#1 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationArcadia, California

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:55 AM

Hello, though new to this forum, I've owned  popup campers for over 22 years. The first was a custom made Hallmark 8' Victor w/ full bath for a shortbed truck, then a Hallmark Cuchara in 2000.

I hope you find my conversion interesting.

A couple months back I bought a used FWC Kestrel shell (found through this forum, thank you) to mount on my '09 Silverado std bed 2500 crewcab. Though the common thought is to find a Hawk and tie it down, the Kestrel was exactly what I was looking for, as the truck serves as a multi-purpose platform.

The truck has a LoadnGo removeable toolbox/bed which I forklift on/off with the intregaled fork pockets.

The plan from the beginning was to make a metal pallet base for the Kestrel that allowed the quick exchange of work box to camper.

The base is not attached to the camper, rather the base has a seriies of tabs that align it with the camper when lifted. The reason for this was not to have extra weight hanging from the camper if it was off the truck sitting on camper jacks. Without the jacks, the camper stores on the pallet base.

The following photos are after the original fitting and after having the base powder coated. The first exchange of the camper to the work box took less than 1 hour including the time to release the turnbuckles and mount the box's tiedown and take photos. I believe in real complete worktime with setup and cleanup.

This pics are the basic fitting. Turnbuckles have been replaced with qwik loads. With the removal of the camper jacks and use of the qwik loads, I expect the exchange tine to get down to around 30 minutes, by myself. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 3s.jpg
  • 2s.jpg
  • 7s.jpg
  • 8s.jpg

#2 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:08 AM

To continue with the pallet base.

The materials are mostly 1x3 to get the needed height over the side of the truck.  1x2 to frame the fork tubes. The tabs are angled out to ease the alignment when the camper isn't stored on the base.

The layout was choosen figuring the 1x3 s would best support the camper as "fork extensions"

Attached Thumbnails

• 4s.jpg
  • 6s.jpg
  • 5s.jpg
  • 10s.jpg

#3 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:17 AM

And the final pic of the camper with the jacks removed, as there is no further need to work on the base away from the shell.  If I do, the jacks can be refitting in a matter of minutes.

Next is to finish the interior to my liking. Again, thought will be going into this, as some components with be sharing time with my Jeep JKU and other vehicles. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 11.JPG

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:20 AM

Wow.  That is awesome.  Don't think I've seen anything close to that.  Looking forward to seeing interior pictures.  John

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:06 AM

A forklift shure makes it easy on and off. Looks like a nice setup. With your frame you could bolt the camper to it and then use the same mounts for your tool box to attach the frame to the bed of the truck. Turnbuckles or qwik loads are not needed. I like your set up. Enjoy your new Kestrel!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:12 AM

pvstoy,

There is no need to attach the pallet to the camper with any type of mounting system ( the pallet locks in place to the camper when together).  I could have easily used the exterior Torklifts for the camper too, but didn't want anything additional outside of the truck that could get snagged off road. The toolbox has concealed mounts, but require a bit of fitting, and not too quick, so I designed tubes that mounted where the jacks go to remove the tool box and used  the Torklifts for a quick load/unload.

The shell has a rollover couch, which I plan to replace with a front dinette, hopefully built with 2 sets of the rollover hardware which I plan to modify for a different type of application. If I get it done, I'll posts pics, but a little hard to describe ( you know, 1 pic= a 1000 words  :)  )

#7 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:23 PM

wow, this is exactly what I need. I have a chevy 1500hd,  and have my eye on a used kestrel at the moment.

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

Every Man needs a fork lift!!

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#9 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:17 AM

wow, this is exactly what I need. I have a chevy 1500hd,  and have my eye on a used kestrel at the moment.

I changed truck and this setup is for sale. To be repeated on a fleet. I already calc'ed out the material and weight.A lot lighter than I thought, for the Fleet, 90 lbs, the one for the Kestrel I estimate 120 lbs.

Buckland, Dang right! A forklift in every garage! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users