11 replies to this topic

#1 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

I did it. Took about an hour.

Here's the story: One of my Renology panels has been flakey for a long time. I thought it was connections and made and remade changes. Finally I stumbled on to the fact that the panel essentially stops working when it gets too hot. It will work early in the morning but quit as the temperature rises. I was able to replicate this was a panel fault by covering my other panel, checking for 0.0 amps on the controller then spraying water on the offender and finding 1.6 amps surging into the batteries. Over the next 15 minutes or so the current tailed off to under 0.5 amps and I stopped watching.

Haven't called Renology yet but figure they want the panel back for warranty replacement (though I cut the MC4 connectors off so not sure what they'll say). Even if no replacement, I wanted it off the roof.

Started last evening with an X-Acto chisel blade to cut into the Sikaflex I used to glue the panel down. Had a vague idea of getting a start and then using fish line to "floss" through the glue line. Scraped a little paint on the roof as expected but figured it was the price to be paid. Blade just wasn't very long and glue line pretty wide after all so stopped after working about a foot along the perimeter.

Woke up in the middle of the night slapping my forehead with the solution. Wood shims! No paint scrapes, pretty long and I have a bunch of them sitting on a shelf. This morning I used a handful of shims and a rubber mallet to hammer, shove and wiggle the shims between the panel and the roof. Took about an hour. Best part is I didn't get any splinters though gloves would have been a good idea. Now I have to get the rest of the stuff off the roof but I figure a plastic scraper might work pretty well.

Just a word to folks who are planning to glue panels to their roof: You really don't need a lot of glue. A thin bead around the outside to keep the elements from creeping in is plenty to hold that sucker on the roof and if you have to remove the panel at some time it will be way easier than having glue lines through the middle.

panelRemove01.jpg

#2 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

On the Renology web site it looks like gluing them down is a recommended application, but I've been talking to a friend who's a solar engineer (in preparation for buying a camper with solar, either preexisting or we'll put together our own system) and he strongly recommended a setup with air circulation behind the panels.

Here's an interesting link to an airstream site that talks about applying "Supertherm," a ceramic coating that limits heat gain, to the roof before attaching the panels.

http://www.airforums...s-102239-2.html

Sounds like you may have a warranty issue, but I was wondering about gluing panels directly onto a hot roof, and your post got me to searching online.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L CTD short bed quad cab, 2008 Hallmark Guanella

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:17 PM

DoGMAtix,

Apologies for a quick hijack, but I noticed you linked to Airforums. Are you an Airstream owner? Send a PM if you want.

Steve

I am haunted by waters

#4 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

PM sent

Attached Thumbnails

• truck and airstream small.jpg

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L CTD short bed quad cab, 2008 Hallmark Guanella

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

Alano,

That is good information. Seems to me we should have a pinned Post that organizes all these flexible solar  panel

experiences under one heading.

In the four Wheel camper discussion Don C has been discussing problem with 2 out of 3 bad panels. Post title "Electrical confusion".

I will PM one of the moderators and ask.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 05 July 2015 - 02:32 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#6 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

Alano - I need to remove two panels this weekend.  Do you think it would have helped any to get the edges up, spray adhesive remover under the edges and let it work for a few minutes?  I spent a few minutes working on mine tonight and worry that I may have used too much adhesive.  Its only when you try to take one off that you realize how little is needed to install.

If they become to much of a hassle to remove, Renogy has told me I can just glue the new ones atop the old.

Edited by DonC, 09 July 2015 - 03:46 AM.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#7 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:48 AM

I checked the data sheet and emailed the good people at Sikaflex and, as a polyurethane, it has no "antidote". Mechanical means are required. Your adhesive may have an antidote. If I had a remover / softener, I would have tried it.

Alan

#8 Sledawg

Sledawg

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:25 AM

DonC. I removed my panels that were glued with semi-permanent 3M by starting with a box cutter, then wedges as Alano suggested along with a 18" kitchen knife. Long kitchen knife was the key. I'll have to clean up the residual glue on the roof once I receive new panel.
2021 Off Road TACOMA 2013 FWC Fleet
Going Insane Diego!

#9 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

Hope I never need to know this, but thank you for sharing.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#10 alaskaguy

alaskaguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:00 AM

Hi fellas,

Just a tip... for anyone who is installing these flexible solar panels, I got an idea from a post over at expo. Basically, glue the panels to a sheet of aluminum first (thin sheet of aluminum) and then attach to the roof with screws. At least this is my plan. I can keep the panels to 0.5 inch thickness, and they are removable anytime. This wont work if you want to glue panels to your camper but it works good for my plan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users