surf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

I too could not find the mating RA SAE plug connector. I also wasn't excited about the installed roof SAE connector's ability to collect water around the two connector contacts.

So, I ditched the SAE connectorization and removed the existing roof flanged SAE jack connector. I installed an IP65 junction box in its place using the existing screw hole pattern. Heyco wiring glands were used for a waterproof wire entry into the junction box. The existing FWC roof wiring was long enough to be pulled out of the roof to terminate to the solar panel wiring in the junctuion box.

This junction box now supports two 100W Renogy flex solar panels. If we decide to add another panel to the roof, I will probably add another junction box to complete the wiring within the roof rather than routing the wiring on the ext roof surface.

The junction (or project) box measures 2.52Lx2.28Wx1.38H inch and is lower profile than the roof vents.

DSCF0441.jpg DSCF0446.jpg DSCF0445.jpg

2018 Sprinter, 2013 FWC Fleet on 2010 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed

#7 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

I too could not find the mating RA SAE plug connector. I also wasn't excited about the installed roof SAE connector's ability to collect water around the two connector contacts.

So, I ditched the SAE connectorization and removed the existing roof flanged SAE jack connector. I installed an IP65 junction box in its place using the existing screw hole pattern. Heyco wiring glands were used for a waterproof wire entry into the junction box. The existing FWC roof wiring was long enough to be pulled out of the roof to terminate to the solar panel wiring in the junctuion box.

This junction box now supports two 100W Renogy flex solar panels. If we decide to add another panel to the roof, I will probably add another junction box to complete the wiring within the roof rather than routing the wiring on the ext roof surface.

The junction (or project) box measures 2.52Lx2.28Wx1.38H inch and is lower profile than the roof vents.

attachicon.gifDSCF0441.jpgattachicon.gifDSCF0446.jpgattachicon.gifDSCF0445.jpg

Very nice job SB_Surf! Where can I find these parts?

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#8 SB_Surf

SB_Surf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

I bought all at Amazon:

Junction box, Bud Industries #PN-1320

Wire gland, Heyco #M3444 with #3165 nut

I used chaulking, GE Supreme Silicon Extra Flex

2018 Sprinter, 2013 FWC Fleet on 2010 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed

#9 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

Here's a shot of my SAE connectors, I believe installed in July 2004 by FWC. They are quite corroded, and it's pretty obvious water has gotten into them. I've been thinking about what to do with them, I think SB_Surf hit the nail on the head here with his solution. If you have these connectors on your roof, I would at least remove the plugs and coat them with a silicon dielectric grease to keep the water out!

P1010750r.jpg

--

Pat

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#10 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

Has anyone used an SAE Y cable to add a second solar panel to the roof and use the existing roof plug? I have the FWC rooftop 100w and am thinking of adding another panel to the roof (probably Renology).

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users