Looking at new Alaskans

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:27 AM

We had the Alaskan upholstery and mattress replaced by Alaskan (bought used). My wife was not keen on any of the factory fabric options, so Bryan told her to buy whatever fabric she liked from wherever she wanted, and bring it or ship it to them, and they would replace the old fabric with that fabric, so that is what we did. Turned out VERY nice, top sewing/upholstery job. Likely Bryan would do that on a new one, too.

#92 Skutumpah

Skutumpah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:08 AM

there is a newer 8' CO for sale in Oakland right now

http://sfbay.craigsl...5622854773.html

Rusty thank you for bringing this to my attention. I contacted the seller and had a chance to look at the camper this afternoon. It is the first time I have seen the inside of an Alaskan camper. The camper is a 10 ft. CO and it is in good condition, clean, with some pretty straightforward maintenance work to be done. I like the space you get in a 10 footer, but I think I can live with something shorter and it would be easier to manage off road with a shorter model. One thing interesting about this particular camper is that it is a 1995 camper and apparently pickup truck beds were wider at the tailgate then, than they are now. So this can not fit through a new model truck tailgate/truck bed opening. I know some of you have older Alaskans so I am curious how you handle that. I am leaning towards getting a new truck as the incentives right now are very good and make the prices people are asking for their used pickup trucks look ridiculous.

One thing the seller mentioned is that he was under the impression that a camper with a longer wheelbase and an 8 ft. bed rides better on the highway than a 6.5 ft. bed and shorter wheelbase. Certainly with a 10 ft. Alaskan this would be the case but would a 7 ft. Alaskan handle the same in 6.5 ft bed as an 8.5 ft. Alaskan in an 8 ft. bed on the highway. Off road the shorter the better I would think.

I hope to get up to visit Alaskan Campers this Summer to see the different sizes and latest configuration/accessories. I was just up your way passing through Sebastopol last month, but I only get up there once or twice a year.

#93 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:01 PM

Alaskan CUSTOM makes each and every camper for a customer to the CUSTOMER's specifications.
The length you want..... Any length you want in fact.
Interior arrangement is also specified by the customer.

Yes, there are actually limits to things like CO length because of the laws of physics...... But that's fair. Lol

#94 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

I'm "adjusting" the rear end of a 73' 10'CO right now.....

you take 3" off the passengers side extension (bottom half) right behind the wheel well...it straightens things right up.  

This CO had some interesting deviations as well...the passenger side extension was shorter than any other I'd ever seen...so I "adjusted" it to properly fit and use space a little better. 

Skutu...call ahead and talk to Bryan to determine what they're working on when you'll be there. Their schedule changes from 8-7.5-10-12...it's always interesting...and you'll see the new facility.  That 10' in Oakland was just for a look...there was a bit of damage to the top which someone had "neatly taped"...hard to tell what was under that tape.

If you're buying a new truck....I think Don Wheat, Brian's Dad has one for sale which would fit a new truck...loaded 2010 but it's a 10'....bucks to be saved there...$25k..loaded...ad #1616 on the Alaskan Campers classified section.  That's a 40-45k camper loaded

Edited by Rusty, 12 June 2016 - 10:14 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users