• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 compactcamping

compactcamping

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

Since most folks are 4WD pickup wanders I thought I'd show you the AWD way to wander. My main rig is a '06 Subaru wagon; I love it and it's hard to beat getting 24-29 mpg while exploring. Granted it does have it's limitations.

These are from a WA trip just before the snows hit last year. We went from Snoqualmie pass on I-90, cross-country over Stampede pass and came out at Green Water on 410. This was a group of six Subarus. We had a great camping spot on top of a peak, 360 degree views and a great view of Mtn. Rainier.

On this trip I rooftopped my tent and left the trailer at home. Without a low-range it's tough to pull a trailer though this terrain.

Attached Thumbnails

• subby-wtent-rainier3.jpg
  • subbies-in-the-woods-subhuman.jpg
  • subbies-rainier-in-back-war-jeeper.jpg

Camping the "Compact Way"

#2 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

compact,
Love the Subaru pics, they are great cars. My wife is on her second one, an '02 Outback and that is a fantastic road car, digs in on powered corners and like you say gets great mileage. Keep posting those great pics.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#3 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:34 PM

A late welcome to forum.we love our fwc/taco,but also like to bike camp,motorcycle camp,kayak camp.Do not back pack anymore as we admit that we are past the age to act as a pack animal!Also it always seems that which ever way you travel you will always fill up what ever you use for transportation! And yes we do need pictures!(i just finished installing a trailer hitch and wiring for our 03 5speed echo),with plans to buy/build motorcycle type tent trailer such as you have,will probably build as i have my own ideas as to how one should be built!)
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010166 (Medium).jpg

#4 compactcamping

compactcamping

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

I love my Subaru, but I do miss not having a low-range.

Les, if you do go the home-built route, I'd be interested in seeing your ideas. I'm always up for a good discussion on lightweight camping trailer design and building.
Camping the "Compact Way"

#5 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:37 AM

Great shots. Looks like a lot of fun!!!
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users