- - - - -

The Moon Truck

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#41 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:39 AM

Today this pickup saw the light of day for the 1st time in well over a year. I pulled it out of the garage with the vintage Cub Cadet.
runnin%20002%20Small_zps7lkyhw19.jpg

runnin%20001%20Small_zpsmoankyyo.jpg

My bud Mario was here as was my BIL. It was an interesting day. As usual there were bugs to be worked out. 1st was a no start which had several reasons. So I did a jumper test at the fuel pump relay and decided the fuel was way old so we used the fuel pump to pump it into a storage tank. There wasn't much left in it and the newest was 3+ years old. So we drained the tank(fuel was rusty colored). In the process I discovered the rubber fuel line at the tank to fuel filter was leaking. Didn't take long to realize this was the original line and fuel filter from '88! :shock:  The line was falling apart. So then a run to the parts store for a fuel filter and a couple of cans of fresh gas. While there an old coworker on his way home from work saw Red Beans out front and stopped. We had a nice quick visit.

Let me tell you the fuel line at the tank was never intended to be changed with the tank in the truck. It was a bear and required one hand each from 2 people from opposite sides to get it clamped. So new line, new filter, we tried to start it again and didn't take much to realize I had the distributor off by one tooth as usual.  I do this every time. Did I mention that's not real easy to get to either. At this point it would do you folks well to visualize The 3 Stooges. Once we got that straightened out she started fine almost! Massive vacuum leak. Huge hiss and engine didn't want to idle at all. We checked a couple of normal things. Then my BIL said, What's that hole for? Is something supposed to be there?" It seems that after sand blasting the upper plenum I had removed a big(19 mm wrench) plug from the plenum to clean it. Bear in mind I had never touched this plug on any 2.6 in all these years. So it never occurred to me to replace it.  :roll:  :lol:  :lol: So I checked a spare plenum and there it was. I pulled it and put it in and problem solved.   

Set the timing close enough and pulled the throttle cable tight and let her run for about 35 minutes between 1,500 + 2,200 rpm to break in the cam. She ran real good and very smooth. The machine shop and original builder must have spent some time on balancing. The engine ran very still in the mounts. It also had amazing oil pressure and ran very cool. Happy to report the fan clutch was noticeable when it kicked in. Which was not often. And no white smoke from the exhaust. Hot Damn! :D

So after the break in I slowed it back down and lubed the linkages at the throttle body. Then did a quick drive down our private road and back. Truck felt nice. So a bit more fine tuning to timing and readjust the valves again and change the oil. And the engine should be settled. Tomorrow I go to the MVA and get her legal.

Then soon the bed comes off and the rest of the frame gets painted and I'll probably bend new hard lines front to rear for fuel, return, vent, and brakes. Then comes the new springs.

It's been a long time getting to this point. I hope things continue to roll well!

#42 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:00 AM

It's beautiful.

Mike

#43 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:32 AM

It runs!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#44 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:41 AM

And seems to run well! Still lots to do! But that is a big weight gone.

#45 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:11 PM

Congrats, nice work!

I am haunted by waters

#46 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

Woohoo! Good work. I bet it's a great feeling. I remember in my youth an experience with getting the distributor back in 180 degrees off. Boy what a commotion when we tried to start it up again! Luckily didn't break anything. Learning experience for sure. Fun times. I'm impressed with your project. Have fun doing the finishing touches and enjoy it when it all comes back together.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#47 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

Thanks folks. Got it leagal and insured today. Another big step done. Now I can drive it a little and work a little as it goes.

#48 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:16 AM

Alrighty then. Today I spent some time getting the ignition timing on the money. The I went for a drive. Once back home I washed her for the 1st time in at least a couple of years. Of course this verified that the windshield leaks like a fishnet. But no leaks from the sun roof. I'll probably get the windshield addressed next week. After the wash I went for another drive and filled up the gas cans and put 5 gallons in the tank.

The day we started the engine I pumped the tank dry. Then added 5 gallons of fresh gas from a can. We then ran the engine for 30-45 minutes to break it in. Early today I added 2 gals more from a can. Then added 5 gal tonight. Still at only a little over 1/4 tank. That tells me this has the long bed tank. (19+ gallons) I had been told the Spacer's use the short bed 13 gallon tank but I don't think so.

Anyway over 20 miles on her now.
After a much need bath. My BIL said , "It looked like it had been stored in a barn for years.". Well sorta!
finaly%20005%20Small_zpsyv0i3cib.jpg

finaly%20004%20Small_zpstbbb9nkv.jpg

finaly2000320Small_zpstmdfuyl3.jpg

finaly%20002%20Small_zpsneotosjd.jpg

finaly2000120Small_zpsx7badj37.jpg

Not too bad for an almost 30 year old scratched to Hades truck! :D

She drove nice. But so different from Red Beans. I could feel the longer wheel base. The bounce of the wheels felt busy compared to the Trooper with 32's. She rode very nice but still had a truck feel. Pretty quiet with the windows open compared to Red Beans. And OMG this truck is geared so high!!!! 4.30:1. with tires that are 2" over stock size. Compared to Red Beans there is no engine braking at all. When I lift my foot in Red Beans with 4.77:1 gears it's like stepping on the brake. This truck just keeps gliding along. But I was real surprised that it climbed all the hills around here in 3rd gear at way below the powerband sweet spot of the Calmini cam. Impressive indeed. On a flat stretch the Calmini rolls out. Above 3k it really pulls and this is with stock exhaust. I did a quick run on a back road to about 65mph in 3rd gear and was only spinning around 4,200 rpm with lots of room to go! :shock:  :D

This am I got an answer to my request from 4Wheelcampers. A written document on how to mount the camper and place the eye bolt's in the bed. And a few more things like hooking up the electric to the charging system. So next step will be to mount the camper and see how it does. Then make decisions on what springs ect.

Edited by Squatch, 16 July 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#49 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:33 AM

And tonight's crappy pics.
camper%20001%20Small_zpsxz4vjvwq.jpg

camper%20002%20Small_zpsz2lfq7vd.jpg

Got it loaded but not properly positioned in the truck. So I was able to hook up the front tie downs from outside the camper. This got me to the top of the hill and to my BIL's paved drive. We then jacked it up again and got it sitting where it should. Unfortunately this makes it physically impossible for me to get my arm where I need to for the front turnbuckles. (I'll explain better with pics later) But see these little doors on the bottom. Those are the access hatches for the tie downs in the bed.
c09_zpsrruc8jil.jpg

009%20Small_zpsogasc8yl.jpg

They front ones open into the big wheel wells the Spacer has. So I'll order 2 more access doors from 4WC and use a hole saw to get access where I need it.

BB001Small.jpg

The good news is the camper fits great on the truck. I'm going to trim about an inch off these rubber dock bumpers. And then I can get the camper a little tighter to the cab and still not have to worry about scuffing the front. I will still have 3/4" to the front rail from the camper. When that is done it should be just even with the bumper in the back with the tailgate off.

010%20Small_zpsjetwbxwp.jpg

The stock springs are holding it surprisingly well. But I didn't really take it out of the drive yet to drive it. But I have the option of both a set of slightly heavier Trooper springs or the OME 029's. The engine still has a bit of a miss. I think I need to clean the tank and send the injectors out for a clean and flow match. I'll try to get some better pics this weekend.

Did I mention that not only can I get the camper in the garage I can open it. And even if I lift a couple of inches it still shouldn't be a problem.
camper%20004%20Small_zpsme00jpog.jpg

Still have room to open the sunroof.
camper%20003%20Small_zpsu3krwxft.jpg

Little by little it's getting there.

Edited by Squatch, 18 July 2015 - 03:46 AM.

#50 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:08 AM

Nice fit! I need to remove the accessory rail in the front of my bed and trim down the rubber bumper as well. I could move my fleet forward at least a full inch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users