My 2013 Hawk Solar Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:35 PM

Been meaning to post this for a few weeks but wanted to get some good real world data before reporting. After reading about some of the other upgrades going on out there I decided to do mine as well. I started with the system that originally came with my 2013 Hawk: 95 watt panel and a Morningstar SS-10L-12V controller. Decided to add two Renogy 100 watt bendable panels and update the controller as required. I also wanted to add a Trimetric 2030 RV battery monitor. I originally was going to go for a Morningstar SS-20L-12V controller but after doing a little research found that the Trimetric SC 2030 controller would be perfect as when connected to the 2030 RV monitor gives you lots of information plus many battery charging options. 

Started by gluing down the 2 Renogy panels using 3M Marine adhesive and weighing them down with patio stones for a couple days. Used some MC4 adapter cable adapters to tie the panels together and used the stock SAE roof connector and jack to plug into the existing camper wiring. I used some 3M doubleback tape and some Secure TM wire clamps to secure the wiring. Here's some pictures of the roof :

P1010003%202.jpg

P1010008.jpg

The installation of the Trimetric controller and battery monitor went well but took a little time. Here's some pictures:

P1010007.jpg

P1010002.jpg

I finally got a chance to see what it could do last week as I was up at the Sunrise area of Mount Rainier about noon last week. It was perfectly clear and I was getting a high of about 14.6 amps of solar charging on the Trimetric. Not bad. I did also had another problem as I discovered that my power connector on my truck bed was corroded and shorted out due to all the moisture around here. Had to change that out as well. Good project for me and I thank all the others who gave out all the info on their solar system installations before me as It made my project go so much smoother.

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2013 FWC Hawk

#2 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:12 AM

Excellent work. I love your setup!

I think it should serve you well.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#3 BlueRidge

BlueRidge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

Spitfire,

Can you recommend a solar installer in WA or OR that installs Bogart Engineering parts?   I'm reading the SC2030 and 2030RV battery monitor work well together.

Thanks

#4 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:28 PM

Spitfire,

Can you recommend a solar installer in WA or OR that installs Bogart Engineering parts?   I'm reading the SC2030 and 2030RV battery monitor work well together.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't. 

#5 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:36 PM

It's interesting to see how the battery charges and discharges using the Trimetric. Discharging is basically linear but charging is not . You can really see the charging difference when the batteries are discharged and when it's getting close to 100%. It can take a while to get that last few percent. It's also interesting to see the amps used for each device. As expected the refrigerator (Dometic CR-1110) pulls the most amps. I was pleasantly surprised that my wife's CPAP didn't pull nearly as much as I though it would going by the RESMED battery use documentation.

As I discovered before, solar doesn't work too well in the shade so even adding all this extra solar won't solve all my charging problems but when I do get some good sun, I'll have the extra charging capability. 

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

Very nice installation.

Besides shadows (simply covering one cell is significnat degradaton), angle off the sun's axis degrades charging.  But, having 3 panels as you do must really help!

Edited by Advmoto18, 15 June 2015 - 03:41 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:15 AM

Been meaning to post this for a few weeks but wanted to get some good real world data before reporting. After reading about some of the other upgrades going on out there I decided to do mine as well. I started with the system that originally came with my 2013 Hawk: 95 watt panel and a Morningstar SS-10L-12V controller. Decided to add two Renogy 100 watt bendable panels and update the controller as required. I also wanted to add a Trimetric 2030 RV battery monitor. I originally was going to go for a Morningstar SS-20L-12V controller but after doing a little research found that the Trimetric SC 2030 controller would be perfect as when connected to the 2030 RV monitor gives you lots of information plus many battery charging options. 

Started by gluing down the 2 Renogy panels using 3M Marine adhesive and weighing them down with patio stones for a couple days. Used some MC4 adapter cable adapters to tie the panels together and used the stock SAE roof connector and jack to plug into the existing camper wiring. I used some 3M doubleback tape and some Secure TM wire clamps to secure the wiring. Here's some pictures of the roof :

Clean looking setup. 

Question on gluing the panels down. I recently got one of the Renogy 100 w panels at a price too good to pass up and if the temperature ever drops below a zillion degrees I want to attach it to my rig (2015 Hawk with Rails) using the 3M marine adhesive. Seems like some people recommend securing only the edges of the panel so the roof can "flex" under the panel - while other say glue the entire panel down. Which route did you follow and are you happy with the results? 

Thanks 

CB. 

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:08 AM

One in each state listed on Bogart Engineering site.
http://www.bogarteng.../where-buy#west

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

Clean looking setup. 

Question on gluing the panels down. I recently got one of the Renogy 100 w panels at a price too good to pass up and if the temperature ever drops below a zillion degrees I want to attach it to my rig (2015 Hawk with Rails) using the 3M marine adhesive. Seems like some people recommend securing only the edges of the panel so the roof can "flex" under the panel - while other say glue the entire panel down. Which route did you follow and are you happy with the results? 

Thanks 

CB. 

I basically glued the whole panel down using the entire tube of adhesive. Happy so far.

#10 rustytinbender

rustytinbender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:04 AM

To answer Spitfires question, I recently fastened 2 panels to the roof with silicone caulk and double face tape (to hold things until the silicone dries), a few spots in the middle and full bead on the perimeter. I am a sheet metal worker and this is the method we use to fasten quite a few heavy items on walls of clean rooms where you can't use fasteners.  In hindsight I probably used too much and will regret it when I have to remove them, it doesn't take as much as you think. Hope this info helps2015-07-04 10.25.10.jpg  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users