• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:06 AM

I'd like to start a thread on an informal survey of the brand of solar panels people are using.  Don't need lots of detail, but I'm curious what everyone is using and what problems if any you are having.  This might help us to get an estimated failure rate for our usage of various brands/types, albeit an unscientific sample.   Are you happy with the decision or if you had to do it again, would you change?  If using flexible, how did you install - adhesive, velcro, tape, directly to roof or on a platform?

I'll start.

Renogy flexible 100w panels

- installed three directly to roof using adhesive in Dec

- all three have gone bad

- received two new panels and one of these may be bad

Renogy seems a great company, customer service very helpful, maybe I've just been unlucky.   Looking at options...

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:14 AM

Renogy 100w on the roof and a 120w solar in a bag. Run both through the 30 amp Renogy controller.  Happy with both so far. Only put out the 120w when I am in one place for a few days. If I move every other day the 100w and truck keep me full.

#3 SB_Surf

SB_Surf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:15 AM

We have two 100W Renogy flexible panels adhered to the roof, and the 30A Renogy Controller. The panels are less than 1 year old and have traveled approx 4500 miles. Our camper is mostly off the truck and in the garage with all systems powered Off. All good so far.

What was Renogy's response to DonC's returned panels?

2018 Sprinter, 2013 FWC Fleet on 2010 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,303 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:38 AM

I have two panels.A 45w Sunforce and a 60w Renogy,both are monocrystalline.

My last trip was on the Oregon  coast where the camper sat for 3 days in shade,producing about 1w.I have a Truckfridge 45 and used battery only for some lights and the coffee grinder,still had a reading of 12v.

The 105w my panels produce seem to supply my needs.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

I have the FWC factory 100w (Zamp?) on the roof and a 60w foldable (PowerFilm) and they seem to do OK.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#6 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

I have the factory installed 100W Zamp and Zamp controller.  I added the portable, folding, Zamp 80W (plug in without the controller since the wall plug wire goes directly to the controller).  So far everything is working as it should.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#7 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

I have 2 Renogy 100W panels on the roof with a 30amp PWM Renogy controller.  The configuration has served me very well and has been on for about a year now with the camper on for all but 3 winter months.

To add another data point I put the same setup on a friend's vintage trailer down in Las Vegas this past spring and it is going strong as well.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#8 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

I started with 2 bendable Renogy 100 W panels glued to the roof and a 30 amp Morningstar controller. I added a rigid 100 W Renogy panel to the roof that I can take down for portable use if desired. I have since replaced both bendable panels (under warranty) though I mounted them on an aluminum structure for easy replacement if required (I also saved the shipping box).

Alan

#9 orion

orion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationDixon, CA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

I have a ramsond mono 100w panel on the roof. Morningstar mppt-15L controller, 2x deka 79ah baterries. I also installed an additional solar plug on the side of the camper to plug in a renogy suitcase 100w panel. 

The ramsond is a great panel, have had really good luck with it. 

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

I have 2 Renogy 100W panels on the roof with a 30amp PWM Renogy controller.  The configuration has served me very well and has been on for about a year now with the camper on for all but 3 winter months.

To add another data point I put the same setup on a friend's vintage trailer down in Las Vegas this past spring and it is going strong as well.

That's what I have,. plus a large compression frig/freezer and once I figured out how it all works together, I've had no  major problems.  My major bitch though is hearing the dang frig turning off and on all the time and yes i know that i can turn in down to stop the noise!  I run it on high at first(when charging up) and once at my first stop turn it down to 3-4.5 (as suggested by someone on this site). just have to learn to play with it <_< !  As long as it keeps charging during the day things are just fine.Oh ya, try no to park the truck with the sun shinning directly on the frig also helps.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users