• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:41 AM

This may be one step towards obsessive at this point but I can't decide if I want to stick with flexible panels or move to another option. Renogy gave me the option to return my still working panel minus a 10% restocking fee towards a foldable solar suitcase. The major downside is I only get the warranty from my original date of purchase and the suitcase weighs 27 lbs!

I would like to make a list only thread of working a non-working panels only. No discussions as there are plenty of other threads for that. I can maintain the list and hopefully RC Pilot Jim will add it to the ultimate flexible solar thread. Please include how long you have had the panel, how many you have, how it is installed and whether or not it is still working. Hopefully this will give us a real data set so we can decide how paranoid we want to be about this technology. I took the liberty of starting the list of those I know. Please correct me if I got something wrong.

Working:
Ethergore- 1 panel, used as a portable, bought in June 2014
RC Pilot Jim- 1 panel, mounted on roof, bought November 2014
DrJ- 3 panels, mounted on roof, bought ~January 2014
LookyLou- 2 panels, not sure how they are used, 1 just purchased and 1 just exchanged
AlanO- 2 panels, mounted on roof, 2 bought September 2014 and 2 recently exchanged
Hodakaguy- 3 panels, mounted on roof with vents, bought ~ June 2014
PaulT- 1 panel, portable, bought ?
Camper101- 1 90w global solar, bought October 2014
100acrehuphalump- 2 panels, mounted to roof, bought ?
Photohc- 1 panel, portable, bought ~July 2014
DesertDave- 2 panels, 1 portable and 1 mounted (50 watt), 100w bought June 2014, 50w Jan 2015
DavidO- 2 panels, portable, bought?
Spitfire- 2 panels, mounted to roof, bought early 2015
cdbrow1- 1 panel, mounted to roof, May 2015
Stalking Light- ? panels, used ?, bought ?
SB_Surf- 2 panels, mounted on roof, December 2014 ("lightly loaded")
Sledawg- 2 panels, , 1 bought July 2014 still good, 1 bought Dec 2014 and exchanged July 2015
brianjwilson- 4 (2 x 100w, 2 x 50w), mounted on roof with velcro, bought July 2015
Squatch- I think he has at least 1, not sure

Not working-
DonC- 6 panels, mounted on roof, 3 bought in March, 3 exchanged in July
AlanO- 2 panels, mounted on roof, bought September 2014
LookyLou- 1 panel, dead on arrival, just purchased
Sledawg- 1 panel, mounted on roof, bought December 14
TravelAmateurs-2 panels, mounted on roof, bought ?
Rustyinbender-2 panels, mounted on roof, bought June 2015

I highlighted the ones working but only recently bought or exchanged. Just upon compiling this list I notice we collectively have a lot of panels and it seems a good amount are still working. I also want to add the fact that Renogy has had no problem replacing these panels.

Edited by Ethergore, 21 November 2015 - 04:12 PM.

#2 SB_Surf

SB_Surf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:56 AM

2 panels Dec 2014 with 4000 miles, caulked to roof, 90% of time in garage, solar only switched On when not driving, rarely used to power 3-way Dometic...so, lightly loaded.

2018 Sprinter, 2013 FWC Fleet on 2010 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed

#3 Sledawg

Sledawg

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:30 AM

2 panels glued. 1st panel bought July 2014... Still working to spec. 2nd panel bought Dec 14. Notice amp drop intermittently in March 15. Failed completely in June. Average 7 days a month camping with a fully loaded Fleet with 80L comp fridge. Garaged when not in use. Replacement mounted with Velcro. Tracer MPPT 2215 Controller. Life has gotten in the way....need to get out to ring out new panel. If I have another failure will replace with rigid panel.
2021 Off Road TACOMA 2013 FWC Fleet
Going Insane Diego!

#4 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

100W flex portable in use since 6/2014  working

50W flex glued down in use since 1/2015 working

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#5 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:11 PM

This has been an interesting discussion for me to watch. 

I am curious to know why these panels have failed (probably like everyone else).

I appear to have one of the longest running set of panels to this point.

In those panels that have failed has anyone:

Modified the MC4 connectors?

Added a fuse to the positive side of the solar system when they were installed?

Changed the interior wiring from the panels to the batteries - or considered a short in the wiring?

All purchased them from Renogy solar?

These panels are certainly susceptible to damage from electrical shorts especially at the connection points.

It could just be bad panels, but I would guess there are probably several reasons why panels have failed in the last several months.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#6 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

DrJ,

I cut off the MC4 connectors after noticing low current from my panels. I thought it was a connection problem since on my first trip I had an open that I fixed with just unplugging and replugging the MC4 connectors. For a long time I thought the poor performance was a connection / wiring problem since the open circuit voltage of the panels was always pretty good.

I have a fuse on the + side inches from the input to the charge controller.

I have not changed the camper wiring from the roof to the battery box.

I purchased my panels from Renogy directly.

I believe the failures are heat related - most of us who had failures purchased and installed them in cooler months and replaced them in warmer ones. Plus shortly before one of my panels gave up for good it produced less than an amp with good sun in the mid-afternoon yet in the cool of the next morning with a more extreme sun-angle it produced over 2 amps. Truck parked in the same place and not moved. Confirming evidence supplied by Renogy with their new mounting suggestion.

I mounted the replacements on an aluminum structure above the roof and (fingers crossed) they are working almost as well as my rigid panel. I believe the difference may be due to the flexible panels not being perfectly flat so while some parts are at a better angle to the sun, some are at a worse angle and that hurts performance slightly (maybe a quarter amp around noon). Even when glued to the roof, the panels were not as flat as the roof due to the distribution of the glue.

Alan

#7 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

This has been an interesting discussion for me to watch. 

I am curious to know why these panels have failed (probably like everyone else).

Yea. I hoping that if we get enough data we can see some trends.

#8 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

Alan,

You may be right on the air circulation part, but I always wonder about the other possibilities. I guess it's an occupational thing!

I did not cut my MC4 connections. I do have a fuse and used the same wiring from FWC. My panels were not purchased through Renogy but another seller from eBay. I am up in Idaho, but the panels get use all of time since my camper is out in the sun often.

I've ordered a new Grandby to replace my hawk - so I will be doing another solar setup.

I am coming up on 2 years of use with 3 panels glued and no issues. I love my setup and it puzzles me why others have failed.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#9 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:52 PM

Have had my 100w panel mounted on a foam core and used as a portable panel for over a year. No issues. Originally purchased from Renogy.

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#10 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:25 PM

It is a mystery to me why some of us have had much more trouble than others despite similar experiences. Could be some change in process or design at the factory or an unidentified user error. Like the number of licks to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop, we may never know.

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users