3 replies to this topic

#1 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:52 PM

Just thought I'd post a photo of what a largish folding bike looks like in my truck's extended cab (with the truck's seat removed).

This one is a full-size mountain bike, a Montague.   I had originally bought it for my camper van (it fits nicely under the bed) and thought it would be too big for the truck cab.  But it worked out well on a recent month-long trip.

BikeinTruck.jpg

The seat does stick up out of the storage bag.  The stock one can be convinced to go into the storage bag.  This one is an aftermarket one on a suspension seat-post (a Thudbuster).

BikeSeat.jpg

I'm not much of a mountain biker but do enjoy zipping around on this one.  And I think of it as my 'SRV' (Self-Rescue Vehicle).  If I'm not careful riding, though, it could turn out more like an 'SIV'-- (Self-Injury Vehicle).

And here's a review / sales video of the bike from YouTube to show what's in the bag.  It's accurate enough but does not show the process of getting the bike into the (optional) storage bag.  That can be a bit of a struggle but improves with practice.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#2 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

I took a different route and went with a folding bike rack:
IMG_0081.gif
If you click on the image it will show both open and closed

Edited by BobM, 27 June 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#3 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:03 AM

Montague seems to be taking portabikes to a higher level.  They may gain a new customer (me) if and when they unveil a Version 2 Pro with dually softtail config.  I suspect there's one in blueprint phase as we speak. Thanks for the post, Crow. 

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#4 RoamingRobertsons

RoamingRobertsons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmay be lost

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

We went with a couple of folders from Bike Friday, www.bikefriday.com . They fit nicely behind one seat. They're not a rugged as a mountain bike but are usable on dirt roads in the configuration we bought.

Shown below in my trunk.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by RoamingRobertsons, 28 June 2015 - 09:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users