Photo
- - - - -

Small campgrounds and dispersed camping on Beartooth Highway?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:43 PM

In late July I'm planning a trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone and I'd like to spend much of the time camping outside the ultra-busy parks.  Normally I would just show up and take my chances but this trip I'll be travelling with a 7yr old and his mom so I want to do a bit more advanced planning.

Who has suggestions about small National Forest/BLM CGs and dispersed camping east of the Grand Teton NP?  East of Yellowstone? What about along the Beartooth Highway north of Yellowstone?

Thanks in advance.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,361 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

Doug, take a look at the Turpin Meadows area east of Teton and south of Yellowstone. We spent one night in the small campground last summer. There were a few dispersed areas also.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

That looks like winner 3pin!  Lightly used and only 15 miles from the park entrance.  Thanks for the tip!

Stew

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,302 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:04 PM

Stew have you looked into the camp sites on Grassy Lake Rd?

It's in the area between Yellowstone and Teton, at the Flag Ranch area.

Many camp sites some along the Snake River. They used to be free but now there is a minimum charge and you have to get camp "pass" before you camp.

The info is on the Teton park site.

Also in the area east of the big Gros Ventre campground near Slide Lake,Atherton CG.

Several years ago we stopped into several campgrounds in the Beartooth area very nice but don't know about camper restrictions.

If you have never been to Pebble Creek,Slough Creek in Yellowstone they are nice and quiet,plus there are a lot of animals there.

But they are first come first serve.

Usually what we do is reserve a spot at Madison CG than head out early in the morning and can usually find a spot at one of them.

Have fun camping.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the info, Frank!  I'll check them out.  

Stew

#6 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:03 AM

Lots of 4wd roads leading off of the Beartooth.

I camped down this trail near the top on the south side of the pass.

Lots of griz in the area.

aGhpKr6.jpg

jhupYRl.jpg

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#7 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:30 AM

Thanks Rotti!  Here is a map of where FR149 heads south from Beartooth Highway.  Wow, looks like great, open tundra at almost 10k feet.  How far do you go out FR149 to camp?  Or will anyplace out of sight of the highway do?  What are "food regulations" in that country and are our pop-ups safe from the griz?  Not sure I want to trust bear spray . . . 

Attached Thumbnails

• Bear01.jpg

Stew

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:05 PM

Stew,  looks like a great trip.  I will be looking for feedback.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#9 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

Thanks Rotti!  Here is a map of where FR149 heads south from Beartooth Highway.  Wow, looks like great, open tundra at almost 10k feet.  How far do you go out FR149 to camp?  Or will anyplace out of sight of the highway do?  What are "food regulations" in that country and are our pop-ups safe from the griz?  Not sure I want to trust bear spray . . . 

I probably went 5 or 6 miles from the highway down closer to one of the lakes. It is a rough 4wd road after about two miles......a beautiful area. Dress warm as it can snow anytime of the year up there. There is also a campground on the west side of the highway, Island in the Sky I believe, which is also a great spot. Take a drive in just for the view.

Just common sense as far as food goes....don't leave anything sitting out and maybe no bacon? :(

My Hawk hard side is 8' off the ground so I'm comfortable (as is the Forest Service) that any griz is going to have a problem getting in. I do sleep better with a shotgun loaded with buckshot though. Never had a problem with bears though....highway accidents are a much bigger concern.

This sign was up after one or two tenters were killed back in 2010. I was there soon after and FWC were allowed due to the heigth of the hard side. Pop up trailers were not due to the low height of the hardside. Seems to me the minimum was 5 or 6'. 

kUK3mb2.jpg

Anyway don't worry about bears, I feel lucky just to see them once and awhile.

A parting shot of the bear tooth:

Z3F1GbB.jpg

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

When I was in the same area last June all the side roads in the very-cool highest areas of the Beartooth, that part just south of the MT border, were blocked by snow.  So I camped down off the north side of the plateau along Rock Creek, where there are official campgrounds as well as lots of dispersed spots.

I REALLY wanted to camp high, but couldn't at that time.

Every campground I was in in WY, MT, ID for that trip all had bear regulations...which I more-or-less followed where possible.  As far as "are our pop-ups safe?:  Bears can tear the doors off cars -- even relatively puny black bears in Yosemite Valley have done this -- so no camping rig is guaranteed safe.  But I didn't worry about it.  I just made sure I didn't leave food outside the camper and I put my garbage sack in the cab of the truck at night. 

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users