• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

The wife, mutt and I spent 4/18-4/26 traveling to and from Toroweap in the AZ Strip.  Spent 2 days driving to St George where we topped up on water and fuel and visited the BLM office for info and camping permits for Toroweap. We picked up the BLM Arizona Strip Visitor Map which is highly detailed and a must have for exploring the area.

Hit the dirt at Colorado City and headed south.  Our timing was perfect for wildflowers, everything was in bloom, creosote, yuccas, cactus, mallow etc.  Spent 2 nights at the primitive campsite at Toroweap with only a few other campers, very quiet and awesome views.  The views from Toroweap point itself are incredible, you are 3000 feet above the Colorado river at the top of a shear cliff.  We saw massive motor rafts on the river which looked like tiny dots from the top.  Downstream you can see Lava Rapids which is one of the biggest in the Grand Canyon.  The rapids were formed when lava flows dammed the river and then the river cut through them again.

From Toroweap we headed back north a ways and then west to Mt Trumball where there is a historic schoolhouse.  On the way we stopped at the Nampaweap Petroglyph site and hiked in.  We turned south at Mt Trumball and went to Whitmore point and camped right on the edge of the cliff.  More awesome views and total solitude.  Worked our way NW on roads that varied from good dirt to 4w low creeping.  Finally came out near Mesquite and headed toward home.  Camped outside Beatty NV at a spot we've seen tortoises before and saw one just 20 yards from camp.

All in all an awesome trip.  Anyone who's going to be in the St George UT area should take the time and effort to at least see Toroweap.  Pictures of the view are awesome but don't compare to actually dangling your legs off the cliff and seeing it for yourself.

Pica at:  https://toroweapapri....com/pictures/8

Edited by BillM, 30 April 2015 - 01:44 AM.

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#2 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

Man, does that water look inviting?  Were you able to take a dip in it?

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#3 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:33 PM

At Toroweap there is a long steep trail that goes down to Lava Rapids, didn't make the hike.  Ditto at Whitmore but the trail is shorter and easier.  Fortunately temps were moderate so a cold beer and shade sufficed.

Billm

#4 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

Nice pics of a special area. Thanks for sharing!

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

BillM, that was very enjoyable! Thanks for sharing! We need to get back there sometime soon. Also, it's more of a "route" down to Lava Falls. I wouldn't call it a trail and the NPS does what it can to discourage use. If you're curious, you can find it on our blog - trip to the north rim back in 2011. It is also good that you are required to reserve a campsite in advance at Tuweap. Nice to know you have a spot after making the long drive out there!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 NoPlanMan

NoPlanMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

Any BASE jumpers. I don't base jump, but the falloff from the the top looked like a perfect place,

#7 NoPlanMan

NoPlanMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

Very nice pix. Thank you for the time to post,. It is appreciated.

#8 mitch h

mitch h

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Locationbrazil,in.

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

That is one of our planned stops in Sept. Thanks for the trip report. mitch

#9 Hardcastle

Hardcastle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:00 PM

I'm headed to the Toroweap area tonight. Hopefully i'm not too late and everything is still blooming.

2008 Tundra TRD Crew Cab & Four Wheel Camper Hawk

#10 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

Hardcastle,

I'm sure you'll see lots of flowers.  FYI the road to Toroweap from Colorado City is in great shape, recently graded.  Road to Whitmore is graded down to the Bar10.  Have fun!

Billm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grand canyon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users