15 replies to this topic

#11 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,029 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

Welcome. Good to have another sacramentan here. Nice rig.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#12 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:18 PM

Hi All,

Got the Grandby mounted late last week. A friend asked if I would help him “open the road” to
his cabin, which is on a private road, about ½ mile from “Chalk Bluff Road” off Hy 20 near Nevada City. We arrived at the locked gate, and just inside I could see the first of what would be six downed trees across the road. After winching three out of the road, and chain-sawing three more we made it to the cabin. As I was unloading the camper, I watched the rear tire of the truck go flat. On investigation we discovered a large chunk of wood stuck right through the sidewall on an almost new Toyo M/T tire. The truck looked kinda sad sitting on the jack, but’s that’s how I spent Friday night..First night in the Grandby and I slept like a log. Saturday morning we loaded the tire in Ted’s Jeep and headed to Les Schwab tire Grass Valley. They replaced the tire with a new one at no cost..way to go Les Schwab. Night two was also spent in the Grandby .All in all, a fun weekend, even having to do a lot of work Looks like I’ll be enjoying the camper
for quite some time.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_7213.jpg
  • DSC_7218.jpg

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#13 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:42 AM

hey deltarat

did you have to add any wood under the camper before setting it in the truck bed ?

looks like a really tight fit over the truck cab ?

has it touched the top of the truck cab yet ?

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#14 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:37 AM

Deltarat, Welcome to the forum. We don’t have a screen door on our camper and have not missed it. Our warmest camp last year was in Snow Canyon near St. George, Utah. It was about 80 degrees when we went to bed and there were lots of mosquitoes. Sleeping with our heads near the boot screens was unsettling, hearing them zinging away only a few inches away. The mosquitoes knew we were there and were determined to get us! Not a one made it inside, but is tested our nerves.

At that point, we were on our way to “Sweet Home Alabama” from Alaska where he had no mosquitoes at all, having arrived on “The Last Frontier” in the latter half of August. I’m no expert, but I think the mosquitoes diminish when it cools enough at night to kill them. Whatever the reason, we had no mosquitoes in Alaska or the Yukon. We found the weather almost perfect for touring and camping in late August and early September. The camp fires at night were nothing short of wonderful.

After returning to Alabama, we read a post on a forum by a person traveling the same Alaska Highway we had been over two weeks before under beautiful blue skies with shirt sleeve evenings, who experienced heavy snow on September 15. It soon melted. Be prepared to sit tight waiting out a storm if the season is late. At the Alaska – Yukon border, we met two camper trailer rigs heading north. Two couples convoying together had been up before during October and were expecting some nice days. The men were in their 70s, both experienced hunters, former road bull dozer driver construction men still wearing their kaki work uniforms … tough old birds … so, consider the source.

You will see other Four Wheel Campers in Alaska. Truck campers are the ticket. Dirt roads head off into “who knows where”. If exploring is your game, the ability to turn around in limited space is very important.

Deltarat, fuel prices in Canada were higher than in the US and it didn’t bother me a minute. -John D

Attached Thumbnails

• 1500 dollars in fish.jpg
  • 1942 ALCAN truck.JPG
  • Alaska State Bird.JPG
  • Leaving Alaska.JPG

#15 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:14 PM

[quote name='Stan@FourWheel']
QUOTE]

If it hasn't, it will!

Nice looking rig DR...Shoulda gotten the BFG's!! I've had the tripple sidewall on the BFG's bend a nail away before!

TT
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#16 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

hey deltarat

did you have to add any wood under the camper before setting it in the truck bed ?

looks like a really tight fit over the truck cab ?

Hi Stan, I did as you suggested earlier and placed a chunk of 5/8 plywood under the camper. The front of the overhang clears the top by 1 1/2 inches. The camper has not hit the top, even on some rough 4X4 trails this weekend. Let me know what you think minimum clearance should be and I'll raise it some more.

By the way, thanks for taking a minute out of your busy day to say Hi on the 22nd, it was a pleasure meeting you.

Thomas Tierra: Those Toyo's are load range "E" 10 ply rated tires..I don't think any tire would have survived what happened to that one.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users